Good New Restaurants

8 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

There are no South American restaurants on Central Ave. (Colombian places are in Pineville, Brazilian uptown, Argentinian off Old Pineville Road, and Peruvian mostly other areas throughout). Central is more Mexican and Central American (Salvadorean, Honduran, Etc).  But I do agree that Central Ave has amazing ethnic food. Also there are Ethiopian, Bosnian supermarket, Lebanese supermarket, Greek Diner (Landmark) Greek pizzeria (House of pizza) and much more.  But I also agree that NYC has better options in food. That is just common sense. It’s  like comparing Columbia SC’s food scene with ours. 

Sorry, it was on Eastway.  Literally a block off Central. Mi Tierra. Recommend

Edited by Guest

Obviously NYC will have more food diversity, It's an iconic staple for people coming into America. Undoubtedly there's more culinary origins existing in NYC than in Charlotte. But with that said Charlotte is growing quickly with people moving from all over the country, Even the world. As we grow and become a larger city, Interest for more foreign food will increase.

• Like 3

On 7/31/2018 at 2:00 PM, Temeteron said:

There are no South American restaurants on Central Ave. (Colombian places are in Pineville, Brazilian uptown, Argentinian off Old Pineville Road, and Peruvian mostly other areas throughout). Central is more Mexican and Central American (Salvadorean, Honduran, Etc).  But I do agree that Central Ave has amazing ethnic food. Also there are Ethiopian, Bosnian supermarket, Lebanese supermarket, Greek Diner (Landmark) Greek pizzeria (House of pizza) and much more.  But I also agree that NYC has better options in food. That is just common sense. It’s  like comparing Columbia SC’s food scene with ours. 

RIP San Remo 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

Obviously NYC will have more food diversity, It's an iconic staple for people coming into America. Undoubtedly there's more culinary origins existing in NYC than in Charlotte. But with that said Charlotte is growing quickly with people moving from all over the country, Even the world. As we grow and become a larger city, Interest for more foreign food will increase.

Off topic but I hope there will be more diversity available in grocery shopping as well. Akin to how the beer selection is so good now. Most stores international food sections are 50% tacos and instant noodle variations. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Temeteron said:

Are you aware that there are ethnic grocery stores all over the Charlotte area?

Agora-Greek Market

Minos-Greek Market

Mocco Bistro- Greek Made from scratch desserts , pastries and coffee (one of my favorite places)

Cedarland-Lebanese Market

Golden Bakery- Syrian and Lebanese breads and pastries

Halal International- Arabic Market 

Enzo’s- Italian Market

Pasta & Provisions- Italian Market

Zygma- Polish Market

A&A INTERNATIONAL- Russian Market

Golden Key- Russian Market

New Asia Market- Chinese Market

Super G - Mostly Korean & Vietnamese but also have Latin products as well as European

Patel Brothers- Indian Market

Tropical Bakery- Brazilian Bakery

There’s more but I’ll let you check these out first ;)

PePeRo is next to Minos & Tropical. It's a Korean market as well as a restaurant. I believe there's also another Brazilian store across the street from Tropical. 

What's the name of the new Russian store that opened down the street from there? Is that A&A?

Just past the border on 74 is a South African store next to a Korean store (across the street from Elevation).

I live within a very short walk or drive of many of these places. Although this part of town gets no love, it is very diverse & that ranks high on my list of favorite things.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Temeteron said:

Are you aware that there are ethnic grocery stores all over the Charlotte area?

Agora-Greek Market

Minos-Greek Market

Mocco Bistro- Greek Made from scratch desserts , pastries and coffee (one of my favorite places)

Cedarland-Lebanese Market

Golden Bakery- Syrian and Lebanese breads and pastries

Halal International- Arabic Market 

Enzo’s- Italian Market

Pasta & Provisions- Italian Market

Zygma- Polish Market

A&A INTERNATIONAL- Russian Market

Golden Key- Russian Market

New Asia Market- Chinese Market

Super G - Mostly Korean & Vietnamese but also have Latin products as well as European

Patel Brothers- Indian Market

Tropical Bakery- Brazilian Bakery

There’s more but I’ll let you check these out first ;)

Thanks for the list! I got some names from folks before but when I tried the Indian place it was too odd for me. I have to check out the Syrian & Lebanon place.

I think as immigrants increase, assuming things become rational again, we should see more and more of these products in the mainstream stores.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

PePeRo is next to Minos & Tropical. It's a Korean market as well as a restaurant. I believe there's also another Brazilian store across the street from Tropical. 

What's the name of the new Russian store that opened down the street from there? Is that A&A?

Just past the border on 74 is a South African store next to a Korean store (across the street from Elevation).

I live within a very short walk or drive of many of these places. Although this part of town gets no love, it is very diverse & that ranks high on my list of favorite things.

Yeah the Russian one is A&A (across the street from New Zealand cafe).  Didn’t know about the South African one! Cool! 

Edited by Temeteron
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you have ever been to Hawaii you probably heard of L and L Hawaiian Barbecue well it is coming to Concord Kannapolis.  Right across from Afton Ridge shopping center.

https://www.hawaiianbarbecue.com/    as their barbecue is pork based and they also love Spam I think it will do great here in this area.   Evidently there are spreading east through franchises. 

Aloha!  Ono!  and yes I have eaten there and it is good like their plate lunches.  Or in Hawaiian slang it will Broke the Mouth! 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Yeah Fidelli was always empty, saw that coming.  Sabor will make a killing I’m sure. The only other fast food taco/burrito place in south end is Chipotle. Taco Bell def doesn’t count, and Superica doesn’t count since it’s more of a sit down place.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I went to Fidelli a few times for a bottle of wine and it was almost empty every time. Also, everytime I drove by....empty. The food was meh, but I figured it would get at least some traction with the wine store bottle prices.

from the Business Journal today Siggys in Belmont neighborhood is getting ready to open

""Siggy’s Good Food is putting the finishing touches on its Charlotte location. The cafe will open Sept. 4 at 1001 Belmont Ave. in the Belmont neighborhood.

That 1,550-square-foot location is the first in the Queen City for Siggy Sollitto.  She built a following for her all-organic food with a Mediterranean twist, starting with a New York restaurant in 2005. That location has since closed, but Sollitto remains commited to increasing access and affordability when it comes to quality food, while eliminating artificial ingredients and GMOs.""

Subscriber article https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/08/27/neighborhood-cafe-ready-for-debut-in-charlotte-s.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2018-08-27&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1535408672&j=83501661

• Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 6:27 PM, KJHburg said:

from the Business Journal today Siggys in Belmont neighborhood is getting ready to open

""Siggy’s Good Food is putting the finishing touches on its Charlotte location. The cafe will open Sept. 4 at 1001 Belmont Ave. in the Belmont neighborhood.

That 1,550-square-foot location is the first in the Queen City for Siggy Sollitto.  She built a following for her all-organic food with a Mediterranean twist, starting with a New York restaurant in 2005. That location has since closed, but Sollitto remains commited to increasing access and affordability when it comes to quality food, while eliminating artificial ingredients and GMOs.""

Subscriber article https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/08/27/neighborhood-cafe-ready-for-debut-in-charlotte-s.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2018-08-27&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1535408672&j=83501661

I think even your typical middle-class person will be turned off by Siggy's prices. Obviously there are plenty of affluent people moving to the area to support her, but a huge portion of the neighborhood will walk by her restaurant and never set foot in it.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Any recommendations for South Park area? In-laws are coming and I’d like to show them something new instead of their old standbys. Really anything that has opened in the last ~3 years would count as “new” here. 

As far as restaurants? Oak, Baku, Yafo.  To be honest most of the restaurants in SouthPark are overpriced and overrated.  I’d say Uptown, Dilworth, and Elizabeth/Plaza have better selection.