Good New Restaurants

Las night my wife, son, and I went to Genaro's Peruvian Rotissarie Restaurant at 10405 Park Road, Charlotte. We read their ad a few days earlier. I consider myself as a qualified judge of Peruvian restaurants as I have lived in Central and South America. When I walked in, I noticed the noisy kids, the wonderful food smell, the loud suplemental fans going, the tables, the Latin music and other things that made this place look truly authentic. Also, we were the only grengos around. The food was truly excellent. I ordered ceveche, not on the menu, which was one of the best I have ever had, and other dishes. The food was truly authentic just as you would get in Peru at a restaurant that had good chefs. If you like food from south of the border, this place is the place to go. It doesn't get more authentic than this in the U.S. I must warn you that the portions are large and one portion will generally feed two people. The service was good as well. I only wish the place was closer to Cornelius. I suggested a third location up here. This is not a romantic restaurant with candle lit tables. But, if you want a meal to remember, try it. Actually, I don't usually care for unruly kids in restaurants, but in such cases I don't mind if they are not too close. You will feel as if you are actually south of the border.

I've always wanted to try Peruvian food. Can you give me some suggestions for "beginner" dishes? I like a lot of different ethnic flavors, but I am a bit picky when it comes to trying new/odd textures outside of the Western diet (I usually try a new ethnic dish with chicken or something that I am familiar with the texture). My wife is vegetarian too...

Las night my wife, son, and I went to Genaro's Peruvian Rotissarie Restaurant at 10405 Park Road, Charlotte. We read their ad a few days earlier. I consider myself as a qualified judge of Peruvian restaurants as I have lived in Central and South America. When I walked in, I noticed the noisy kids, the wonderful food smell, the loud suplemental fans going, the tables, the Latin music and other things that made this place look truly authentic. Also, we were the only grengos around. The food was truly excellent. I ordered ceveche, not on the menu, which was one of the best I have ever had, and other dishes. The food was truly authentic just as you would get in Peru at a restaurant that had good chefs. If you like food from south of the border, this place is the place to go. It doesn't get more authentic than this in the U.S. I must warn you that the portions are large and one portion will generally feed two people. The service was good as well. I only wish the place was closer to Cornelius. I suggested a third location up here. This is not a romantic restaurant with candle lit tables. But, if you want a meal to remember, try it. Actually, I don't usually care for unruly kids in restaurants, but in such cases I don't mind if they are not too close. You will feel as if you are actually south of the border.

No Cuy on the menu?

Would be worth the drive for the Incacola alone....

I've always wanted to try Peruvian food. Can you give me some suggestions for "beginner" dishes? I like a lot of different ethnic flavors, but I am a bit picky when it comes to trying new/odd textures outside of the Western diet (I usually try a new ethnic dish with chicken or something that I am familiar with the texture). My wife is vegetarian too...

I love Genaro's! My favorite is the Rotisserie Chicken there....you can get white or dark meat. And also they have great sides: Spicy Beans, Cilantro Rice, Corn, Fried Plantains, French Fries, Fried Yucas (Potatoes), etc.....They have several seafood items also.

Also, I just tried Sauceman's again, and they have substantially stepped up their game. If you haven't given it a shot in a while, I'd recommend a return trip. The whole menu was revamped, and they have a lot of very unique sandwiches and what not. Quality and creative. (Also points for the jug of arnold palmer)

• 2 weeks later...

^ That sounds good. I mean I'd probably rather have a straightforward Indian restaurant, but either way its still something we don't have uptown! I can't remember its name but the Indian restaurant that was in the Havana space on Church was decent and cheap, but never open.

Also good news about the LaPaz space. I don't think there's any Italian place very nearby.

^ That sounds good. I mean I'd probably rather have a straightforward Indian restaurant, but either way its still something we don't have uptown! I can't remember its name but the Indian restaurant that was in the Havana space on Church was decent and cheap, but never open.

Also good news about the LaPaz space. I don't think there's any Italian place very nearby.

You probably know but there are actually two Indian restaurants uptown that I know of. One is a carry away place in the Arcade and the other is in the building that houses a McDonalds (I believe) and a few other obscure restaurants on Tryon across from Ri Ra's I believe. As far as I am converned, you can't get enough Indian restaurants. The two that I mention are only open for lunch I believe. It would be great to have one that is open late evenings for after theater performances, etc.

You probably know but there are actually two Indian restaurants uptown that I know of. One is a carry away place in the Arcade and the other is in the building that houses a McDonalds (I believe) and a few other obscure restaurants  on Tryon across from Ri Ra's I believe. As far as I am converned, you can't get enough Indian restaurants.  The two that I mention are only open for lunch I believe. It would be great to have one that is open late evenings for after theater performances, etc.

There is also another one in the Ivey's building - Spice9. Only open for lunch, but it is very good!

Suruchi's was the one where Havana is now. I did love that place - cheap, large portions, and spicy as hell!

I can't think of the name of the Indian restaurant, but it is behind Park Road Shopping Center. Anyway, I went there for the lunch buffet the other day and it was empty. I thought the tandoori chicken was not very good. Of course it was lunch and I know that things are toned down spice wise. Nevertheless, with a sanitation grade of 90 and my experience that day, I don't know if I will go back. I thought that there would at least be someone other than my table in the restaurant at lunchtime. Was this just an unusual experience there for me or should I just simple not give them another chance. I am a fanatic for Indian food and spent many years in London eating it as my main staple. I hope that maybe they just had a substitute cook that day.

Not new (but not old) - I finally made it to Krazy Fish on Central. Formerly Buckhead Tavern, Formerly Dirty Dens....

It was surprisingly good. Huge portions for the Roti (basically a burrito) and the fish tacos were very tasty with a variety of salsas. I would say they could compete with Cabo. And on a Friday night they had $2 Fat Tires.... can't beat that.

Menu:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/820415/Krazy%20Fish%20Menu.doc.pdf

So I guess Midwood Smokehouse probably isn't "new", but I just went there yesterday. With apologies to Mac's and those who love it, Midwood is easily the best BBQ in town. It's probably the best commercial BBQ I've had outside of Texas. The ribs, brisket, and butt were all outstanding -- can't wait to try the sausage next time. The BBQ Beans were awesome, and the mac&cheese and red slaw were excellent. Highly recommended.

The ribs, brisket, and butt were all outstanding -- can't wait to try the sausage next time. The BBQ Beans were awesome, and the mac&cheese and red slaw were excellent.

Its not my intention to start a battle but I do want to say that from a North Carolinean's point of view none of the above should be called BBQ.

Having said that I do agree that Midwood smokehouse has some pretty good beef cooked over smoke.

• Like 1

^ That's Situl. My girlfriend and I go for dinner semi regularly and we love it. I haven't had anything bad there and feel like I get a lot for the money. I'm no expert on Indian food but its currently my favorite. I wouldn't judge any restaurant by their lunch buffet.

I will definately give it a try some evening if out that way. I was also concerned with the sanitation grade of "90" though. I have heard people say, "94 and out the door". I do know that Indian food contains spices that kill bacteria, so if the deduction of points was a result of food not being kept hot enough, I understand. I remember eating at a very good Indian buffet on S. Boulevard years ago and by the time I turned on the new at my dads house a few hours later, I saw it had been closed for serving food that wasn't hot enough. I guess the Indian restaurants and health department need to have a conference.

• 3 weeks later...

The Carolina Ale House at the corner of 4th and College has finally opened. Its a pretty interesting spot across the street from the Epicenter and next to Panera, but its good to see more ground level activity on College St. Plus, the Ale House is a great place to grab a beer and watch the game. I've been to a couple of them!

The Carolina Ale House at the corner of 4th and College has finally opened. Its a pretty interesting spot across the street from the Epicenter and next to Panera, but its good to see more ground level activity on College St. Plus, the Ale House is a great place to grab a beer and watch the game. I've been to a couple of them!

Saw PIctures on Facebook! I am SO Disappointed they didn't redo the outside and open it up more to the street! This is a HUGE missed opportunity! This corner barely changed, I thought there was plans to do something to the outside, some Garage Doors would have been EPIC! They really missed out...

It looks better at night or on a cloudy day when you can really see the activity/people/tv's inside.

I saw pictures at night, it looked cool, but they really missed out on outdoor space. I had imagined something MUCH different, when the "full overhaul" was touted in the past. I guess I cannot complain, it is SOMETHING DIFFERENT for College Street, and it extends that little stroll district.