Good New Restaurants

Ford Fry will open up an El Phenix in the redeveloped Strawberry Hill shopping center. He is a great restaurant owner from Atlanta. I have been to his Alpharetta location and it is was muy delicioso  http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/05/19/new-tex-mex-concept-coming-to-south-charlotte.html?ana=e_me_set2&s=scroll&ed=2017-05-22&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1495457352&j=78225741  He is also opening another Mexican place in the Design Center of the Carolinas in South End. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a takeout pizza from Desano in Cherry tonight. The place was dead at 7:00...maybe as many employees as customers, which I found odd since it's a new restaurant and hyped by the Agenda so much. Service was quick given I was the only person in line and pizzas are turned around in 5 minutes.

I so much wanted to love this place, but ultimately it was...meh. The pizza (I got the Desano pizza) was just surprisingly mediocre. Not bad, but there are too many other great spots in Charlotte. The crust was tasty, but the toppings and sauce were scarce. The quality of the Italian sausage didn't stand out, and would have been much better if crumbled in smaller bits. 

I just was left with no desire to go back, and with the outrageous prices ($15 for personal, $23 for a large), I just don't know if this spot will last. And it has potential...a lot of $$$ was put into this joint and the interior is awesome. Just wished the food lived up to my expectations. So, a big "meh" from me on this one. I might give them another shot in a few months to see if they just were not on their game yet since it's so new.

1 hour ago, ScottCLT said:

I picked up a takeout pizza from Desano in Cherry tonight. The place was dead at 7:00...maybe as many employees as customers, which I found odd since it's a new restaurant and hyped by the Agenda so much. Service was quick given I was the only person in line and pizzas are turned around in 5 minutes.

I so much wanted to love this place, but ultimately it was...meh. The pizza (I got the Desano pizza) was just surprisingly mediocre. Not bad, but there are too many other great spots in Charlotte. The crust was tasty, but the toppings and sauce were scarce. The quality of the Italian sausage didn't stand out, and would have been much better if crumbled in smaller bits. 

I just was left with no desire to go back, and with the outrageous prices ($15 for personal, $23 for a large), I just don't know if this spot will last. And it has potential...a lot of $$$ was put into this joint and the interior is awesome. Just wished the food lived up to my expectations. So, a big "meh" from me on this one. I might give them another shot in a few months to see if they just were not on their game yet since it's so new.

Wow that's disappointing. They are opening a location at Waverly Place also.

I've been to Desano twice. The first was the day after they opened, and the pizza was outstanding, as good as anything I've had in Charlotte. You could really taste the higher-quality ingredients.

I went again and this time the pizza was... meh. I'm hoping they're just working out kinks in their operation and that the 'meh' is an aberration.

9 hours ago, Vitamin_N said:

I've been to Desano twice. The first was the day after they opened, and the pizza was outstanding, as good as anything I've had in Charlotte. You could really taste the higher-quality ingredients.

I went again and this time the pizza was... meh. I'm hoping they're just working out kinks in their operation and that the 'meh' is an aberration.

Just tried Desano and I actually liked it. I loved the fact that they had Italian iced teas and coke products from Europe. The one thing I thought was odd was that there were two lines, one on both sides of the room and in between was the visual area where you could see the pizza makers. The weird part was the cashier farthest away was neglected. No one knew it was there so the other line was extremely long making it seem like the service was slow. As a manager myself, I couldn't help but let the customers know that there was another register open lol....I still think Inizio and Intermezzo are the best pizza (Italian style) in town. But of course if you like NY style or American style you might disagree. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2017 at 0:21 PM, Prodev said:

Charlotte is finally getting a Shake Shack! Coming to Park Road Shopping Center next to the two new restaurants in a freestanding building. 

The O has confirmed. We have a Shake Shack coming to Park Ross Shopping Center!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crown said:

Pretty excited about this - anyone have any hints on the location? Agenda hints at NoDa

Asheville’s popular White Duck Taco Shop is coming to Charlotte

Personally I'm guessing this will be at NoDa Station. There are a few houses being redone into restaurants, but I just don't see one of them being a taco shop. The aforementioned Salvador Deli spot seems to be a Jack Beagles associated project. That pretty much leaves just NoDa Station.

10 hours ago, Crown said:

Pretty excited about this - anyone have any hints on the location? Agenda hints at NoDa

I would give my right arm to have a Biscuit Head location in Charlotte - even more so than Biscuitville!!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JRNYP2C said:

I would give my right arm to have a Biscuit Head location in Charlotte - even more so than Biscuitville!!

Yeah...this is one of the best casual food restaurants I have ever eaten at. Every time we are in Ashevegas, we make it a point to get over to the West Asheville location for breakfast or lunch.  This place would have a line out the door 24/7 in Charlotte.  One in Southend and another in Ballantyne would kill it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:47 AM, Crown said:

Someone on Reddit posted it was NoDa in an existing space being converted:  https://www.reddit.com/r/Charlotte/comments/6g82ay/white_duck_taco_is_coming_to_charlotte/#bottom-comments

Went to Wu's today for lunch. I got the signature gumbo ramen. It was quite tasty, but really nothing more than...well, gumbo with some ramen noodles thrown in. Andouille sausage and crawfish were the meats. The "broth" was a thick gumbo roux. Some cilantro, veggies, and a soft boiled egg rounded it out. Would I get it again? Maybe, but not for a while. It was quite good, don't get me wrong, but I would only get it if you are in the mood for gumbo and not necessarily ramen. I also got a side of their miso broccoli and quinoa. Now THAT was amazing. I was intrigued by several items on the menu, but just had to try the ramen first. The menu is a step above what you might expect from Bottle Cap Group. I'll certainly be back to explore a little more.

Oh, and has anyone else tried the poutine at The Liberty? They have had it on the menu for a little while, but it's turned into a real "thing" there I guess, so I had to finally give it a shot. I got the Carnitas poutine the other week and if blew my F-n' mind. $9 is a steal for all the tender pork and goat cheese on top of the fries, cheese curds, and gravy. Apparently regular poutine is bottomless for $10 after 5:00 on certain days.

As you can see, I've been on a rigorous diet.

9 hours ago, ScottCLT said:

Went to Wu's today for lunch. I got the signature gumbo ramen. It was quite tasty, but really nothing more than...well, gumbo with some ramen noodles thrown in. Andouille sausage and crawfish were the meats. The "broth" was a thick gumbo roux. Some cilantro, veggies, and a soft boiled egg rounded it out. Would I get it again? Maybe, but not for a while. It was quite good, don't get me wrong, but I would only get it if you are in the mood for gumbo and not necessarily ramen. I also got a side of their miso broccoli and quinoa. Now THAT was amazing. I was intrigued by several items on the menu, but just had to try the ramen first. The menu is a step above what you might expect from Bottle Cap Group. I'll certainly be back to explore a little more.

Oh, and has anyone else tried the poutine at The Liberty? They have had it on the menu for a little while, but it's turned into a real "thing" there I guess, so I had to finally give it a shot. I got the Carnitas poutine the other week and if blew my F-n' mind. $9 is a steal for all the tender pork and goat cheese on top of the fries, cheese curds, and gravy. Apparently regular poutine is bottomless for $10 after 5:00 on certain days.

As you can see, I've been on a rigorous diet.

HAHAHAA! I'll try the poutine this weekend perhaps

13 hours ago, nonillogical said:

Yeah the poutine at Liberty is amazing. I stumbled across it there first, and keep ordering it other places but it hasn't compared yet. My wife is from Wisconsin, so she is rather critical of the cheese curds in all cases; nothing has really lived up to her expectations but she agrees Liberty is closest.

How is the vibe at Wu's? I am intrigued by the menu, but I find the entire approach to the place's concept and branding more than a little obnoxious, and I have an Asian friend with a connection to the Bottlecap owners who is actually fairly offended by it. In fact, I think the only Bottlecap bar I can stomach is Brazwells...I refuse to give Hot Taco any business, my experiences with All American Pub were off-putting, and Ink & Ivy is a living nightmare (that I'm weirdly grateful for since its like a bug zapper for the douchier elements Uptown). 

LOL, guess I'm not the only one who hates ink and ivy 'bro bar'. Since it's literally next door I was hoping I could convince myself to like it. I never even got seated before bailing.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2017 at 9:20 AM, nonillogical said:

How is the vibe at Wu's? I am intrigued by the menu, but I find the entire approach to the place's concept and branding more than a little obnoxious, and I have an Asian friend with a connection to the Bottlecap owners who is actually fairly offended by it. In fact, I think the only Bottlecap bar I can stomach is Brazwells...I refuse to give Hot Taco any business, my experiences with All American Pub were off-putting, and Ink & Ivy is a living nightmare

The vibe is more Cajun than Asian, I'd say, but I really didn't think twice about it when I was there. The concept of Cajun/Asian fusion is intriguing. The rest of the menu looks quite good. 

I haven't been to Ink N Ivy (been avoiding it based on exactly what you said about the "bros" - I can imagine that Ed Hardy and Affliction t-shirts abound). But as far as other BCG restaurants, I enjoyed Brazwell's food, and I'm even a fan of the food at All American Pub - I think it's above average bar food. The blue plate specials for lunch are great, and I've had some good sandwiches there too. The fried cheese sticks are killer - not your typical packaged cheesticks...these things are handmade with pepper jack and insanely delicious. I also really enjoy Hot Taco. I don't think there is anything offensive about it and am of the opinion that the fiasco with the statues outside was blown out of proportion. I go there usually once every two weeks, usually on Taco Tuesday. The tacos are creative and surprisingly good. The Camerones Caliente Taco and Hot Fish Taco are my favorites. And you can't beat it on a Tuesday when all tacos are $2. Three tacos plus unlimited chips and salsa (there's a good salsa/hot sauce bar) is enough to leave you stuffed for $6. And the food is really quite tasty, even if paying normal prices. 

On another note, I ate at Teriyaki Madness the other day at Metropolitan. It was also quite tasty for fast service Chinese. I mean, it's not going to blow your mind or anything, but it's a good spot in the same way that Chipotle is a good spot. The chicken and beef there much more closely resemble actual chicken and beef than most typical Chinese takeout joints. It's a chain, but not in the same category as Panda Express IMO. The flavors/sauces, quality of meat, size of serving, and the fact that it's made-to-order give it a leg or two up in the fast Chinese game. I'll most likely return the next time I'm in the mood for fast Chinese.

3 hours ago, ScottCLT said:

The vibe is more Cajun than Asian, I'd say, but I really didn't think twice about it when I was there. The concept of Cajun/Asian fusion is intriguing. The rest of the menu looks quite good. 

I haven't been to Ink N Ivy (been avoiding it based on exactly what you said about the "bros" - I can imagine that Ed Hardy and Affliction t-shirts abound). But as far as other BCG restaurants, I enjoyed Brazwell's food, and I'm even a fan of the food at All American Pub - I think it's above average bar food. The blue plate specials for lunch are great, and I've had some good sandwiches there too. The fried cheese sticks are killer - not your typical packaged cheesticks...these things are handmade with pepper jack and insanely delicious. I also really enjoy Hot Taco. I don't think there is anything offensive about it and am of the opinion that the fiasco with the statues outside was blown out of proportion. I go there usually once every two weeks, usually on Taco Tuesday. The tacos are creative and surprisingly good. The Camerones Caliente Taco and Hot Fish Taco are my favorites. And you can't beat it on a Tuesday when all tacos are $2. Three tacos plus unlimited chips and salsa (there's a good salsa/hot sauce bar) is enough to leave you stuffed for $6. And the food is really quite tasty, even if paying normal prices. 

On another note, I ate at Teriyaki Madness the other day at Metropolitan. It was also quite tasty for fast service Chinese. I mean, it's not going to blow your mind or anything, but it's a good spot in the same way that Chipotle is a good spot. The chicken and beef there much more closely resemble actual chicken and beef than most typical Chinese takeout joints. It's a chain, but not in the same category as Panda Express IMO. The flavors/sauces, quality of meat, size of serving, and the fact that it's made-to-order give it a leg or two up in the fast Chinese game. I'll most likely return the next time I'm in the mood for fast Chinese.

I don't get what people see in Hot Taco. Go to Lempira off Central Ave. best Mexican Food hands down! And prices there are not even half the price of Hot Taco. Guacamole for $2.50 and it's actually a nice fancy atmosphere too. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Temeteron said:

I don't get what people see in Hot Taco. Go to Lempira off Central Ave. best Mexican Food hands down! And prices there are not even half the price of Hot Taco. Guacamole for $2.50 and it's actually a nice fancy atmosphere too. 

Haven't had Lempira, but will put it on my list for when I want to drive. 

What many of us see in Hot Taco, is location and solid food... I personally try to drive as little as possible. For Mexican, it's Que Onda, it's on the ground level of my building; Sabor in Elizabeth, when I want to bike; or Hot Taco, when I want a nice walk along the Rail Trail or a short ride on the Blue Line. 

As for all the Ink n Ivy hate, it certainly has earned some of that negativity, but I'd encourage you not to write it off. We have gorgeous nights this time of year in Charlotte, and once you are at a table outside with friends and good conversation, it's easy to focus on them and the great views of Third Ward. All the buzz around drowns out a bit and you can still appreciate that patio... it's probably the best we have in the city. 

Edited by JoshuaDrown
  • Like 2