Good New Restaurants

^^^ That corner of Southpark does have parking problems. To have 2 high volume restaurants there like Cowfish and back in the day Chuys was just too much.  Yes Chuys broke their lease to move out of there and they are doing fantastic in Waverly. I love that patio there but not sure how another restaurant will do there and yes I do believe higher end with valet may work maybe. 

• Like 1

We had a big group Friday and everybody loved it. We sat out in the patio area because it was a little less packed. I personally liked the fact that at least a dozen or two people came from the rail trail using that entrance. Great atmosphere, decent beer selection (oddly not from Hyde though, I think they only had 3 of theirs), though we didn't eat there the food looked great. A solid place for us, we'll definitely be back. 

Edited by 11 HouseBZ
Yup, I'm not good at words
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A group of us went to Angeline's at the Kimpton tonight.  Perfect weather today for the opening of the rooftop too btw.  Food was pretty good...about 5 different pasta options, pizzas, main entrees (chicken, duck, etc)...we had pasta dishes; they were really good, but super small.  Typical fine dining portions that are super small and pricey.  The service was great.  They were expecting big crowds and had greeters directing ppl in the lobby.  Only negative tonight was trying to see the rooftop area, merchant & trade.  1) There was a long line for the elevator.  2) Our group was unaware that there is a dress code to go up there.  No tennis shoes, guys must be wearing collared shirts (no tees), basically business cas/pro.  One of our members wasnt wearing a collared shirt (but had dress slacks and shoes on) but we decided to skip the rooftop (think they need to mention the dress code somewhere on the website).  A little surprising they were that strict, but just a heads up for anyone wanting to visit.   Overall, super nice as expected and will return at a later date to check out the rooftop.  Like every new spot in Charlotte, don't be surprised to wait in a line.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

No tennis shoes, guys must be wearing collared shirts (no tees), basically business cas/pro.  One of our members wasnt wearing a collared shirt (but had dress slacks and shoes on) 

Was he wearing a t-shirt with dress slacks? I would have also denied him entry on principle :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Was he wearing a t-shirt with dress slacks? I would have also denied him entry on principle :)

LOL no he wasn't...it was like a long sleeve henley type thing (which still looked nice).  No shorts or hats I don't think either.  Which makes me wonder how long they are going to keep this up.  Would be pretty disappointing to me not to be able to grab a few beers during the summer at the rooftop before a Knights game or anything really bc of the no shorts/dress code.  And if they are going to have Sunday gameday hours...you might as well just throw out the dress code...

*I mean I get it...trying to attract a certain clientele.  But considering you can walk into the Punch Room @ the Ritz or Sophia's Lounge @ The Iveys with ease...guess we'll see if they adapt. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

Went to Merchant & Trade Friday night, and can confirm the line was 1+ hours long. The upstairs area was busy, but not stifling, So the line control on the bottom was working.  Didn't try and of the food,  and I'm a super basic drinker, but the cocktails they were making looked impressive. 

Will go back for a more casual date night experience during the week for sure. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Crown said:

Went to Merchant & Trade Friday night, and can confirm the line was 1+ hours long.

Same, but since we stayed at the hotel for the weekend, their front desk will help you get on to the elevator without the 30+ minute wait in line. (We still waited ~5 minutes to get on the next elevator run).

I had their version of Old Fashioned (it was very good - maybe  my personal bias) and the lady had a Mojito. The food was actually very good (small plates, mushrooms, crab/shrimp cake sliders and dessert).

I like the layout of the rooftop better then Fahrenheit. It creates pockets for groups with plenty of space for couples... The place was busy, but the bartenders stayed on top of it, my first drink order took no more then 10 minutes from walking up (going through the drink list) to getting back to my date.

Angeline's - we only had breakfast since we had dinner plans elsewhere. With that limited experience, I came away satisfied.

• Bagel with smoked salmon - very good.
  • Ricotta Cheese Pancakes - excellent.
  • Banana Bread French Toast with fresh fruit - sweet and very filling.
  • Eggs with bacon and frites - the eggs were a bit salty.
  • Coffee was very good - but I forgot to check on what coffee they use.
  • Fresh juice - they were out of grapefruit juice...

46 minutes ago, Crown said:

Went to Merchant & Trade Friday night, and can confirm the line was 1+ hours long. The upstairs area was busy, but not stifling, So the line control on the bottom was working.  Didn't try and of the food,  and I'm a super basic drinker, but the cocktails they were making looked impressive. 

Will go back for a more casual date night experience during the week for sure. 

Heard by later in the night the wait was longer than the hours it was open, so they were turning people away.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to The People's Market for lunch. Man, that place is bare. The space they are in versus the amount of products that they have is really out of whack. There are just little shelves sparsely spread about with some local (and not local) goods. There is a good showing of Charlotte/Carolinas products, but it would have a better feel to it if the space were condensed. It's just way too big for what they have to offer.

And it's pricey - I got a Boar's Head pastrami sandwich (which was delicious, but a bit light on the meat) and an individual bag of chips and it was $14.  The individual-sized bag of chips was $3.99 alone.  And nearly everything else I saw on the shelves was overpriced too. I know these are local goods and I don't expect the same prices as a national brand, but it has to be within reason.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ScottCLT said:

Oh, trust me, if it were on the menu, I would’ve gotten it!

I was at the pasta and provisions on park road a few weeks ago and saw they have a french dip on the menu. I didnt get it but all their sandwiches are good so im sure its no different. 

• 2 weeks later...