Good New Restaurants

I visited Nolen Kitchen last night. Great spot -- the interior was just beautiful. The food was also good, with something to fit every budget. My girlfriend and I opted for sandwiches -- 2 liquor drinks and 2 entrees ended up at $27. Of course, I could have also spent more than that on a single entree alone had I chosen to. I got the grilled cheese, which was more exciting than it sounds -- Gruyere, goat cheese, and (if I recall correctly) Fontina cheese...it was good portion and heaven for a cheese fanatic. My girlfriend also got "le burger"...I had a bite and it was awesome. The fries also wonderful, and were covered in seasoning and parmesan cheese.

I wish the guys that owned this place would invest in a similar downtown spot. Between Nolen Kitchen and Illios Noche (in South Charlotte), they have proven themselves to me. Both are very reasonably priced and have exceptional food. And the atmosphere at Nolen just can't be beat.

I really like Nolen Kitchen as well. Of course I liked that location's last incarnation as well : Kaffe Frappe. Everyone else in this town seemed to harsh on it though :lol: I thought their model of upscale IHOP meals all day was a winner. Anyhoo, NK maintains Frappe's cool vibe with a more diverse menu and we need more upscale casual bistros like this intown.

I really need to get over to Catalunya and try it after hearing all these great reviews. I walk from my apt for dinner all the time. And need to balance out my trips to Brixx or Moe's. I do worry about the location though. Longevity has not been kind to the prior occupants of their space.

Edited by voyager12

I had dinner at "BLUE" restaurant in the Hearst Tower on Saturday. I was thoroughly impressed, had a great meal. I ordered the chef's special that day which was a 3 oz. Kobe beef short rib, with a side of butternut squash soup with crab meat on top. What an amazing autumn meal...

the best part was after dinner, we went over and got a drink at the bar and listened to a VERY good jazz quartet play for a while... very entertaining and relaxing scene. My only complaint was the price of that one drink I ordered - $12.50 for a Johnny Walker Black on the rocks. I know that scotch is not going to be cheap anywhere, but I thought that was kind of steep...

All in all, it was a great dinner experience in the heart of Uptown. Good crowd - the place was packed.

I had dinner at "BLUE" restaurant in the Hearst Tower on Saturday. I was thoroughly impressed, had a great meal. I ordered the chef's special that day which was a 3 oz. Kobe beef short rib, with a side of butternut squash soup with crab meat on top. What an amazing autumn meal...

the best part was after dinner, we went over and got a drink at the bar and listened to a VERY good jazz quartet play for a while... very entertaining and relaxing scene. My only complaint was the price of that one drink I ordered - $12.50 for a Johnny Walker Black on the rocks. I know that scotch is not going to be cheap anywhere, but I thought that was kind of steep...

All in all, it was a great dinner experience in the heart of Uptown. Good crowd - the place was packed.

Thanks for making my dinner plans! We are going to an event at The Mint downtown tonight and had not decided on where to go eat afterwards...I think I will order that entire meal!

I had dinner at "BLUE" restaurant in the Hearst Tower on Saturday...My only complaint was the price of that one drink I ordered - $12.50 for a Johnny Walker Black on the rocks. I know that scotch is not going to be cheap anywhere, but I thought that was kind of steep...
I had dinner at Mimosa Grill Wednesday night and paid $11 for a Knob Creek on the rocks. Highway robbery, it is! And it wasn't even a decent pour.

I had dinner at Mimosa Grill Wednesday night and paid $11 for a Knob Creek on the rocks. Highway robbery, it is! And it wasn't even a decent pour.

Well, I don't know if that is so out of line with nice establishments in other cities...I am in Dallas right now and went to the new Ghostbar here tonight at the W hotel and a house rum and coke was $9. Import bottled beers, also $9. The same prices applied to a couple less-swank joints here in Uptown Dallas. I can't imagine what a top-shelf drink would have run me, but I'm sure it would be more than $11 or $12.50.

Don't get me wrong...I am thinking highway robbery as well, but it's becoming more typical...

Edited by ScottCLT

I went to Brio last night and of course it was ok nothing special but i noticed the Oceanaire and was thinking of going there but it looked empty and dead inside, I wish i would have relaized it was the same resteraunt talked about earlier here i would have checked it out oh well maybe next time

• 2 weeks later...

I checked out Solstice Tavern this past weekend in NoDa. The atmosphere was lacking. It's nothing more than a bar with bar food. Good bar food, but still. I kept noticing the ads in Creative Loafing and went to check it out. I would probably frequent the place if I lived in NoDa, but it's not a destination by all means. If you are visiting the neighborhood, I'd stick with Cabo Fish Taco for eats.