Good New Restaurants

Regarding the discussions of Carolina ALE house and lack of outdoor sitting - take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt as I haven't tried to confirm yet - but my friend said that he talked with the manager about that himself when he went there and there are plans to have outdoor sitting. This issue has to do with the gratings and the viability of the sidewalk itself apparently.

Not sure if there are plans to redo the who section of that sidewalk area or just build a wooden deck, but that's what I was told.

On a related note, apparently there were once planted trees in that area as well (before my arrival in Charlotte) and they had to be removed due to a similar issue with the sidewalk and being over the parking garage which may be at the heart of the issue/problem.

Anyway take it for what it is at this point. Hopefully the outdoor seating area will come.

Edited by Urbanity

• 3 weeks later...

Great news! Spoke with the folks at the Ale House tonight. They will putting a patio that seats 145 out where those grates are. According to them, work will start in November. Should add some much needed outdoor activity to the corner.

Off topic: it also appears some retail space is being renovated at the bottom of the BBT building, across from Panera on College. Anyone know what's going on there?

145!!!! Wow! that's just the news I wanted to hear! Get some of those restaurant garage doors and I will be even more estatic. I can't wait to be in Charlotte for thanksgiving to see some of the new retail inventory

Edited by Guest

Great news! Spoke with the folks at the Ale House tonight. They will putting a patio that seats 145 out where those grates are. According to them, work will start in November. Should add some much needed outdoor activity to the corner.

CAH waitress told my party that they will be moving the sculpture over by the grates, then the outdoor seating will go there.

I've had takeout from Elwood's BBQ on 521/Johnston twice now, and the meat is delicious. The pulled pork sandwich and the brisket sandwich were both excellent. The fries are the fattish dark greasy ones like at Five Guys or Matt's, if that's your sort of thing. The hushpuppies are round and pretty average, but I'm no hushpuppy expert.

http://elwoodsbbq.com/preview/

Whaaat? I am shocked by that. The building is still called the Ratcliffe, for crying out loud. Where else would they put it?

Excited about that restaurant though.

Nirvana II Indian Fusion (nothing on the menu seemed very fusion, its straight-up Indian as far as I can tell) opened on Monday on MLK, next to the still-vacant UNO spot. Small weekday lunch-only spot, they have no intention of extending hours. Anyway I thought it was very good, reasonably priced, and the people were friendly. It might become part of my regular lunch rotation.

Great to hear about Nirvana II. Also, American Roadside Burgers and Hasaki Grill have opened in the Ally building. They both seem packed daily at lunchtime.

As for the Ratcliffe sign, Wells seems to be dropping money on things important to the community lately. Maybe they would be willing to relocate the sign to another part of the building, maybe on the pass-through beside the Green. Since the restaurant is gone, the only part bearing the name is the condo portion.

A few more quickies:

Coming Soon:

"Fourth Ward Bread Co." - I'm not 100% on the name because it's been a few weeks since I saw the sign. It's the building across from Dunkin and next to the auto shop on Graham St.

"Picante Mexican Grille" - West Morehead St. next to Burger Co. in Wesley Heights. Small space, I'm hoping its a full-on mexican restaurant though and not a burrito place.

Open:

Nick's Steak and Tap House - Seventh Street Station, former Lavecchia's spot. Haven't heard any mention of it here since it opened.

Already mentioned, but Mizan on 1st st. looks really close to opening. The interior work looks fantastic with lots of marble, dark wood and amber-colored glass. Work continuing in the Emeril's space next door and the Emzy Sushi spot a block up in the DEC.

• 2 weeks later...

I am fiending for Valhalla Pub on Church St. The Mighty Meatball Sandwich with gravy and lingonberry.

I'm not sure this is the most authentic Scandinavian food in the world, but this sandwich never leaves my thoughts...

I haven't been there yet, but I want that sandwich right now. Will have to check it out this weekend.

• 1 month later...

I couldn't find a thread for this, but after watching Eat St. i have a craving for whatever is coming out a food truck. Are there any places in Charlotte that i can find one of these? If so, what are they serving and how is it? If anyone has ever been to Rutgers University and has been to the grease trucks, they know how awesome these trucks can be. Gotta find one.

i have a craving for whatever is coming out a food truck. Are there any places in Charlotte that i can find one of these? If so, what are they serving and how is it?

The Roots food truck is at 3rd & Tryon for lunch mostly Tue-Fri. Great food. Tacos, pitas, soups, pasta, sandwiches. Really good stuff.

http://rootsfarmfood.com/

Edit: Wow, sorry I missed toz's reply.

Edited by grodney

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I ate at Levant tonight on the Levine Avenue of the Arts. Excellent atmosphere - loved the high back chairs. The food was excellent. We split hummus, falafel, and the mixed grill. Though I do think the prices are a bit high for what it is (you can get the same thing at Kabob Grill, from the same owners, for less), the atmosphere is much more "big city" with the backdrop of the jumbotron from the Knight Theater gleaming through the windows, the decor, and the street front access. It's not a strip mall, that's for sure. That being said, we split everything and came out extremely full - no need for two entrees, just split one and a couple starters (which is more typical of Middle Eastern eating anyway). So it didn't break the bank - $50 for food and a couple beers a piece. The folks there are genuine, kind, and accommodating. Oh, and they have Efes Beer from Turkey (I haven't had that since the last time I was...well, in Turkey)!

Overall, excellent addition to uptown. Highly recommended!