Good New Restaurants

No French Dip update this time :), but I did give Roots Cafe a try today (where Cluck 'n Cup used to be on South Blvd.). Had their pastrami sandwich, and it was pretty awesome. The pastrami was cut nice and thick, with house made pickles. Could've used a bit more meat, but it was very satisfying. They had Up Dog Kombucha on tap - fill your own growler. I had to grab a mini growler of their lavender variety - quite tasty!

Went to Southbound today with high hopes with some friends but came away disappointed.  Having traveled to LA and Southern California a lot , I love the smaller Baja type Mexican places but it missed the mark. 

I found the menu limited, portions small for the price but the vibe is good and they have achieved a SoCal look. I will stick with Sabor or Cabo Fish Taco.  I mean I have had better SoCal Baja style Mexican food at Wahoo's Fish Tacos a regional chain from Orange County CA (and much cheaper)  I hope Jimmie Johnson can weather some losses or will insist on a change.  Go try it out for yourself as this is just my opinion. But my 2 friends felt the same way. 

IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

• Like 2

On 9/13/2017 at 2:57 PM, KJHburg said:

Went to Southbound today with high hopes with some friends but came away disappointed.  Having traveled to LA and Southern California a lot , I love the smaller Baja type Mexican places but it missed the mark. 

I found the menu limited, portions small for the price but the vibe is good and they have achieved a SoCal look. I will stick with Sabor or Cabo Fish Taco.  I mean I have had better SoCal Baja style Mexican food at Wahoo's Fish Tacos a regional chain from Orange County CA (and much cheaper)  I hope Jimmie Johnson can weather some losses or will insist on a change.  Go try it out for yourself as this is just my opinion. But my 2 friends felt the same way. 

I agree. Southbound was a big disappointment. I had lunch there yesterday. I loved the interior - probably would be a great place to hang out. But the food...meh.  The menu itself had no descriptions and options were very few. You can hardly even figure out what you are ordering - my group had about 10 questions to the server. I ended up getting their one and only burrito, but all the menu said was "SoCal Burrito." You have to ask questions to figure out that it is a carne asada burrito with french fries stuffed in it. No chicken or other option available for burritos. Anyway, it was $10 and was tiny. Flavors were decent, but not great. The beans that came with it were bland as could be - no flavor whatsoever. They have a salsa bar which is decent, but you cant just get chips. You have to pay for the guacamole ($5) or the pico ($4) to get chips. Then when they bring you the chips, you get about 15 of them - even when there are three of you. You can order more, but when you do that, they just bring 15 more chips. The cups at the salsa bar are really more like thimbles. They aren't big enough to dip a chip, so you have to pour salsa on each individual chip. Each thimble-full is good for about 3 chips. The street corn was delicious but pricey at $3 each. $9 for 3 ears of corn seems ridiculous. We ended up spending about $16/person plus tip to have a mediocre lunch that didn't fill us up, with water all around to drink. Hot taco offers free chips, larger portions, and honestly better tasting food. It was a real disappointment at Southbound, and unless they make changes, I have no reason to ever go back.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ScottCLT said:

I agree. Southbound was a big disappointment. I had lunch there yesterday. I loved the interior - probably would be a great place to hang out. But the food...meh.  The menu itself had no descriptions and options were very few. You can hardly even figure out what you are ordering - my group had about 10 questions to the server. I ended up getting their one and only burrito, but all the menu said was "SoCal Burrito." You have to ask questions to figure out that it is a carne asada burrito with french fries stuffed in it. No chicken or other option available for burritos. Anyway, it was $10 and was tiny. Flavors were decent, but not great. The beans that came with it were bland as could be - no flavor whatsoever. They have a salsa bar which is decent, but you cant just get chips. You have to pay for the guacamole ($5) or the pico ($4) to get chips. Then when they bring you the chips, you get about 15 of them - even when there are three of you. You can order more, but when you do that, they just bring 15 more chips. The cups at the salsa bar are really more like thimbles. They aren't big enough to dip a chip, so you have to pour salsa on each individual chip. Each thimble-full is good for about 3 chips. The street corn was delicious but pricey at $3 each. $9 for 3 ears of corn seems ridiculous. We ended up spending about $16/person plus tip to have a mediocre lunch that didn't fill us up, with water all around to drink. Hot taco offers free chips, larger portions, and honestly better tasting food. It was a real disappointment at Southbound, and unless they make changes, I have no reason to ever go back.

I saw Charlotte Agenda's advertisement on FB and Instagram and was not impressed. You have Mexican sodas. But freakin deal! There are 100 other places on South Blvd (God forbid people drive past Tyvola) and Central Ave. that have been selling Mexican sodas for decades.  It's sad to me that people need social media to explore and discover good restaurants. If it wasn't for the location and the fact that Jimmie Johnson owns this, I doubt that people would've been as excited

• Like 2

This picture of SouthBounds' guac looks disgusting. You might as well get the instant mix at Walmart. I'll stick to eating Mexican food at the good places on South Blvd outside of South End and realize this is just a party place / social scene to get an expensive drink. If I keep that in mind and view it as a bar rather than a restaurant, I could have a good time here for the atmosphere. 

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/southbound-charlotte-2?select=ZX3OW8ikCSiCqh-QVfw8RQ

Edited by CLT2014

On 7/7/2017 at 3:42 PM, KJHburg said:

Move over Waffle House your competition is coming! Huddle House from ATL

todays Biz Journal 

Huddle House is targeting the Charlotte market.

Expect up to 10 locations here within the next five years, says Christina Chambers, vice president of franchise development.

Huddle House was in Charlotte a million years ago. My hat's off to any place that serves drunks after midnight. I can occasionally relate to that. :)

@ScottCLT  I agree with what you said 100% I actually feel sorry for the employees. There was no diet colas either I said in Mexico they have Coca Cola Light but nothing at this place.  I had the same burrito you had and it had french fries in it. It was good but small as you said.  I was so disappointed and so were my 2 friends. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2017 at 1:18 PM, KJHburg said:

Now here is something to celebrate this is Bojangles birthday back in 1977 at South Tryon and West Blvd a new chicken joint opened called Bojangles https://www.ncdcr.gov/blog/2015/07/06/bo-time-began-in-1977

I am probably wrong, but wasn't the first Bojangles on South Boulevard and West Boulevard where Vinnie's was located and now is an Asian place? I thought for years that that was the building. 

On 9/21/2017 at 8:53 AM, SgtCampsalot said:

B. Good in Third Ward (4th St and S Church St) is INCREDIBLE. I have rarely like any restaurants in uptown; it's either bar food, or pretentiously expensive food that's just okay.

But B. Good clearly uses the best ingredients, even their meat! (which seems very rare). I highly recommend.

I’d second that. I got a burger there a few days after they opened and it was great - juicy and full of flavor. They also have Sir Kensington’s mustard and ketchup for condiments, which are both awesome on a burger. Free fries on the first visit if you download the app! The fries I had were crisp and fresh, but a couple coworkers of mine said theirs were a bit greasy and soggy, like they’d been sitting around for awhile. Anyway, my experience there was great. Not Bang Bang great, but no too far off either!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2017 at 8:17 PM, CLT2014 said:

Glad to see the nice patio at this space will be available again.

There must be some problem with that place (it's similar to how Hom - was a revolving door for restaurants for a while) Just seems a lot of concepts have gone through there but none stick.

32 minutes ago, Scribe said:

There must be some problem with that place (it's similar to how Hom - was a revolving door for restaurants for a while) Just seems a lot of concepts have gone through there but none stick.

Chuy's closed and moved to the new Waverly development because they said there was not enough parking right in front of the restaurant. Cowfish seems to do more than fine though in the adjacent location with the same parking situation. A restaurant that is upscale enough that customers are willing to pay for valet parking would probably do better in the location. 

Edited by CLT2014