Good New Restaurants

'i' Japanese on East blvd.

Ahh ok, we were actually gonna go there before we ended up going to Press because my wife goes to Queens and she used to eat there all the time and raved about how good it was. We drove by and it was closed at 830 on a Fri night. I figured they had closed for good.

I ate lunch at Nona's Italian Deli on Morehead yesterday. It's over there near Art's BBQ in a small strip center with the oriental rug store. I liked Nona's. It's small, only maybe 10 tables. The sandwiches were delicious. My only complaint is that they should invest a way to have ice, and at least paper plates. They sell only bottled drinks so the cup of water is just that, small cup of water with no ice. The owner told me they do not have room for an ice machine. Also, for people eating in, I wish they would serve you on some type of plate. They brought 3 sandwiches wrapped in huge white wrappers. It was hysterical having everyone upwrap on the small table. I mean they use about 3 square feet of paper to wrap 1 sandwich. OK, small complaints but the food and dessert were very good. The employees (only 2) were super friendly and the service was superb.

I have limited experience with middle eastern/mediterranean food, but there is a new restaurant in the university area that specializes in Moroccan food called Casablanca. It's in shopping center with flying saucer. I had some beef kabobs which I thought were delicious. If you live in the university area I recommend checking them out. I don't have much to compare it to, so it could very well be average compared to similar restaurants, but I like it. Are there any Kabob places in Charlotte other than this place and the one off of Independence?

I actually ate there today, Casablanca's that is. I like their food and they have good Kebobs, but they also have other good Moroccan food like the Bastilla and the Tagine that I haven't been able to find anywhere else in Charlotte.

As for other great Kebob places. I highly recommend Jerusalem (Sharon Amity near Albermarle) and Cedarland / Cedars (Central near Rosehaven). There are a couple more, but those are my top two picks.

Edited by fulcrumsf

After going to Nix and Big Daddy's I think The Counter @ SouthPark has the best burgers. The burgers at Nix were good, a little small for the price though and it's claustrophobic. Big Daddy's is not bad either, the burgers do come out sloppy sometimes and it's kind of zoo in there. So to me The Counter rises to the top on overall quality of food, service, and atmosphere.

Is this a solo restaurant or a chain? I know of a couple restaurants called Thai Basil (the one I went to was in Denver and was a stand alone restaurant, no chain) and then there is Basil Thai which I think is a chain that includes the one in Charleston. Can anyone clarify what the Avenue location will be?

Is this a solo restaurant or a chain? I know of a couple restaurants called Thai Basil (the one I went to was in Denver and was a stand alone restaurant, no chain) and then there is Basil Thai which I think is a chain that includes the one in Charleston. Can anyone clarify what the Avenue location will be?

From my understanding, this is suppose to be the first reincarnation of the Charleston restaurant, Basil Thai. So it's not a chain... I think some of us have flip flopped the name a few times so its probably confusing :shades:

The interior is looking great, and just about finished. Tables and chairs are setup, bar is setup, must be opening any day now? Voyager, does the Charleston Basil have a bar? I was only expecting this to be a restaurant, but there is a small bar area too.

Hello all! I'm going to be bringing my girlfriend with me to Charlotte next Friday night. To my knowledge, she's never really experienced the city (just continued on 77 to SouthPark :lol: ). I plan on showing her around Uptown on foot and getting some dinner later on. Are there any recommendations for a specific place? I've looked through this thread and found some potential places, but I thought the locals might have a better idea of where to go. Preferably, the ideal restaurant would be in an urban setting (Uptown address isn't a necessity), great food (of course), indie, and doesn't have a large bar scene. Thanks guys!

The Pewter Rose near South & East Blvd. is still one of my favorite places in Charlotte Nice bar, excellent food and reasonably priced. Park free in their lot & then take the light rail to a downtown bar... Station is 50 ft from the restaurant.

ok 150 ft (max)

Edited by Bikeguy

I've looked through this thread and found some potential places, but I thought the locals might have a better idea of where to go.

I'd recommend Alexander Michael's .... more details here: http://www.almikestavern.com/

Pewter Rose is also a great suggestion!

In other news.... looks like Crave ( http://www.cravedessertbar.com/ ) is opening on 3/31/09, underneath CANS, formerly known as the Avenue sales center.

Edited by QCkid

I second Alexander Mikes. That place is very intimate for couples, in an intimate neighborhood, and truely feels like you are "in the club" if you know how to find it.

The locals/insiders club, not "da club" :D

Edit: Heard a rumor about Basil opening sometime this coming week... yum!

Edited by QCkid

Speaking that JerseyBoy is not 21+, I don't think the places suggested so far are that great of choices. I think that you should take her to Niko for sushi, that place is quite impressive and easily accessible from the lightrail, and its not imperative that you get drinks.

Speaking that JerseyBoy is not 21+, I don't think the places suggested so far are that great of choices. I think that you should take her to Niko for sushi, that place is quite impressive and easily accessible from the lightrail, and its not imperative that you get drinks.

Nikko's food is good and as mentioned, the space is impressive. Friday's are absolutely crazy (dressier clientele, packed, usually a live dj spinning) in there, so I STRONGLY suggest reservations so you aren't waiting around forever in the bar area. Nikko, in my personal opinion, is a much better dining atmosphere on non-weekend evenings. Nikko is a great place to start off the night on the weekends if you are going out for the night. Again, my personal experiences and opinions.

Edited by QCkid

Nikko is god-awful...I stopped going there after I decided Charlotte isn't ready for horribly snotty hostesses, way too loud music blasting out of poorly placed speakers, and $15 drinks during the endless wait for a table. It used to be the best date place in Charlotte in the old space, now it's overdone and trying way too hard to be South Beach. And if I hear Joanna scream into her wireless mic one more time I'll literally jump through the plate glass window into South blvd traffic.

Hop on the light rail and take her to Mac's or 300 East. Or, if you want something a little nicer, go to Mez at the epicenter uptown. The bar scene doesn't get going until about 10/11 and the inside is gorgeous. Then if all goes well you can book a room at W aloft for the night... :)

Nikko is god-awful...I stopped going there after I decided Charlotte isn't ready for horribly snotty hostesses, way too loud music blasting out of poorly placed speakers, and $15 drinks during the endless wait for a table. It used to be the best date place in Charlotte in the old space, now it's overdone and trying way too hard to be South Beach. And if I hear Joanna scream into her wireless mic one more time I'll literally jump through the plate glass window into South blvd traffic.

Hop on the light rail and take her to Mac's or 300 East. Or, if you want something a little nicer, go to Mez at the epicenter uptown. The bar scene doesn't get going until about 10/11 and the inside is gorgeous. Then if all goes well you can book a room at W aloft for the night... :)

the attitude at Mez makes Nikko feel downright homey by comparison. i guess i've never been to Nikko during peak hours, but i've always felt perfectly welcome (usually dressed in a way that Mez would not allow me in, mind you) and got great service. its the best sushi i've found out of the handful of places i've tried here and thats the important thing.