Good New Restaurants

18 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Any recommendations for South Park area? In-laws are coming and I’d like to show them something new instead of their old standbys. Really anything that has opened in the last ~3 years would count as “new” here. 

Dogwood Southern Table is good but a little pricey.  Southpark Grill (in between Capital Towers) is new but really haven't heard too much about it. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

Dogwood Southern Table is good but a little pricey.  Southpark Grill (in between Capital Towers) is new but really haven't heard too much about it. 

Southpark Grill is supposed to be much better than its name haha.

Charlotte Five, "Common Market is open in South End again and it's not the same - but the weirdness lives on," by Katie Toussaint, September 11, 2018.

"I opened the door.  I expected a wave of nostalgia to wash over me, but instead I was just floored by how enormous this new, two-level space at 235 W. Tremont St. next to Bang Bang Burgers felt. The cluttered aisles of snacks and drinks at the original Camden Road location (demolished for redevelopment) have given way to soaring ceilings, tall windows, walls awash with murals, a full-on bar, a maze of towering refrigerators leading to the deli window, and multiple seating areas (there’s a particularly cozy nook on the interior staircase landing." ... "Bring your dog to the huge patio and settle in among the decor that just doesn’t make sense: the workshop table with a tangle of metal, the rake, and (there it is!) the decorative bathtub with fronds growing in it."

Common-Market-South-End-Charlotte-NC-Exterior.jpg

Exterior of the new space. Photo by Katie Toussaint

Common-Market-South-End-Charlotte-NC-Interior.jpg

Interior of the new space. Photo by Katie Toussaint

Link:  https://www.charlottefive.com/common-market-south-end-open/

N.B.:  The most recent UP Forum Meetup was held Saturday evening (September 8th) at the new Common Market at 235 West Tremont Ave.  Word has it that roughly a dozen UPers showed up and had a great meetup. 

Edited by QCxpat
Add 2nd photo by Katie Toussaint
  • Like 1

I saw a discussion on Twitter about #PeakTaco in Charlotte with the closing of Babalu.  I say nonsense there is plenty of room for taco joints, Tex Mexican and real Mexican restaurants in this city and more are needed. This is one suburbanite who knows good tacos and other Mexican dishes like Arroz con Pollo and many more.  First I ask my Mexican friends and go where  they like to eat.  As Mexican Tex Mex is my favorite ethnic food I can tell that the choices in the Charlotte area have greatly improved and there is good Mexican and Tex Mex all over town.

This is a chain but it was packed in Matthews in the shopping center with Costco, Fuzzy's Taco Shop out of  Ft Worth TX.  It was good and very affordable.   Plus 2 more locations coming to south Charlotte in Rea Farms Village and Berewick.   It is the best I have ever no but it is good yes and very affordable this plate cost $7.50! 

So there is no #PeakTaco here in Charlotte and the popularity and variety of places we have continues to grow.  another little place I like to go to Pollo Campero a chain right out of yes Guatemala! http://us.campero.com/

What are some of your favorite Mexican or Tex Mex in the area?  

IMG_3355.JPG

IMG_3356.JPG

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I saw a discussion on Twitter about #PeakTaco in Charlotte with the closing of Babalu.  I say nonsense there is plenty of room for taco joints, Tex Mexican and real Mexican restaurants in this city and more are needed. This is one suburbanite who knows good tacos and other Mexican dishes like Arroz con Pollo and many more.  First I ask my Mexican friends and go where  they like to eat.  As Mexican Tex Mex is my favorite ethnic food I can tell that the choices in the Charlotte area have greatly improved and there is good Mexican and Tex Mex all over town.

This is a chain but it was packed in Matthews in the shopping center with Costco, Fuzzy's Taco Shop out of  Ft Worth TX.  It was good and very affordable.   Plus 2 more locations coming to south Charlotte in Rea Farms Village and Berewick.   It is the best I have ever no but it is good yes and very affordable this plate cost $7.50! 

So there is no #PeakTaco here in Charlotte and the popularity and variety of places we have continues to grow.  another little place I like to go to Pollo Campero a chain right out of yes Guatemala! http://us.campero.com/

What are some of your favorite Mexican or Tex Mex in the area?  

Azteca all day

• Like 2

On 9/26/2018 at 7:09 AM, Temeteron said:

Neither! Lempira is the best hands down.  La Unica is overpriced and bad food. Their salsa isn’t even good!  Last time I went there the service was horrible.  Although the La Unica in Indian Trail is way better.  

I should have been more specific.  I was referring to Indian Trail.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I remember the frenzy when this first came to Charlotte now a yawn but this Shake Shack should do good in Blakeney

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/11/05/shake-shack-ready-for-south-charlotte-debut.html

That's a prime location for Ballantyne.  I can see that one doing better than the Park Rd location in the long run. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InSouthPark said:

That's a prime location for Ballantyne.  I can see that one doing better than the Park Rd location in the long run. 

Yes I think that location will do great.  Lots of families with incomes over $100K live within a few miles with lots of kiddos.   It is a home run.  The Wahlburgs and their burger joint still not open just a mile away could be hurt as SS will win the business. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2018 at 8:10 PM, KJHburg said:

New BBQ restaurant opening in Charlotte's Belmont neighborhood.  sounds good to me.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/10/25/inside-plans-for-this-neighborhood-bbq-joint-in.html

This looks promising...

Question for my fellow UPers: Any recommendations on the best local BBQ that ISN’T Carolina style?

I have become a really big fan of the Carolina versions of pulled pork (I have a pig addiction), BUT being originally from Kansas City, I get homesick for the varieties we see more frequently in KC and Texas: burnt ends, brisket, sausage, sliced beef and pork, ribs.

Midwood Smokehouse gets me the closest to what I am most fond of,  but still the brisket misses about half the time... and I have found nothing that gets close to KC burnt ends, which are an art form in the Midwest and on every menu.

0013C6B6-80B1-46D2-BBC7-AC409563ED95.thumb.jpeg.a5fd90b6b55d90b9b38d06e61c0e2c06.jpeg

6B7466DC-600E-49A1-8DA8-FB17D7656FA3.thumb.jpeg.a731880bfa863a2c44d146ea6211b09f.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoshuaDrown said:

This looks promising...

Question for my fellow UPers: Any recommendations on the best local BBQ that ISN’T Carolina style?

I have become a really big fan of the Carolina versions of pulled pork (I have a pig addiction), BUT being originally from Kansas City, I get homesick for the varieties we see more frequently in KC and Texas: burnt ends, brisket, sausage, sliced beef and pork, ribs.

Midwood Smokehouse gets me the closest to what I am most fond of,  but still the brisket misses about half the time... and I have found nothing that gets close to KC burnt ends, which are an art form in the Midwest and on every menu.

I sent my Houston friends to Midwood for some TX style barbecue and they approved.  (and Texans are picky and know good bbq)  There are not as many places but Jim Noble's new place on Freedom Dr is supposed to be a good mix of NC and TX barbecue styles.   As for KC style not sure around here.  

on another note L and L H'awaiian Barbecue is opening soon in Concord across from Afton Ridge.   Hawaiian bbq is very much like NC's but with some different sauces.  I can't wait until that opens.  

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I sent my Houston friends to Midwood for some TX style barbecue and they approved.  (and Texans are picky and know good bbq)  There are not as many places but Jim Noble's new place on Freedom Dr is supposed to be a good mix of NC and TX barbecue styles.   As for KC style not sure around here.  

on another note L and L H'awaiian Barbecue is opening soon in Concord across from Afton Ridge.   Hawaiian bbq is very much like NC's but with some different sauces.  I can't wait until that opens.  

Jim did my dad's 70th, brisket's almost as good as Franklin BBQ in Austin. I have high hopes for Noble Smoke, just wish the BBQ didn't come with a giant side of homophobia.

Edited by Guest