Good New Restaurants

Its weird. Every time I go to that Five Guys I think "good, but Big Daddy's is better." And yet, I keep going to Five Guys instead. I think it's just too accessible from my apartment.

I like Big Daddy's, but they end up falling apart and really messy.

As for the Noodle Hut or whatever it is, we've tried it as well -- not great (I love Asian food so I'm really picky about Asian noodle dishes) but a good quick alternative that is close by.

^ I heartily concur about Big Daddy's precarious burger construction. It's tasty but quite messy! The Counter at The Village at SouthPark has the same concept but I think their food and overall environment is much better. We go there more often. Big Daddy's always seem to be in a constant state of upheaval. It feels like eating in a high school cafeteria.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I ate lunch at the recently opened WAM Asian Grill twice last week and really enjoyed it. WAM is in the former Mama Fu's location on Woodlawn (across from Park Rd SC). You order pretty much the same way you did at Mama Fu's, same counter, they give you a number and they bring the food to your table. The older Chinese cook was very generous and welcoming to everyone that walked in. But best of all, I found my favorite place for Chicken Lo Mein now. It was incredulicious! Later that week I tried the General Tso Chicken which was also superb. Also, they will add whatever you'd like whether it's mushrooms, water chesnuts, etc. The prices are very reasonable and they give you a lot on the plate.

PS: where on Central is the Common House?

Edited by swampfox43

I wonder what Common Market thinks about Common House. A little too close for comfort in name scheme perhaps? Or maybe it will drive more business to both places when people get mixed up between the two.

They should name a park "Common Ground"....Actually, I think it would be kinda neat to see the word "Common" used a little more in an effort to maybe add a little definition to this still-evolving district. I assume they are feeding off the Commonwealth Ave name which in itself is pretty historic (for Charlotte).

I'll have to check out the Common House. Love trying new restaurants and have used many of your opinions here in the past.

I have to admire anyone who decides to open a restaurant. It's one of the toughest business models to make a success out of even in good times. And these days...it's a true act of bravery. Quality usually tells the tale. We shall see. I will definitely make a visit. I never cook and going out to eat all the time if you budget wisely is really not much more expensive than stocking up at the market. I am also very happy that Common House chose this particular location. It can only help extend the walkable vibe and liven up the independent restaurant scene from Plaza&Central down to the Corners.

I went to Revolution in NoDa for the first time last night. I thought the pizza was very good. Not amazing but good. I had a small white pizza. The crust was the best part, very tasty. The place is definitely popular and buzzing with a nice laidback vibe. Service was fine. The only downside was the noise level. It was very difficult to carry on a conversation. Although not as bad as Nikko where you literally have to scream at the person across the table.

Finally made it to Common House. The meal was delicious! I would liken it to Zada Jane's in portions and prices, but the food is a little more... comfort oriented. Oh! And its more than worth mentioning, the "bread" they bring out is incredible. It's like these sweet crispy hush puppy things.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Per my recommendation, myself and 2 friends ate lunch at Common House yesterday (Sat). We arrived around 2pm and there were at least 12 others in there eating as well. We entered through the back entrance and a big thumbs up for having a front and rear entrance (with large waiting room) and plenty of rear parking. Upon entry what hit me first was the nice bar area with 3 flat screens behind the bar. Then the beautiful shade of green painted on the walls and a front wall facing Central Ave. with floor to ceiling windows allowing for plenty of natural light. I really liked what I saw so far. We started off with a plate of fried pickles ($5) which were extremely good. The pickles are cut into quarter spears and look almost like a standard french fry. My only complaint is the serving size, which was not enough for 3 people. We each got 3 of the small spears. Maybe I've been spoiled with the huge servings that Big Daddy's and The Penguin give. My burger was very tasty and the fries come seasoned with Sea Salt. I cannot remember what my friends had but we all left satisfied and plan to go back. The service was very excellent and very friendly.

I have limited experience with middle eastern/mediterranean food, but there is a new restaurant in the university area that specializes in Moroccan food called Casablanca. It's in shopping center with flying saucer. I had some beef kabobs which I thought were delicious. If you live in the university area I recommend checking them out. I don't have much to compare it to, so it could very well be average compared to similar restaurants, but I like it. Are there any Kabob places in Charlotte other than this place and the one off of Independence?

Edited by rworkman09

Although it has been open for a while now, I just had the opportunity to try Press in the Trademark on Fri night. The atmosphere is very relaxed, and the sushi is good as well, although not on the level of New Zealand Cafe (which is the best in Charlotte IMO). My wife and I each had a glass of wine, and we split 4 rolls of sushi and the chocolate fondue dessert and got out for 55 bucks. Not bad at all

Although it has been open for a while now, I just had the opportunity to try Press in the Trademark on Fri night. The atmosphere is very relaxed, and the sushi is good as well, although not on the level of New Zealand Cafe (which is the best in Charlotte IMO). My wife and I each had a glass of wine, and we split 4 rolls of sushi and the chocolate fondue dessert and got out for 55 bucks. Not bad at all

Where/what is New Zealand Cafe?

Where/what is New Zealand Cafe?

New Zealand Cafe is a small, and I mean small sushi joint in the strip mall on the corner of Monroe Rd and Sardis Rd N. It is tucked in the corner between Harris Teeter, Hungry Howies, and a couple other places. My wife and I consider ourselves somewhat sushi connoisseurs, and this place is hands down the best I have had in town. It is almost always packed, even on weeknights, but the service is always fast and friendly and the food is fairly cheap as well. If you like sushi at all I definitely recommend this place.

New Zealand Cafe is a small, and I mean small sushi joint in the strip mall on the corner of Monroe Rd and Sardis Rd N. It is tucked in the corner between Harris Teeter, Hungry Howies, and a couple other places. My wife and I consider ourselves somewhat sushi connoisseurs, and this place is hands down the best I have had in town. It is almost always packed, even on weeknights, but the service is always fast and friendly and the food is fairly cheap as well. If you like sushi at all I definitely recommend this place.

Gracias. I just found out our favorite sushi place closed that I feel had the best I've ever had hands down, so finding an alternative that is about the food and not the dance music and 'scene' is great.

Gracias. I just found out our favorite sushi place closed that I feel had the best I've ever had hands down, so finding an alternative that is about the food and not the dance music and 'scene' is great.

Yea it is an awesome place, I love it. What was the place that closed down?