Good New Restaurants

I consider myself somewhat of a wing expert lol, but I have never heard of Moosehead's. Where is it located?

On a side note, the best wings that I have had in Charlotte are from Plaza Chinese Carryout on The Plaza. That is if you don't mind the not-so-god area. Just ask for spicy buffalo, you will not be disappointed.

Its on Montford Dr, in what I call the Park Road Bar District. There are a lot of neat places to drink and eat on the street. Some of my favorite places in charlotte, angry ales, jeffs bucket shop, the press box (also very good wings) and moosehead. And about the cleanliness of moosehead, its not gross dirty, its authentic dirty.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a little late to this party but......I was so excited to read last week on my flight to Naples, FL that Basil Thai from Charleston is moving into the Ave and will be open in the fall. Basil was my favorite place to go when I lived in Charleston. They are on upper King St. A few years ago I was talking to one of the owners and they mentioned hearing great things about Charlotte and it's growth potential...for opening a location up here. The food is fantastic and the style is cool modern. Best of all the prices are very reasonable. I can't wait :yahoo:

Edited by voyager12

Have any of you heard about the new restaurant/bar in SouthEnd called 1300 SouthEnd Tavern? I passed by the old Original Pancake House location today and saw the sign up. And they have a website up already. Not much to it, though.

http://www.1300southendtavern.com/

They list the wrong LYNX station on their website. That's some promising attention to detail.

I went to Super Nikko again last night. It's a cool place no doubt. Sometimes I think they tried too hard and the place almost comes across as a parody of a cool place which is not cool. Cool? :lol: Watching Joanna Nix dancing around the restaurant in her cowboy hat doing sake bombs is a riot. She knows how to make her customers have fun and want to come back. Could they just lower the volume a tad on the music....I know weekends are their busiest time but I like to talk during my dinner and really it's more like eating dinner in a dance club, it's too overbearing.

Tavern on the Tracks has some of the best wings.

I know Ed's Tavern has been around for a while...I've been going there for at least 3 months. But, I have to award my personal trophy for the best wings that I have ever had to Ed's. Maybe it's something about that location -- it used to be the Wing Ranch. Anyway, they are incredible. The wings are grilled (with grill marks present) and must be made from mutant chickens which produce wings bigger than normal chickens. There is a ton of meat on every wing. I usually opt for getting the wings dipped in the XXX Hot sauce, which isn't as bad as it sounds to those who crave the heat on the wings -- it's just right. We're not talking blisters on the tongue.

If you like wings, you must have them at Ed's.

I went to Pio Pio Chicken for lunch today. It's a new joint on East Blvd in the shopping center behind Brixx and Outback. It is in the spot that was formerly occupied by Jersey Mike's, then SubUrban Deli, and then City Hot Dogs. It seems as thought this spot might be as doomed as the spot where Daddy's used to be. I really don't understand why City Hot Dogs closed -- it was busy when I've been there, had great service and staff, and seemed to have been doing well. That's a different story, though.

I couldn't really figure out what kind of cuisine Pio Pio was -- Cuban? Carribbean? Mexican? Anyway, it was something in Latin America. Whatever it was, it was awesome! I went there with a friend from work today and we both got the same thing -- #1 on the menu (1/4 rotisserie chicken, fried yuca, and rice and beans). The chicken was wonderful -- juicy, flavorful, and served with a couple sauces for dipping. There was a garlic sauce and a really spicy one (i could only describe it as latino wasabi). The fried yuca (first time I've had it) was great -- just like incredibly flavorful french fries. Screw the ketchup -- you don't need it with these.

Though the place was slow anyway (we had a late lunch), the service was superb. The interior has definitely improved. This could actually be a bit of a romantic spot now, with earthy colors and dim lighting. Even though structurally it's the same as when the prior tenants were there, it looks and feels like a sit-down restaurant now. Honestly, I expected this place to be take-out oriented before I visited today, but that's not the case.

Prices were good -- $8.50 for my lunch, which included a soft drink. Well worth it. This will become a regular spot for me and my coworkers. We were both very pleasantly surprised. Pio Pio is a good addition to East Blvd's restaurant scene, and I sure hope this place breaks the curse of this location.

• 1 month later...

:cry::cry::cry: I would be really depressed if Creation closed! I love that place. As far as I know it's still open. I go there a lot. Have not heard anything.

Well, here it is 1 year and 8 months since the talk of Creation closing and thankfully it has not.

I finally got around to eating there for the first time last night and I definitely give it 2 thumbs up. We were seated right away. The waiter was very attentive and the service was exceptional. I ordered the Satay Chicken with rice and veggies. Absolutely delicious!! Can't believe I waited so long to go there and I must add, they were quite busy for a Wed evening (I was there around 6:15pm). By the time we left around 7pm, the place was pretty crowded. The food is a little pricey but overall, I really like this place and will be back soon!

I love Creation and I'm glad it is still there too! I'm baffled by a few negative reviews that I've read--I think the place is great. Maybe the grill items are pricey, but I usually get noodles or rice and those are about $10 and enough for two meals. My only complaint is that they are no longer open on Sundays.

Well, here it is 1 year and 8 months since the talk of Creation closing and thankfully it has not.

I finally got around to eating there for the first time last night and I definitely give it 2 thumbs up. We were seated right away. The waiter was very attentive and the service was exceptional. I ordered the Satay Chicken with rice and veggies. Absolutely delicious!! Can't believe I waited so long to go there and I must add, they were quite busy for a Wed evening (I was there around 6:15pm). By the time we left around 7pm, the place was pretty crowded. The food is a little pricey but overall, I really like this place and will be back soon!

I am glad you liked it! The pricing for the entire menu has always seemed reasonable to me. And all the food I have had there has been great. The service is good and the vibe is cool without being annoyingly trendy. I still worry sometimes driving by weeknights. They seem so dead much of the time but they also have a solid daily bar crowd too.

I went to Pio Pio Chicken for lunch today. It's a new joint on East Blvd in the shopping center behind Brixx and Outback. It is in the spot that was formerly occupied by Jersey Mike's, then SubUrban Deli, and then City Hot Dogs. It seems as thought this spot might be as doomed as the spot where Daddy's used to be. I really don't understand why City Hot Dogs closed -- it was busy when I've been there, had great service and staff, and seemed to have been doing well. That's a different story, though.

I couldn't really figure out what kind of cuisine Pio Pio was -- Cuban? Carribbean? Mexican? Anyway, it was something in Latin America. Whatever it was, it was awesome! I went there with a friend from work today and we both got the same thing -- #1 on the menu (1/4 rotisserie chicken, fried yuca, and rice and beans). The chicken was wonderful -- juicy, flavorful, and served with a couple sauces for dipping. There was a garlic sauce and a really spicy one (i could only describe it as latino wasabi). The fried yuca (first time I've had it) was great -- just like incredibly flavorful french fries. Screw the ketchup -- you don't need it with these.

I believe this place is a new Peruvian restaurant. My wife is Peruvian and we always have to try any new Peruvian restaurants that open up and we just found out about this place this weekend so we will have to make the trip up there sometime. I'm glad to hear that the chicken is good. After eating rotisserie chicken in Peru last year, nothing else comes close. Just to let you know, if you like rotisserie chicken Peruvian style, there is another Peruvian restaurant in Indian Land called Genaro's that has the best rotisserie chicken this side of Lima.

It isn't new, but I haven't been in years...we went to LaTorre's this weekend for dinner. I forgot how great the food was. A great change from typical 'nicer' restaurant fare in Charlotte. The central / south American flavors were perfect and Friday night they have $4 mojitos. I love the cozy atmosphere as well -- great for being right in the midst of all the 5th / Tryon nightlife.

Went to Fiamma last night. It's tucked away next to Rusan in Dilworth off Park Rd. It's relatively new still and I think it's very good Italian. Had very tasty Carpaccio Arugula with a salad beforehand. Vanilla Gelato in the middle for a palette cleanser was refreshing. Not a very big space and the service is good. Good lowkey date place :wub:

Went to Fiamma last night. It's tucked away next to Rusan in Dilworth off Park Rd. It's relatively new still and I think it's very good Italian. Had very tasty Carpaccio Arugula with a salad beforehand. Vanilla Gelato in the middle for a palette cleanser was refreshing. Not a very big space and the service is good. Good lowkey date place :wub:

I hear nothing but rave reviews for Fiamma, but I have yet to go - which is particularly sad because i can walk there. What kind of $$ does Fiamma run?

^ Most entrees don't run higher than $25 I think it's reasonable for what you get.

Very reasonable. It's the kind of place that changes its menu periodically, but will make dishes from the previous menu for a semi-regular as long as they have ingredients on hand. The place is great. Be sure to try the pastas made in-house. They have been in business here for ~2 years now I think.

I was recently in Italy, and from my experience it's the closest to true regional Italian cooking that one can get in Charlotte.

The O is reporting that Woods on South has closed.

IMO it was too expensive, the food wasn't that great, and the atmosphere was awfully stale for such a great space. I hope that someone is able to follow up with a restaurant/bar that can live up to the potential of that location.

No surprise here. I went there once for lunch and that was enough for me. Food was no more than decent, atmosphere didn't fit, and I just didn't like the place overall. The first thing I said after eating there was "this place won't last for long." Let's hope for something better on the next go-round -- I wish Southend Brewery nevery left.