Good New Restaurants

So I ate at Basil last night with some friends. Aside from the fact it was raining sideways in uptown (and all over Charlotte) it was a great night. I really dug the atmosphere there. It's like a smaller version of Nikko with no yelling owner or loud Miami dance club music. The food was excellent! I had the Basil rolls and ate the Pad Thai as my main course. Some friends of ours had one of their soups as well. I tried a sample of it and it was great. They had a decent selection of Asian beers too. I had a Thailand beer (forget the name) and was a good. They also had a decent selection of Sake. The wait staff was very knowledgeable. The meal wasn't overly priced for uptown either.... 1 appetizer, 2 beers, 2 glasses of wine and 2 entrees for about $65. We will definitely be going back again... Friends of ours that had been to the one in Charleston (and were big fans of it there) were quite impressed as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't know where to put this but ARPA tapas is 86'd. RIP. It will be replaced by a Harpers Grill. While Arpa had decently successful dinner services, they were not getting the lunch service that they felt they needed, so the Harpers group is putting in a much more recession friendly option. They will retain the same chef from Arpa, but will also have one of the harpers corporate chefs. :-( sad day for Arpa.

Didn't know where to put this but ARPA tapas is 86'd. RIP. It will be replaced by a Harpers Grill. While Arpa had decently successful dinner services, they were not getting the lunch service that they felt they needed, so the Harpers group is putting in a much more recession friendly option. They will retain the same chef from Arpa, but will also have one of the harpers corporate chefs. :-( sad day for Arpa.

so are we losing tapas and just getting more burgers? ugh i have plenty of good choices there already.

why can't we get a decent mexican place uptown? that's about as recession-friendly as it gets. a no-frills seafood restaurant would be awesome as well.

so are we losing tapas and just getting more burgers? ugh i have plenty of good choices there already.

why can't we get a decent mexican place uptown? that's about as recession-friendly as it gets. a no-frills seafood restaurant would be awesome as well.

I think they are still going to have some tapas, but then have a bunch of Harpers normal food. About Mexican food, La Paz is a hop skip and a jump from downtown on the train, and Cantina is opening at Epicentre. Those are not cheap mexican though, so I guess thats not what you want. I agree about a no frills seafood place, that would be fantastic!

Not quite open yet, but I hear we are getting a Loca Luna. If it's the same company that owns the one in Atlanta they should have really good tapas. It's supposed to go in the old Coyote Ugly bar on College St.

I saw the renovations to the building and posted in the misc. projects thread. It's actually Luna Lounge, a club/lounge from the owners of Kiss and Sunset Club. http://www.myspace.com/lunacharlotte

Their myspace is written in past tense as if its open already, but does say May 09. I live in Tryon House and am happy to have anything give N. College some activity, but doesn't really look to be my scene and I do WISH it were a tapas restaurant or something. If they do hookahs, which I think is a possibility, then I'll put up with some bad music and go for that.

They've built in a closed patio and have started doing stonework around it. The stonework looks good but I'm not sure how far along they are with the rest finishing-wise.

Edited by nonillogical

I saw the renovations to the building and posted in the misc. projects thread. It's actually Luna Lounge, a club/lounge from the owners of Kiss and Sunset Club. http://www.myspace.com/lunacharlotte

Their myspace is written in past tense as if its open already, but does say May 09. I live in Tryon House and am happy to have anything give N. College some activity, but doesn't really look to be my scene and I do WISH it were a tapas restaurant or something. If they do hookahs, which I think is a possibility, then I'll put up with some bad music and go for that.

They've built in a closed patio and have started doing stonework around it. The stonework looks good but I'm not sure how far along they are with the rest finishing-wise.

Man I was hoping it was the same as the Loca Luna in ATL. By the looks of their Myspace page it doesn't look like my cup of tea, but as you said brings something new to that side of College St. Anything is better than Coyote Ugly.

All the burger places in uptown are also bars. I'm just glad that this one will stay a restaurant that doesn't serve two purposes.

why can't we get a decent Mexican place uptown? that's about as recession-friendly as it gets. a no-frills seafood restaurant would be awesome as well.

I second that. Cantina will be nice but that's a specialty restaurant. I want cheap, artery-clogging Mexican food. Not texmex, not "Spanish," just Mexican.

I want cheap, artery-clogging Mexican food. Not texmex, not "Spanish," just Mexican.

Then get out of uptown! Central Ave and South Blvd. I was introduced to a place by a friend a couple weeks ago...Casa de la Enchilada (House of the Enchiladas!) just past Morningside leaving town on the left. Great, cheap, genuine mexican. Damn, now I'm having a craving...

Then get out of uptown! Central Ave and South Blvd. I was introduced to a place by a friend a couple weeks ago...Casa de la Enchilada (House of the Enchiladas!) just past Morningside leaving town on the left. Great, cheap, genuine mexican. Damn, now I'm having a craving...

Went there for lunch today, very good. Thanks for the tip!

My wife and I went to the Crepe Cellar for the first time (well we tried to go one other time but there was a 2 hour wait).

I got the fish and chips - which I believe there is either "good" fish and chips, or "bad" fish and chips. This was of the "good" variety. It's hard to mess this one up. She got the mushroom, spinach and goat cheese crepe. I ended up stealing hers. It was awesome. I would go to this place 3 times a week if I am not careful. The table next to us got the French Bread Pizza. It looked excellent, although I didn't steal theirs...

My requirement was met: Stella on draft.

Check it out.

Crave Desert Bars Website is up!!!!!

I am overly excited for this opening! From its pictures it is quite sexy. I get into town on the 20th, and you better believe i'll be hitting Crave on the 21st! This is the spot that I've been eagerly awaiting for years!

Crave Desert Bars Website is up!!!!!

I am overly excited for this opening! From its pictures it is quite sexy. I get into town on the 20th, and you better believe i'll be hitting Crave on the 21st! This is the spot that I've been eagerly awaiting for years!

I went to Crave a couple of weeks ago. I was packed around 10:00. We eventually got a seat (45 minute wait) and the food and drinks were awesome. I'd highly recommend the Tahitian vanilla bean creme brulee, or even better (though creme brulee is my favorite dessert) the blackberry/blueberry/raspberry cobbler. I don't know if I've ever tasted anything that good. Maybe it was just because I had a few cocktails in me, but it was absolutely amazing. Highly recommended.

Went to Crepe Cellar and I had the Spinach Mushroom Crepe and added Chicken, with Mac N' Cheese. Everything was delicious and I'll be back. The staff was very friendly also.

I just looked up the menu online. Holy crap does that place sound awesome! I already have a plan to go to this restaurant at least 8 times, even though I have never been there before - just because there are that many things on the menu that I must try. Even something as simple as a burger is a must-try when the menu describes it as being made with Gruyere, onion straws, and a garlic aioli. Can't wait to check this spot out.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the new Coffee Cup in NoDa earlier this week. It was actually awesome. Same great food, though it may give you a heart attack. The country potatoes are a must - diced new potatoes covered in seasoning and cooked like hashbrowns (crispy!). I opted for the country style steak for my meal, and it was just as good as the old CC. My other side was green beans...tasted just like they were made at home.

Though the food is still down-home country cooking, the atmosphere is very open and modern. Actually, it reminds me of another great local soul-food restaurant, Mert's. Work from local artists (for sale) adorn the walls, and there's a nice bar (no alcohol...just for food). There's an upstairs loft area with more dining as well.

Great experience and very friendly service. Really, I don't have a single complaint. I will definitely be back when in the mood for a 1500 calorie meal (hey, at least it's enough to fill you up for the whole day).