Good New Restaurants

Not exactly on topic but is there a decent local bagel place anywhere? Hate giving my money to Brueggers.

I Live in NYC, and "Poppys" was the closest to a standard Pretty damn good NYC bagel, though no where near as good as the one or two places I swear by up here,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now, Mattie’s Diner has apparently found a new home

Julie Porter, president of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Housing Partnership, said Wednesday that Mattie’s Diner would be putting stakes down at the Brightwalk development and re-opening in about a year.

Brightwalk is the mixed-income community about a mile north of the Music Factory.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/84442/matties-diner-will-new-home-charlottes-north-end/

• Like 1

I tried Yamazaru the other night (new sushi place at the end of the white building next to Sycamore on Hawkins). I was pretty impressed. I know we have a lot of sushi restaurants, but it fills a nice mid-level niche in price and atmosphere and not only was the food quality higher than I'd expected for the price (more expensive than Ru Sans but cheaper than most others), I got a LOT more food than I expected. There also is a bit more focus on appetizers, ramen, udon, rice bowls, etc, to the point where they could probably call it more of an izakaya concept.

Heading to uptown tonight for dinner at Stoke. We are thinking of some post dinner drinks somewhere after. Been to the usual places, Ritz, Fahrenheit, Cellar, Bentley's. Was thinking about the Punch Room since we haven't been there yet. Anyone have another suggestion for a new place that has opened? 

31 minutes ago, HopHead said:

Heading to uptown tonight for dinner at Stoke. We are thinking of some post dinner drinks somewhere after. Been to the usual places, Ritz, Fahrenheit, Cellar, Bentley's. Was thinking about the Punch Room since we haven't been there yet. Anyone have another suggestion for a new place that has opened? 

Stoke Bar itself is pretty nice and worth a drink! I still think at the moment that The Cellar has the best drinks in town, but here are my thoughts on some others:

Punch Room - Go up and get on the waiting list before dinner. It's worth going once or twice, and is definitely an experience, but I don't think the details that turn a $12 drink into $19 really blew me away as much as I had hoped.

The Imperial - Drink list is not super inspired but solid, and I just love the vibe of the place. Live jazz most nights, cozy atmosphere with some cool details to the space. 

The Cotton Room - Super small and might be busy...I was packed shoulder to shoulder when I went, but the bartenders still took their time and I thought the drinks were great.

The Whiskey Room - I still haven't gotten in here...every time I try it seems like they have a private event, but I still hear good things.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

Stoke Bar itself is pretty nice and worth a drink! I still think at the moment that The Cellar has the best drinks in town, but here are my thoughts on some others:

Punch Room - Go up and get on the waiting list before dinner. It's worth going once or twice, and is definitely an experience, but I don't think the details that turn a $12 drink into $19 really blew me away as much as I had hoped.

The Imperial - Drink list is not super inspired but solid, and I just love the vibe of the place. Live jazz most nights, cozy atmosphere with some cool details to the space. 

The Cotton Room - Super small and might be busy...I was packed shoulder to shoulder when I went, but the bartenders still took their time and I thought the drinks were great.

The Whiskey Room - I still haven't gotten in here...every time I try it seems like they have a private event, but I still hear good things.

Agree with all of the above, the Whiskey Room unfortunately becomes regular old RiRa with a crappy band around 10pm

So last night was our first time dining at Stoke after only going there for drinks previously. My review: "A" on the food. I got the pork shank with brussel sprouts. Wife had the kale salad (she wasn't feeling well) We had the pretzel app with 3 different spreads. All exceptional. Then had the donut desert. Holy crap that thing was huge. Good for probably 8 people. If you like a sugar rush this is certainly for you. However, I give the service a "D". Our waitress wasn't very attentive. Took forever to get drinks... Granted the bar was packed, but still shouldn't have to wait 15 minutes. Could've been they were short staffed, but still at least offer an explanation for why you were MIA for most of the night. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Prodev said:

Charlotte is finally getting a Shake Shack! Coming to Park Road Shopping Center next to the two new restaurants in a freestanding building. 

I had been waiting for this! I was thinking they'd take a spot uptown, amazed that they are going to Park Rd. Shopping Center.

18 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Has anyone tried to find a parking spot around lunch hour there? Much more difficult than a year or two ago. I think Teeter and perhaps another larger retailer will soon ask about reserved area for parking for their customers.

Just wait for Shake Shack... They will make the parking situation way worse.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/88070/shake-shack-park-road-shopping-center/
Guess urban planet is enough of a "tip" for the agenda. I reached out to both Edens and shake shack. Have contacts with both companies, neither would comment, speaking that shake shack was on shaky grounds with the state with HB2, and as closed lipped as Edens is I wouldn't have put it out there unconfirmed like that. That said... hi Ted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Guess urban planet is enough of a "tip" for the agenda. I reached out to both Edens and shake shack. Have contacts with both companies, neither would comment, speaking that shake shack was on shaky grounds with the state with HB2, and as closed lipped as Edens is I wouldn't have put it out there unconfirmed like that. That said... hi Ted!

I was surprised to see this this morning as well. But then again after the "banking bros" piece yesterday, nothing Ted does surprises me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I find it funny that HB2 is an issue. The company has restaurants in Russia, Lebanon, Qatar, UAE, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey. Of course, these countries welcome everyone regardless of religion and sexual orientation. LOL. However, maybe we are not talking about the huge chain out of NY.  There is a Shake Shack on Wilkinson Boulevard that really is a shack, but I don't think we are talking about a momma/poppa place. Right?

Edited by caterpillar2

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

He got the location wrong too. It's not the existing bank spot, it's the vacant pad where a PNC bank was supposed to go directly next to Burtons.

14 minutes ago, grodney said:

Please take this to an appropriate thread.  I read this thread to find out about Good New Restaurants.

I was responding to the opening or not-opening of the Shake Shack. Read the message previous to mine for which I replied.  I would like to see it opened, but I am curious of the legitimacy of the reason they may not open if it is the reason. 

Edited by caterpillar2