Good New Restaurants

I've heard La Paz is moving from South End to Midtown. I'm indifferent about this move because I think La Paz's food is average for mexican.

Agreed. I always preferred going to Cantina for Mexican in the South End/Dilworth area. Hopefully a niche can be filled at their old digs. I think La Paz's new Midtown location is supposed to open sometime around June.

Edited by dbull75

I had a really bad experience the first time I went to Cantina 3 years ago but its come a looong way since then in my opinion and I love it now. La Paz was just awful.

I agree. I never had a bad experience at Cantina, but the first time I went there I thought the food was rather bland. Then a few years ago they changed the menu and made some definite upgrades in their food and selections in general.

Edited by dbull75

• 1 month later...

I ate at Kalu tonight with my boss and some customers. We walked down to Courtside, and it just seemed awkward bringing customers with us to that spot. There is nothing wrong with the area...it's just devoid of activity and it seemed weird walking with a customer there from their hotel (Aloft at the Epicentre). We were really looking forward to the meal because of what we had heard, and when we got there, we were expecting a happening place.

But it was dead. And that didn't change throughout our meal...only 3-4 tables filled from 7:30-10:00. We were handed the menus. I thought they were drink menus at first - 1/3 sheet of 8.5x11 sheet paper printed with a noticeably cheap ink-jet printer. They did not look like something you'd see from a restaurant on Esquires "best new restaurants" list.

Though we initially thought that we should maybe go somewhere else, we decided to stay, ordered some drinks, placed our order for 9 different dishes to share, and just crossed our fingers that it would be at least decent.

But when the food came out, everything changed. The presentation was amazing. The quality and freshness was as good as it can get. Everything was utterly delicious. From the Kobe meatballs to the wagyu with garlic chips to the iron rice pots to the multiple sushi items we ordered, it was just a fantastic meal altogether. The sashimi was so incredibly fresh - no soy sauce, no wasabi - just yellowtail alone. It was wonderful. No complaints about a single item, and we all were talking about how good the meal was as we carried on in conversation afterwards. It was an over-the-top experience for all of us. We were just so impressed with the quality of the food. By the way, it was expensive - about $75/person with tip and just one drink.

To tell you the truth, though, even as fantastic as tonight's meal was, I don't seen Kalu lasting in this spot. It is just too far off of the beaten path. If this place were on Tryon or College, it would be the hottest place in town and everyone would know about it. But instead, it's at 6th and Caldwell, where no one has any reason to go (unless they live there, of course) and I end up finding out about it from reading a nationally published magazine (Esquire) instead of hearing it from a local rag or word of mouth. You can't keep a restaurant open when you only fill 3-4 tables out of 30 or so. And I am apparently the only person I know that actually knows that this place exists - of the many people I've talked to about this place even before I went there, not a single one has heard of it or even knows where it is when I try to describe the location.

I ate at Kalu tonight with my boss and some customers. We walked down to Courtside, and it just seemed awkward bringing customers with us to that spot. There is nothing wrong with the area...it's just devoid of activity and it seemed weird walking with a customer there from their hotel (Aloft at the Epicentre). We were really looking forward to the meal because of what we had heard, and when we got there, we were expecting a happening place.

But it was dead. And that didn't change throughout our meal...only 3-4 tables filled from 7:30-10:00. We were handed the menus. I thought they were drink menus at first - 1/3 sheet of 8.5x11 sheet paper printed with a noticeably cheap ink-jet printer. They did not look like something you'd see from a restaurant on Esquires "best new restaurants" list.

Though we initially thought that we should maybe go somewhere else, we decided to stay, ordered some drinks, placed our order for 9 different dishes to share, and just crossed our fingers that it would be at least decent.

But when the food came out, everything changed. The presentation was amazing. The quality and freshness was as good as it can get. Everything was utterly delicious. From the Kobe meatballs to the wagyu with garlic chips to the iron rice pots to the multiple sushi items we ordered, it was just a fantastic meal altogether. The sashimi was so incredibly fresh - no soy sauce, no wasabi - just yellowtail alone. It was wonderful. No complaints about a single item, and we all were talking about how good the meal was as we carried on in conversation afterwards. It was an over-the-top experience for all of us. We were just so impressed with the quality of the food. By the way, it was expensive - about $75/person with tip and just one drink.

To tell you the truth, though, even as fantastic as tonight's meal was, I don't seen Kalu lasting in this spot. It is just too far off of the beaten path. If this place were on Tryon or College, it would be the hottest place in town and everyone would know about it. But instead, it's at 6th and Caldwell, where no one has any reason to go (unless they live there, of course) and I end up finding out about it from reading a nationally published magazine (Esquire) instead of hearing it from a local rag or word of mouth. You can't keep a restaurant open when you only fill 3-4 tables out of 30 or so. And I am apparently the only person I know that actually knows that this place exists - of the many people I've talked to about this place even before I went there, not a single one has heard of it or even knows where it is when I try to describe the location.

That was similar to my experience with the place, though my girlfriend and I went on a Tuesday night after Valentine's Day so didn't expect it to be busy (yeah maybe 4 tables occupied), and I lived a few blocks away at the time so was used to the area's activity level. Thanks to the design of the place it didn't feel awkward in its emptiness, we almost felt kind of exclusive instead.

Would it do better on Tryon or College? Sure, but I don't think the current location is as bad as you make it out to be. I have walked or ridden by the place before when they were SLAMMED. Kanvas is opening or might already be open right around the corner, and the italian restaurant across the street has been doing steady business, so I think things are improving. If either one of the surface lots across Caldwell were developed no one would give the location a second thought (but then it wouldn't have quite the view it has now). I think just a few more businesses in First Ward would do wonders for stabilizing their neighbors, and residentially its a really desirable neighborhood now IMO.

I'm optimistic about its survival because I have seen it on good nights, but I admit its a risky type of restaurant in all but the safest locations. Frankly though, as fickle as the Charlotte dining and nightlife scene is, I'd expect a large restaurant thats in trouble to not even last the year that Kalu has so far.

Completely agree on the food. It surpassed the best I'd ever had of each and every type: sashimi, dim sum, miso, etc and I've never been to a place with such high presentation standards. Each course was a total work of art. The waiter was also great and made us feel very comfortable with the place, even though we're clearly not the type to drop so much money on a dinner very often.

Edited by nonillogical

That was similar to my experience with the place, though my girlfriend and I went on a Tuesday night after Valentine's Day so didn't expect it to be busy (yeah maybe 4 tables occupied), and I lived a few blocks away at the time so was used to the area's activity level. Thanks to the design of the place it didn't feel awkward in its emptiness, we almost felt kind of exclusive instead.

Would it do better on Tryon or College? Sure, but I don't think the current location is as bad as you make it out to be. I have walked or ridden by the place before when they were SLAMMED. Kanvas is opening or might already be open right around the corner, and the italian restaurant across the street has been doing steady business, so I think things are improving. If either one of the surface lots across Caldwell were developed no one would give the location a second thought (but then it wouldn't have quite the view it has now). I think just a few more businesses in First Ward would do wonders for stabilizing their neighbors, and residentially its a really desirable neighborhood now IMO.

I'm optimistic about its survival because I have seen it on good nights, but I admit its a risky type of restaurant in all but the safest locations. Frankly though, as fickle as the Charlotte dining and nightlife scene is, I'd expect a large restaurant thats in trouble to not even last the year that Kalu has so far.

Completely agree on the food. It surpassed the best I'd ever had of each and every type: sashimi, dim sum, miso, etc and I've never been to a place with such high presentation standards. Each course was a total work of art. The waiter was also great and made us feel very comfortable with the place, even though we're clearly not the type to drop so much money on a dinner very often.

Because I live in the area, I've gone quite a few times and it's been fairly crowded more times than not. Perhaps it was just one of those off nights. Food has always been excellent/top notch, although service is spotty. I think the prices are reasonable for the food, but add a little liquor and all of a sudden not so reasonable. That's why I bring my own bottle of wine when I go. BYOB!

I also don't think the area is too bad either... perhaps once the UNCC uptown building opens this summer and the First Ward Park is done (hopefully in time for the DNC), you may see improved foot traffic. I recall speaking to the GM once and he said his rent is relatively low compared to what was being asked for retail spaces in the Epicentre. Therefore, they should be able to survive longer than one might think, but who knows. Also there is valet parking for all those suburbanites who have love affairs with their cars.

I'm a believer of "if the food is good and priced accordingly, they will come." There are lots of examples of restaurants in less than ideal locations, somewhat off the beaten path, that have survived the test of time. Just my $.02.

• 4 weeks later...

I ate at One-Way Barbecue today in between Quizno's and the Pizza place (can't recall the name) in the Fourth Street Garage (at 4th & McDowell). Awesome stuff - and cheap! $7.50 for a massive platter of pulled pork, hush puppies, and two sides. They call it Eastern-style barbecue, but the sauce seemed like Western NC sauce to me. Nevertheless - delicious!

They said that they'd been open for about 3 months. I hadn't heard of this place at all until a few days ago and when I went there today at 1:30, I was the only one there. I don't know if I just missed the lunch rush or what, but I hope business is better than it appeared.

What's the deal with La Paz in SouthEnd? Their webiste (which is pretty terrible) says they were force out of the South Blvd location much like the Penguin folks were in PM. The note on the website hints that they're moving to Metropolitan. Anybody know any details about what happened?

per the business journal in April the landlord is suing the restaurant for breach of contract for back rent (about $80,000) and damages. The blurb says that the lease ran until 2013 and the restaurant in January. I suspect that they will struggle to sign a new lease (under the LaPaz name) until this is settled.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2011/04/22/art-of-the-deal.html

per the business journal in April the landlord is suing the restaurant for breach of contract for back rent (about $80,000) and damages. The blurb says that the lease ran until 2013 and the restaurant in January. I suspect that they will struggle to sign a new lease (under the LaPaz name) until this is settled.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2011/04/22/art-of-the-deal.html

I don't think they were very good with their financials...I knew people that worked there, and their paychecks consistently bounced.

• 1 month later...

I am very suprised that nobody has mentioned this, but the regions most notable style of cooking/foodstuff is finally coming to the regions most notable intersection, trade and tryon. The 100 N. Tryon location was a medical clinic space in the Bank of America Corporate Center(entrance on trade street) and will become "City Smoke" by Sonoma Restaurant Group the owners of Pie Town, Frankies, Press and Aria. This is very exciting it and it opens First Quarter 2012! I love the new non-sushi non-steakhouse type restaurants coming online...

I thought I'd take a second to run through the recently opened and soon-to-open restaurants and bars in uptown since it seems like there are a TON and some have slipped under the radar.

Nick's Steak and Taphouse - 6th & LRT in the former Levecchia's space, next to future green market

American Roadside Burgers - Ally building on Church St.

Habasaki Grill - Ally building on Church St.

Emzy Sushi - Duke Energy Center on Church St.

Energy Cafe - Duke Energy Center, breezeway

Mizan - Mint Museum on 1st

Emeril's Charlotte - Mint Museum on 1st

Moe's - Epicentre

Yoforia - Epicentre

Delta's - former GW Fins space near N. Tryon & 9th

Kanvas - 6th & Davidson

Vapiano - 4th & S. Tryon

Carolina Ale House - 4th & College

Belfast Mill - Brevard Court

Nefelies - Brevard Court

Valhalla - Brevard Court

City Smoke - 100 N. Tryon (I'm unclear on what this means exactly, is it founder's hall? Nible do you have more info?)

?? - Something going in at Trade & Tryon next to Starbucks

There have also been a number of rebrands/name changes like Wok on Fire to Rice Inc, and Attic/Madison's to Prohibition. All in all pretty impressive in a short time span I think! Am I missing anything?

It seems that Brevard Court is becoming a bit of an unknown destination. I haven't heard of Valhalla, Nefelies, or Belfast Mill, but the reviews online are great and make me excited to make Brevard Court my next "night out." I haven't been to Hooligan's yet either, but tack on French Quarter (are they open later now?) to the list and this is one hell of a great mix of local pubs in one really cool place. And the nearby newly opened and opening restaurants at the Mint and Ally buildings are even more of a reason to make these few blocks a destination. Can't wait to head out to Brevard Court after hearing about these spots!

I thought I'd take a second to run through the recently opened and soon-to-open restaurants and bars in uptown since it seems like there are a TON and some have slipped under the radar.

Nick's Steak and Taphouse - 6th & LRT in the former Levecchia's space, next to future green market

American Roadside Burgers - Ally building on Church St.

Habasaki Grill - Ally building on Church St.

Emzy Sushi - Duke Energy Center on Church St.

Energy Cafe - Duke Energy Center, breezeway

Mizan - Mint Museum on 1st

Emeril's Charlotte - Mint Museum on 1st

Moe's - Epicentre

Yoforia - Epicentre

Delta's - former GW Fins space near N. Tryon & 9th

Kanvas - 6th & Davidson

Vapiano - 4th & S. Tryon

Carolina Ale House - 4th & College

Belfast Mill - Brevard Court

Nefelies - Brevard Court

Valhalla - Brevard Court

City Smoke - 100 N. Tryon (I'm unclear on what this means exactly, is it founder's hall? Nible do you have more info?)

?? - Something going in at Trade & Tryon next to Starbucks

There have also been a number of rebrands/name changes like Wok on Fire to Rice Inc, and Attic/Madison's to Prohibition. All in all pretty impressive in a short time span I think! Am I missing anything?

Looks like an official press release has come out for city smoke. They will be part of Founders Hall but will have a Trade Street Entrance, right accross from epicentre. With the addition of the Carolina Ale House and City Smoke, College Street is quickly starting to finally live up to its potential! Extending this stretch of bars and restaurants another two whole blocks! As soon as we get something on the ground floor of Omni we will definitely be in business!

http://www.charlottecentercity.org/news/article/335/city-smoke-coming-to-uptown-early-2012/

I thought I posted yesterday, but my posting has disappeared. Does anyone know what has happened to the new Marakesh Moroccan Restaruant in Cornelius. It opened a couple weeks ago without advertising or making any announcements and did well the first weekend it was opened despite. Now, it is gone. It is as if the owner got out of town quickly. Any idea what happened. It is my understanding that he owner owns a place in University City. I believe the place had a chance at success with the belly dancing, etc.

Las night my wife, son, and I went to Genaro's Peruvian Rotissarie Restaurant at 10405 Park Road, Charlotte. We read their ad a few days earlier. I consider myself as a qualified judge of Peruvian restaurants as I have lived in Central and South America. When I walked in, I noticed the noisy kids, the wonderful food smell, the loud suplemental fans going, the tables, the Latin music and other things that made this place look truly authentic. Also, we were the only grengos around. The food was truly excellent. I ordered ceveche, not on the menu, which was one of the best I have ever had, and other dishes. The food was truly authentic just as you would get in Peru at a restaurant that had good chefs. If you like food from south of the border, this place is the place to go. It doesn't get more authentic than this in the U.S. I must warn you that the portions are large and one portion will generally feed two people. The service was good as well. I only wish the place was closer to Cornelius. I suggested a third location up here. This is not a romantic restaurant with candle lit tables. But, if you want a meal to remember, try it. Actually, I don't usually care for unruly kids in restaurants, but in such cases I don't mind if they are not too close. You will feel as if you are actually south of the border.

Edited by caterpillar2