Good New Restaurants

Went to Soul, liked the vibe. Kinda reminded me of Tutto Mundo. Didn't eat a great deal of food, but everything sounded and looked wonderful. But they serve Roasted Bone Marrow. Yeah it sounds weird, but I think it's really good. If you like Pate or Foie Gras then you would probably like Roasted Bone Marrow as it's served with bread as a spread. The thing I liked about the menu was you could get something cheap like pita & tzatziki sauce for $2, or a shwarma for $4-6 bucks to something more expensive like the Bone Marrow for $7, or even sushi.

Has anyone tried Punta Cana on South Boulevard? I'm looking for some Caribbean/Jamaican food and don't care to drive to WT Harris for Anntony's.

Any other near-downtown Caribbean recommendations are also welcome.

I have not tried Punta Cana, let us know how it is. There is an Anthony's at Elizabeth and Pecan that I have always had good luck with (but some other folks have not)

Has anyone tried Punta Cana on South Boulevard? I'm looking for some Caribbean/Jamaican food and don't care to drive to WT Harris for Anntony's.

If you don't mind take-out only there is a place, and I can't think of the name right now, in the strip center across from Met Midtown (beside the Arby's). GREAT food.

There is a great one (I think an Anntony's) on 7th and pecan (?) Its fantastic but better suited for take outs in the summer thanx to the lack of A/C

The other problem with Anntony's is they literally microwave your food before they hand it to you for take out (and for dine-in). I realize other restaurants probably use the microwave as well but there is something disconcerting about waiting 15 minutes to then watch someone to put your food in a styrofoam container and hit Start.

There is a great one (I think an Anntony's) on 7th and pecan (?) Its fantastic but better suited for take outs in the summer thanx to the lack of A/C

Haven't been to Punta Cana but I've heard some good things about it. The Caribbean place near Midtown is called Austins Caribbean and is take-out only. Haven't been there either but I hear it's pretty good. There's also Mama's Caribbean on Central near Pecan which has seating. I have been there, but it's been a while. From what I remember I liked their food.

Tried two new places out on Montford this weekend: Braswell's Pub (old Press Box) and Good Food on Montford. Both have great atmosphere and are fun. Both were packed. Braswell's is basic bar food, but it's good and the service was quick--they did an excellent remodel, too. Good Food is a bit more upscale and was quite good--my only negative comments about it are its name (terrible!) and the noise (very echo-y).

Punta Cana is good. Haven't been there awhile and could be wrong but the fare leans more to Puerto Rican/Domincan than Jamaican (ie no jerk). The Mofongo (shrimp over mashed plantains) was tasty.

Tried two new places out on Montford this weekend: Braswell's Pub (old Press Box) and Good Food on Montford. Both have great atmosphere and are fun. Both were packed. Braswell's is basic bar food, but it's good and the service was quick--they did an excellent remodel, too. Good Food is a bit more upscale and was quite good--my only negative comments about it are its name (terrible!) and the noise (very echo-y).

I went to Braswell's a few weeks ago for happy hour with some friends... Definitely like the atmosphere there. Very clean feeling pub. The food was decent, not fantastic, but decent...

Loved Braswell's, personally did not like Good Food on Montford at all. I feel like there is much more value at other restaurants in Charlotte for the same level of quality in the food and prices. Don't get me wrong, the food was good, no pun intended. However the service and small plate concept (price and execution of the small plate concept) was not good in my opinion. I'd rather go to Las Ramblas any day for tapas.

• 2 weeks later...

i went to Savor Cafe & Catering on W. Morehead for lunch, right next to Open Kitchen. it opened sometime this week. there isn't really much signage still, just look for the lettering on the window. my first impression of the place was great, we all loved our food and the 'adam bomb' was actually one of my favorite burgers in recent memory. they were not exactly fast but i thought it was well worth it and i'll be back.

this area has so much potential and this place seems like a good step. i heard that there could possibly be a second Penguin location opening in the neighborhood too...

this area has so much potential and this place seems like a good step. i heard that there could possibly be a second Penguin location opening in the neighborhood too...

Yes, John Lassiter had mentioned during the Inter City Visit that the Penguin plans on opening a 2nd location at Freedom and Morehead.

We tried Basil this weekened -- AWESOME! Everything we had was great. We were seateed at the Chefs Table which is just like sitting at the bar at a Sushi bar but you are separated by a big wall of glass from the kitchen. It was really fantastic to watch just inches away as everything was prepared. We'll be back again and again...

I'm going to Crepe Cellar for my 21st birthday next Tuesday, and I can't wait! I just got back from studying abroad in Europe for 5 months and I'm interested to see how these crepes will match up. For the record, the best crepes I've had were not in Europe (Quebec City and Santa Monica actually), so I'd say my expectations are high, especially after all the reviews by you guys. What would you recommend as a dinner crepe?

So the other night I went to Crepe Cellar, and boy was I impressed. I had the Queen City with mac and cheese, pint of the Tin Can, and Crepe Suzette for dessert. Awesome birthday dinner. My only complaints were that we had slow service and you had to yell at times so the other people at your table could hear you.

Afterwords we went to Whisky River. It was pretty expensive but I loved the atmosphere. I rode the bull and failed miserably. The fiber optics in the bar were awesome, and I liked the layout of the place. Great 21st birthday.

So the other night I went to Crepe Cellar, and boy was I impressed. I had the Queen City with mac and cheese, pint of the Tin Can, and Crepe Suzette for dessert. Awesome birthday dinner. My only complaints were that we had slow service and you had to yell at times so the other people at your table could hear you.

Afterwords we went to Whisky River. It was pretty expensive but I loved the atmosphere. I rode the bull and failed miserably. The fiber optics in the bar were awesome, and I liked the layout of the place. Great 21st birthday.

Happy Birthday!

I know what you mean about the acoustics at Crepe Cellar. The owner knows it's a problem too. It doesn't seem like a Crepe restaurant would be that loud, but it can be...and the acoustics are weird.

Thanks! Yes, I definitely agree that the acoustics are weird. I'll definitely be back for more crepes though.

So far, in NoDa, I've only eaten at the Crepe Cellar and the pizza place where Mellow Mushroom used to be (what's it's name again?). From you NoDa frequenters, what are the top 10 restaurants in NoDa? I've seen Cabo Fish Taco, which I think might be good, and also the Louisiana kitchen (Boudreaux's??).

So far, in NoDa, I've only eaten at the Crepe Cellar and the pizza place where Mellow Mushroom used to be (what's it's name again?). From you NoDa frequenters, what are the top 10 restaurants in NoDa? I've seen Cabo Fish Taco, which I think might be good, and also the Louisiana kitchen (Boudreaux's??).

I don't venture over to NoDa as much as I like, but Cabo Fish Taco is a definite must... I'm addicted to their salsa and their Mahi Mahi tacos are great.

Thanks! Yes, I definitely agree that the acoustics are weird. I'll definitely be back for more crepes though.

My favorite is Salvador Deli. The Cubano is one of my favorite sandwiches in the city. Cabo Fish Taco is great. Haven't actually been to Bordeaux's. If you haven't been yet, get down to Amelie's French Bakery at 28th Row. Open 24 hours, great pastries and the sandwiches are pretty good. My favorite is the tomato and crab bisque.

In reality, though, I don't know if there are a total of 10 restaurants in NoDa. Some of the bars may have food but you wouldn't go there to eat, like Dolce Vita.

Hmm, here's all of the ones I can think of, I don't think I missed any:

1. Revolution Pizza (amazing pizza, trivia night is always packed on Wednesday nite)

2. Cabo (the old standby is still great and cheep)

3. Solstice (everyday bar food, don't knock it!)

4. Crepe Cellar (a little fancy for NoDa)

5. Amiles (for those intellectual types)

6. Salvadore Deli (neighborhood deli!!!)

7. Boudreauxs (get the bourbon porckchops!)

8. Sanctuary (which shares a kitchen with Boudreauxs)

9. Brown Bag (which serves Boudreaux breakfast sandwiches)

10. Smelly Cat (pastries and coffee are a meal)

11. Highland Mill Diner (Coffee Cup - the owner split and took the name but the staff and cook stayed on)

12. The burger shed in the gravel parkinglot (I can't remember the name) on Mallory St. by Highland Mill is open for lunch and is said to have the best burgers in the city, but I've never been. They've been serving for 25 years.

A sign just want up for a Yogurt Shop. I'm excited about that. Mama Ricotta's was onboard to open a place in the redeveloped Mecklenburg Mill (if it EVER happens), and a new bar owned by the owners of Prevue is up for rezoning next to Salvadore Deli.

I'll say that there aren't enough restaurants in NoDa to make it so I don't need to leave for the sake of variety. I want a Thai place, Indian place, and Italian place.

If I were going to suggest one place to anyone, I would suggest Revolution - because it's owned in-neighborhood, participates a lot in the 'hood, has excellent pizza and a great beer selection, and is located centrally and great for people watching.