Good New Restaurants

On 3/7/2018 at 2:22 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'd like to know @KJHburg thoughts on the new Quarter Pounder with fresh never frozen beef

image.png.f92d2b2ceb36897327056a1ea19151f8.png

Well I did the taste test today at the Concord Mills area McDonalds.  This by the way is the first time I have eaten something from McDonalds since November when I was in Hong Kong. The new quarter pounder is much better and juicier than the old frozen model.  To me it tasted like Wendys square burgers but of course the McDonalds fries are much better in my opinion. In the fast food category my favorite remains the Double Double from In N Out.  However I will be back occasionally and for a combo for $6.73 a good deal.    That is why I am so adamant about having a McDonalds uptown everyone doesn't want to pay $10-15 for a lunch.  In the store was a woman working on her I-Mac pro and a couple of families.  I am proud to be one of "those people" who eat there.  Even prouder to be among this greats who worked there.  (my favorite burger?  one I cook on my own grill) 

http://www.businessinsider.com/celebrities-who-used-to-work-at-mcdonalds/#for-more-humble-beginnings-check-out-17    The KJ may not have Bezo's wealth but we got our working start at McDonalds.  I was a great French Fry cook at a suburban Washington DC Mickey D's Burke VA  to be exact. 

https://www.ranker.com/list/celebrities-who-worked-at-mcdonalds/celebrity-lists

KJ the self appointed burger king of UP 

PS I sat on a leather couch in this very nice McDonalds with flat screens, electrical outlets for computers etc.   And yes my offer stands if uptown gets a new McDonalds McCafe coffees on me. 

UPmcdonalds.jpg

Upmcdonaldsubereats.jpg

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

I've been to McD's for quarter pounders a couple of times in the last week and KJHBurg is right on. It's a particularly big difference the first time you try it since you're expecting the usual McDonald's taste and you get something different/better. But yes, for the money it's a respectable value.

• Like 2

the line at Hollar and Dash was out the door around 9 this morning (I decided not to weather the storm). I know most of this is due to novelty but it reminded me how woefully undeserved Southend is for breakfast places. It has perfect demographics for 3-4 more boozy brunch / weekday staples joints. 

• Like 2

Finally made to to Hollar and Dash today (about 1:30, half an hour before close). They did a nice job with  the space (more room inside than it appears) but the food was (IMO) disappointing. 

Got a spicy chicken biscuit. Spice sauce was one dimensional (thickened Texas Pete I think), chicken was kinda spongy. The cardinal sin was a dry, not flaky, personalityless biscuit, although I'll concede that this was likely a  product of the time of day. On the plus side, the menu is certainly better than the bfast choices at Joe and  Nosh and it seems to be an equally good place to sit and work.

The tea is good.

I’ll try again, but I left sad.

Edited by kermit

2 hours ago, kermit said:

Finally made to to Hollar and Dash today (about 1:30, half an hour before close). They did a nice job with  the space (more room inside than it appears) but the food was (IMO) disappointing. 

Got a spicy chicken biscuit. Spice sauce was one dimensional (thickened Texas Pete I think), chicken was kinda spongy. The cardinal sin was a dry, not flaky, personalityless biscuit, although I'll concede that this was likely a  product of the time of day. On the plus side, the menu is certainly better than the bfast choices at Joe and  Nosh and it seems to be an equally good place to sit and work.

The tea is good.

Thank you, you have put a big dent in my constant lusting over Holler & Dash from afar. 

I went to Bang Bang Bites over the weekend. The food was very similar to the original Bang Bang, except in slider form, plus they have different sides (still have the same fries, though). Which is to say, it was pretty good. We were there Saturday around 1:00 and the place was almost completely full despite the fact that they're still in a soft opening.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2018 at 2:18 PM, kermit said:

Finally made to to Hollar and Dash today (about 1:30, half an hour before close). They did a nice job with  the space (more room inside than it appears) but the food was (IMO) disappointing. ...

Back for round 2 today (just before 8). Got a bacon egg and cheese. The bacon and cheese were both good (bacon was slightly overdone but I prefer that to under) and the egg was top notch (one of the best biscuit eggs in CLT). The weakpoint remains the biscuts, still dry, hard and bland. Overall it was OK --  a serviceable but not great breakfast joint.

I am still waiting on my dream breakfast, chickfla chicken on a Hardiees  biscuit (and half as many calories as the current cfa biscuit). On a good day Bo's can get close to this, but their chicken biscuit is highly variable.

I don't think I've seen anyone post about it yet and I posted prob a year or two wondering when Charlotte would finally get one...But has anyone tried the new Korean BBQ restaurant Lets Meat (next to Seoul Meat I believe)?   Just really happy to finally have some authentic Korean BBQ (with the grill in the middle of the table) here in Charlotte.  They're a dime a dozen in ATL.  Hopefully, just like the Poke Bowl craze going on, Let's Meat is one of many coming to the CLT!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, kermit said:

Back for round 2 today (just before 8). Got a bacon egg and cheese. The bacon and cheese were both good (bacon was slightly overdone but I prefer that to under) and the egg was top notch (one of the best biscuit eggs in CLT). The weakpoint remains the biscuts, still dry, hard and bland. Overall it was OK --  a serviceable but not great breakfast joint.

I am still waiting on my dream breakfast, chickfla chicken on a Hardiees  biscuit (and half as many calories as the current cfa biscuit). On a good day Bo's can get close to this, but their chicken biscuit is highly variable.

Believe it or not, I had one of the best biscuits of my life on an AA flight this past weekend.  It was topped with scrambled eggs and turkey chorizo but I was soooooo craving a chick fil a spicy chicken patty to top it (of course on a Sunday) 

18 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I don't think I've seen anyone post about it yet and I posted prob a year or two wondering when Charlotte would finally get one...But has anyone tried the new Korean BBQ restaurant Lets Meat (next to Seoul Meat I believe)?   Just really happy to finally have some authentic Korean BBQ (with the grill in the middle of the table) here in Charlotte.  They're a dime a dozen in ATL.  Hopefully, just like the Poke Bowl craze going on, Let's Meat is one of many coming to the CLT!

I want to try this so bad! It is more expensive than I am used to where these were common and you could find AYCE KBBQ for $12 - $15 regularly, but this is a more upscale place and this first in the area so I'll gladly pay $30. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

I want to try this so bad! It is more expensive than I am used to where these were common and you could find AYCE KBBQ for $12 - $15 regularly, but this is a more upscale place and this first in the area so I'll gladly pay $30. 

Nice!  Those AYCE's are in Cali right?  Yeah, they're usually a little bit less expensive than $29, but I'm just glad we finally have it as an option now.  Couple friends have said it was really good and the reviews seem to be good.  Just been waiting for the hype to die down a bit to avoid the long lines lol.   

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Famous Toastery is opening uptown this weekend.  When I go out for breakfast (which is not really that much) this is my go  to place.   https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/03/23/former-nfl-player-wife-offer-tour-of-new.html

I’m really excited about this, it fills in a nice niche Uptown... the sit down breakfast/brunch spot that isn’t a diner (RedEye Diner), not a bar or pub (Dandelion, The Daily, Murphy’s, Ink N Ivy), not a market (Rhino Market), not specifically Southern (Mert’s Heart an Soul), and not the more upscale brunch type (Halcyon, 5  Church, The Asbury).

Geesh, now that I’m thinking about it, there is about any type of breakfast spot one would like.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Least attractive new restaurant. The hotel already looks super cheap outside...Hip minimalism isn't working here.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2018 at 8:34 AM, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

My wife and I attempted to this past weekend. I think we'll wait until they iron some of the kinks out. We went to the door and were told it'd be an hour wait (early, too!), so we went elsewhere. Not fifteen minutes later, they call me and tell me they can seat me. I suspect they need some more experience with how long it actually takes to seat people (and they need to not take names when people say they won't wait, so the quoted times don't get inflated). My wife loves Korean food, so we'll be back, but... I think we'll wait until the "newness" fades a little.

We ended up at Tupelo Honey Cafe, which was... okay? The food was good. The drinks were good. The apps were good. The service was good. The food was good. Then I got the check and it was $80. So... yeah. Overpriced for what it was.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, asthasr said:

My wife and I attempted to this past weekend. I think we'll wait until they iron some of the kinks out. We went to the door and were told it'd be an hour wait (early, too!), so we went elsewhere. Not fifteen minutes later, they call me and tell me they can seat me. I suspect they need some more experience with how long it actually takes to seat people (and they need to not take names when people say they won't wait, so the quoted times don't get inflated). My wife loves Korean food, so we'll be back, but... I think we'll wait until the "newness" fades a little.

We ended up at Tupelo Honey Cafe, which was... okay? The food was good. The drinks were good. The apps were good. The service was good. The food was good. Then I got the check and it was $80. So... yeah. Overpriced for what it was.

I was planning on going this weekend with some friends but was still in Winston.  My friends said the same thing about the wait, but I think they went over to Seoul for some drinks (I bet the majority of ppl waiting for Let's Meat do this).  They said the food was actually pretty good and on par with places in ATL which is good.  Hope to try it soon though!

KJ Restaurant Review: The opinions expressed by me are my own. 

Well I finally tried Shake Shack first time ever ate there.  Not the Charlotte upcoming location but one in San Antonio at San Pedro and Loop 410. Close to the airport only 2 exits away.   It was medium busy only one in line before me but the inside and outside dining was half full. Got there around 6.30 pm local time when I left there was about 6-7 in line.   I would imagine this is how the Charlotte location would be close to major mall with Saks 5th Ave next to Orvis shop here. 

Food quality:  I thought was very good especially the shake and hamburger.  I really  thought the hamburger was really small for $5.50 (I guess NYC pricing?) the crinkle cut fries I thought were nothing special  2.99 but the shake was very good again I thought on the small side (NY sizes more $ per ounce)  Overall my regular shakeburger, fries and shake was $13.77 plus tax.  When I told the manager who was at the counter when I picked up my food that I was from Charlotte trying it out (and he must knew I was an influential member of UP LOL) he asked one kind of shake I got.  I got the salted caramel shake.  Once I sat down and consumed my food he came and said " I thought your shake was not as full and he gave me another one!)  So overall I would give it a B for its competitors Smashburger, Five Guys etc   but I really rather just get a burger from Macs on South Blvd and pile it up high with toppings for about the same overall cost. Tip not included not included of course.   I will go with someone in Charlotte if they want to go there but doubt I would suggest it.  I like the shakes at Cook Out better. 

Photos Shake Shack exterior, my food order, my 2 shakes and the world's largest boots across the street at North Star Mall.  Everything is bigger in Texas but not this burger LOL 

IMG_6931.JPG

IMG_6934.JPG

IMG_6935.JPG

IMG_6936.JPG

IMG_6938.JPG

• Like 2