Good New Restaurants

I could have sworn that there was a threat to discuss restaurant closings, but I can't find it for the life of me. Anyway - another one to announce: The Oceanaire Seafood Room has closed. This stinks - GW Finns first, and then The Oceanaire. I much preferred The Oceanaire of the two. Not a place that I find myself going to very often because it was so pricey, but it stinks that it's no longer an option when I am up for a splurge.

I could have sworn that there was a threat to discuss restaurant closings, but I can't find it for the life of me. Anyway - another one to announce: The Oceanaire Seafood Room has closed. This stinks - GW Finns first, and then The Oceanaire. I much preferred The Oceanaire of the two. Not a place that I find myself going to very often because it was so pricey, but it stinks that it's no longer an option when I am up for a splurge.

Yup... The company, based in Minneapolis is filing chapter 11... I think the only one they are keeping open is in Dallas.

EDIT: changed to based in Minneapolis

Edited by dbull75

Has anyone tried Sofram Contemporary Turkish Cuisine?

I drive by it occasionally and have been very curious. Maybe I'll take a chance and report back to this thread.

Well, I am replying to my own post from over 2 years ago.

Today, I noticed the Turkish restaurant Sofram has closed. I rode by there tonight and the lights were on inside and the place has been gutted. Not sure how long ago this happened but I don't think it's been closed very long. I know this isn't an unusual site to see these days but I thought I'd pass it along if anyone thought about going.

• 3 weeks later...

Just opened Friday in the Shoppes at Ardrey Kell (521 and Ardrey Kell on the far far south side) -- P.J. O'Reilly's.

Not much content at their website:

http://www.pjoreillys.com/

I've been twice: Once for beer and once to eat.

It's a nice place. I think they succeeded in the pub-ish feel, although it's all a little too new. 8 or so good beers on tap. Very small restaurant area with low tables. Also a bar area with high tables. Also half-booths around the edges. Patio with 8 or so tables (will be covered eventually). A couple video games in the back room.

Pub apps, sandwiches, and entrees. See menu at their website for prices and selection. A bit pricey for old-timers looking for a bar meal, but probably pretty standard these days. Standard stuff (nachos, burgers, etc.), but also some more specialized pub stuff like Bangers & Mashed, and Corned Beef & Cabbage. The fried stuff (chicken fingers, fish sandwich, o-rings) is battered in a Guinness batter. The food we had (chicken fingers and fish sandwich) was okay, but sadly was a little bland. No spice to the batter, and no sauces for dipping or adding. The home-made potato chips (as a side) were pretty darn good.

I really like it as a place, so I'll be back to try some other food.

• 2 weeks later...

^

Have you been to Tasty-Yo in NoDa yet? They've only been opened 2-3 weeks but seem to have developed quite a cult following already.

Also, finally got to Nix recently, and I have to say... Big Daddy's beats them hands down for service, entrees, sides and beer.

Also, finally got to Nix recently, and I have to say... Big Daddy's beats them hands down for service, entrees, sides and beer.

No doubt... Though I do like the Counter in Southpark as well. Still, nothing beats a Penguin burger in my book :)

Edited by dbull75

Have you been to Tasty-Yo in NoDa yet? They've only been opened 2-3 weeks but seem to have developed quite a cult following already.

I've been a couple times. The first two times I went, they were sold out and had to close early.

I think they've done more business than they expected. They're open every afternoon/evening except monday (I learned that the hard way).

So here's the rub on Tasty-Yo: It's TART Fro-Yo, so be prepared for that - it's the same consistency as soft serve but it tastes just like vanilla yogurt (like Dannon). They only have vanilla because you choose what "flavors" or "toppings" you want (fruit, chocolate chips, graham cracker, whatever). Costs about $3. My wife and I shared one and it was enough for us. The internet tells me that it's much healthier than TCBY and has digestive enzymes and the like. The internet also tells me that it's very popular on the West Coast (we Charlotteans love to show that we're down with what the other hip cities are into). And I always believe anything the internet tells me.

Edited by The Escapists

No doubt... Though I do like the Counter in Southpark as well. Still, nothing beats a Penguin burger in my book :)

It depends. If I want a basic, greasy burger then its Penguin. If I want a more gormet or specially burger, then its Big Daddy's Burger Bar.

Oh, and yeah I tried Tasty-yo but I'm not a big yogurt fan, so the tartness of it just isn't my thing. If they had a "sweet" instead of "tart" frozen yogurt machine that I'd be all over that.

In Charlotte, I agree. If you go just a bit outside of Charlotte, there is a place near downtown Monroe called Dukes. Best burger ever. It's a dumpy little place no bigger than the Penguin that has been around since 1955.

Have you been to Tasty-Yo in NoDa yet? They've only been opened 2-3 weeks but seem to have developed quite a cult following already

So here's the rub on Tasty-Yo: It's TART Fro-Yo, so be prepared for that - it's the same consistency as soft serve but it tastes just like vanilla yogurt (like Dannon). They only have vanilla because you choose what "flavors" or "toppings" you want (fruit, chocolate chips, graham cracker, whatever). Costs about $3. My wife and I shared one and it was enough for us. The internet tells me that it's much healthier than TCBY and has digestive enzymes and the like. The internet also tells me that it's very popular on the West Coast (we Charlotteans love to show that we're down with what the other hip cities are into). And I always believe anything the internet tells me.

Oh, and yeah I tried Tasty-yo but I'm not a big yogurt fan, so the tartness of it just isn't my thing. If they had a "sweet" instead of "tart" frozen yogurt machine that I'd be all over that.

See I like the tart frozen yogurt, thats what I think The Yogurt Pump in Chapel Hill does right... they always have at least one tart flavor and it never fails. I'm looking at Tasty Yo's facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Charlotte-NC...-yo/94111730546 which has photos, and as The Escapists mentioned, Tasty Yo seems to be more akin to Pinkberry - which is prominent on the west coast and NYC -- and I've had Pinkberry both in LA and NYC and it is good but I don't consider it the same kind of frozen yogurt that the yogurt pump is. Thanks for all the information guys!'

Edit: http://www.tasty-yo.com/ their site

Edited by DigitalSky

I went to Soul Gastrolounge last night for the first time... The sushi was pretty good. Their sashimi was solid. Whenever I eat sushi I always order spicy tuna rolls, and theirs were good but still doesn't beat the ones at Press or Sushi 101 IMO. I liked the atmosphere inside which was casual and laid back. It reminds me a little of the old Nikko before it became sushi bar meets Miami dance club. The sake and beer selection was pretty good. They had Singha which is my favorite Thai beer. The price was very good... I had three different sushi plates plus a bottle of sake and two beers. My better half had a cheese dip app, 2 other tapas plus 3 glasses of wines. With tip, it was $80... Not bad. And we didn't drive either :) Overall, I'd give it a 3 out of 4 stars. Not outstanding, but solid.

Edited by dbull75

Got to check out Real Foods Charlotte over in the former Tea-Rex location. Verdict? That place is gooood. I had the mushroom-stuff pita, which I will totally get again - if its still on the menu. Its a small menu, I think designed as such so they can rotate items and keep the selection top notch (ala Zada Janes). Everything but the breads is raw, and the breads are made there in-house. They have a very strong sense of textures and combination, which comes through because the ingredients are so damned good. It looked like food+drink will set you back around $10-13 - at least for their lunch menu. I need to go back and try a breakfast item soon (they serve the breakfast stuff at lunch, too.)

anyone heard of Room 112 yet? its a new modern asian and sushi place in the 'silo-top' building on the square, i don't know its real name. you can get there by the plaza behind the waterfalls or by the hallway entrance on Tryon.

this place was GOOD. i only ate sushi, but they have noodle dishes and some good-looking specialty entrees as well. i was impressed by the presentation and dinnerware, and the sleek red and black modern look of the place is pretty well-done. prices are very reasonable for what you get (and between this and Fujo i am NEVER going to pay Nikko prices again. it is at least as upscale as Nikko, but less showy)

granted its a pretty small room, but i was surprised that it was absolutely packed on a Wednesday, due to several large groups. the waiter told me they've been open for about 6 weeks. we'll see how well they do when the added competition of Fiji and Enso is introduced, but i think those (well, definitely Enso at least) will be more in the overpriced trendy scene mold of Nikko, and less likely to stand the test of time.

my one complaint: they still play what i call the "uptown special" obnoxious club music, but at a low volume. anyway, still highly recommended!

Edited by nonillogical

If you are into vegetarian, vegan, or raw foods a new place just opened in Southend -- Real Food Charlotte. It is attached to Athletic Club Southend behind what used to be Southend Brewery. Great little cafe -- the breakfast is especially good. Swiss Muesli with fresh fruit, fresh smoothies. Just had lunch there -- marinated raw mushroom pita pocket...

I had the swiss muesli yesterday for breakfast at RF Charlotte. It was great and they have made good use of the space. The smoothie I had was awesome but adding that on brought my total to $12 for breakfast which is not the norm for me. Might just get juice next time. Still have to check out the lunch menu.

Checked out Cafe Central last night. A new bar/restaurant in the former gay community ctr in PM. Basic menu and reasonable prices with continental fare, sparse but laidback and cool atmosphere. We just had turkey burgers which are hard to screw up but I would go back and try something else. They were pretty empty and the place seems to be relying on word of mouth. There is great loyalty in that neighborhood to good local joints so I think they have a shot at making it.

Edited by voyager12

Went to a great new place for lunch called "Savor". It's located on W. Morehead next to the Open Kitchen. Currently, the place is only open for lunch (11-3) during the week. The place is small but the food has big taste, style, and freshness. They do a daily special plus a menu of salads, burgers, sandwiches, and a couple of hot items. Definately worth checking out.

Suruchi's, my favorite Indian spot in Charlotte, has closed unfortunately. It was a spot that had no atmosphere, less-than-desirable naan bread, but the most amazingly tasty and spicy meals that always included a couple Indian side-dishes in the combo meal that you never get anywhere else. I would usually be the only non-Indian person in this place. I'm sad to see it go. Anywhere else that you guys know of that serve really spicy Indian? Like the real stuff? There is a Cuban restaurant already slated to open in that space.

Also, Creation in Plaza Midwood closed yesterday. I went there once and wasn't that impressed with the food, but I think this place had a spot in the PM nightlife scene as a popular neighborhood bar. Apparently, from what I've heard, the popularity diminished.

I have been a long time fan of Creation :( Always thought the food was good. OTHOH, the dining area was always deserted and I often heard people complain about unfriendly service, I never had an issue. The bar did have a loyal following and it sucks for the former employees. Hopefully surrounding spots can absorb them.

Edited by voyager12

I have been a long time fan of Creation :( Always thought the food was good. OTHOH, the dining area was always deserted and I often heard people complain about unfriendly service, I never had an issue. The bar did have a loyal following and it sucks for the former employees. Hopefully surrounding spots can absorb them.

I've been there a few times and liked the food as well. However, it was always pretty empty. I had wondered how long they would be able to survive in this economic climate. Hopefully something good can fill the void.

I've been there a few times and liked the food as well. However, it was always pretty empty. I had wondered how long they would be able to survive in this economic climate. Hopefully something good can fill the void.

They had narrowly escaped going out of business about 6 months ago - then stayed open (and didn't bother to change their menu or business model). It was only a matter of time. I love thai food, but never liked their food much. I wish they had changed up their menu - I certainly don't think their location or atmosphere was lacking - only their menu.

Suruchi's, my favorite Indian spot in Charlotte, has closed unfortunately. It was a spot that had no atmosphere, less-than-desirable naan bread, but the most amazingly tasty and spicy meals that always included a couple Indian side-dishes in the combo meal that you never get anywhere else. I would usually be the only non-Indian person in this place. I'm sad to see it go. Anywhere else that you guys know of that serve really spicy Indian? Like the real stuff?

While I can't speak much about Indian food, you might have some luck finding a replacement next weekend at the Festival of India, uptown.

They had narrowly escaped going out of business about 6 months ago - then stayed open (and didn't bother to change their menu or business model). It was only a matter of time. I love thai food, but never liked their food much. I wish they had changed up their menu - I certainly don't think their location or atmosphere was lacking - only their menu.

I went by this evening and there seemed to be some kind of party going on. Perhaps a final blowout or it's already being utilized for something else. I suppose one of the benefits of the downturn is the availibility of space for a mix of uses. One example being the poetry slams ongoing in the vacant space of the former gay community center.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from Fran's Filling Station. Its a solid neighborhood joint in the strip center at the Park Kenilworth split (same center as Ru San's -- in the spot that once was home to the german place). Food was very good, wife had the Turkey and dressing (very good), my daughter got the meatballs (with maranara, melted cheese and some bread -- all spectacular) and I had an Itallian beef sandwich (good but not particularly noteworthy until I got some ju to use as dip). Also got the bacon wrapped tater tots!

They have a bar, but I didn't see any liquor or taps yet. Service was attentive but not speedy. Overall it was a great meal. I will be back.