Good New Restaurants

35 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I would hope they'd get that patio opened before summer because if not, huge missed opportunity

• Like 1

when I saw this headline I thought about my favorite In N Out but no such luck.

A new Santa Barbara California  based burger place opening in midtown

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/03/26/california-burger-chain-set-to-open-first-nc.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2019-03-26&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1553630645&j=87460791

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

You should read more than just the biz journal :) this was reported a few days ago already by.....another outlet :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Went to Hawker's for the first time the other day - came away fairly impressed with the food selection and the atmosphere. Will definitely be back once it is a little quieter.

Of greater concern was that Pike's right next door was completely empty at dinner time....

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Picante Mexican Grill now has an "Express" location next to the CLT Welcome thingy under the stage/seating gazebo thingy outside Mimosa Grill.  Now Open 11-3 although it wasn't open at 2:45 today.  Picante is the place over by Town Brewing and Rhino Market.  The space is quite literally 4'x10', and has $5 burritos and mexican soda.  Old-timers on the forum will recall the space under the gazebo thingy was a Chick-Fil-A express about 12-15 years ago. 

IMG_20190429_143807.jpg

IMG_20190429_143822.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, cmwilson24 said:

Any idea why the Chik Fil A express closed?  That would do incredibly well in that spot today.  

no fries (or kitchen). Sandwiches were brought in assembled (at least that was my memory of eating there one time in 1994(?)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, kermit said:

no fries (or kitchen). Sandwiches were brought in assembled (at least that was my memory of eating there one time in 1994(?)

Yes I heard that is why they closed too.  they were basically cooking everything over at BofA Plaza and bringing it over and that did not work. 

• Like 1

Even the Chick-Fil-A at that location (back in the day) had a VERY limited menu.  NO fries, and I think only the plainest of plain sandwiches and slaw.  Even drinks were limited.  The lady that worked there was a gem though!  I think she said that they would cart stuff down from BofA Plaza in the morning and possibly would close when they ran out of food.  Great concept, bad location - so to speak.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

NC Red (located at old Penguin) is getting bombed on NextDoor reviews. Poor marks for just about everything, price and service especially. Have not been yet myself but not exactly in any hurry at this point. 

I think that place will be forever cursed by the ghost of the OG penguin.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sclark said:

I think that place will be forever cursed by the ghost of the OG penguin.

Yeah it continues to feel like restaurant owners will never understand what this area wants. No one is solving for what the local PM neighbors are hoping for and without their interest restaurants don’t seem to do too hot. I see Peculiar Rabbit as an example of a place where no local residents dine - I haven’t been in at least 6 years - and the Ballantyne crowd loses interest after a while. (I’m not making fun of people from Ballantyne, I have met and heard of many who drive up here to go out on the weekends.) 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

Pho @ Noda (24th and N. Davidson )  opened yesterday.  Getting good reviews from my friends who have been already.  They are going to make a killing there.

They really fudgeed up not calling it PhoDa