Good New Restaurants

Emeril's "e2" restaurant is set to open on January 26th.... It'll seat 125 along with room for 28 on the outdoor patio. Additionally it will have a Chef's foodbar where guests can interact with the chefs who are preparing their food. It also looks they'll emphasize some of Charlotte's local beers at their bar, local food vendors and nearby Johnson & Wales culinary talent.

More info: http://www.emerils.com/newsroom/529/chef-emeril-lagasse-to-open-e2-emeril%E2%80%99s-eatery-on-jan-26/

I just noticed a Groupon for Brazz Steakhouse this morning. I've never heard of it, but apparently it's an upscale Brazilian Rodizio style steakhouse uptown. Anyone been to this place? It's a few bucks cheaper than Chima, but only a few. Seems like it popped up out of nowhere. I'm thinking this is maybe in the spot where Jolina used to be?

http://brazz.co/

• 4 weeks later...

Queen City Q has made it's debut in Uptown. Time to go place it on the Macs/Midwood/Saucemans/Bill Spoons spectrum!

I ate at the Queen City Q last week before one of the Bobcats games. I will have to say, hands down the portions are tough to beat. I got the pulled pork platter with mac n cheese and pork and beans. I thought it was pretty solid. I have to say though Sauceman's might have them beat, but by a hair. The one thing I definitely did appreciate though is their beer selection. On Friday's they have $3 North Carolina brews. So if you're a fan of local brews from NoDa Brewing, Olde Meck, or Four Friends you're in luck. They had some other NC beers like Big Boss and Red Oak as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Two more thumbs up for Queen City Q.

Pork: Excellent meat quality. Flavoring is slightly better than Mac's, not as good as Bill Spoons. Despite being a pork purest (only eastern style will do), I really liked the variety of sauces available on the table.

Sides: Way better than Mac's. Variety of sides makes it better than Spoons. (the 'eastern NC slaw' is not as good as Spoon's)

Beer Selection: Very good (Its been a while since I sat at the bar at Macs). Lots of local beers (including Birdsong IPA which I thought was solid). Half price drafts on Tuesdays!

Overall this may become my uptown favorite -- especially since the menu is broad enough that it should be fine with non-pork eaters (I will never understand _that_ lifestyle choice).

I just noticed a Groupon for Brazz Steakhouse this morning. I've never heard of it, but apparently it's an upscale Brazilian Rodizio style steakhouse uptown. Anyone been to this place? It's a few bucks cheaper than Chima, but only a few. Seems like it popped up out of nowhere. I'm thinking this is maybe in the spot where Jolina used to be?

http://brazz.co/

I tried their lunch buffet this week, it was pretty good.

I was already skeptical before getting dragged to Fitzgeralds, and my experience was not surprising. It's the worst bar I've ever been to in Charlotte, without question. For my personal taste and opinions, there were no redeeming qualities. The dance music even sucked. With as much alcahol as I had, that's an impressive feat.

I was already skeptical before getting dragged to Fitzgeralds, and my experience was not surprising. It's the worst bar I've ever been to in Charlotte, without question. For my personal taste and opinions, there were no redeeming qualities. The dance music even sucked. With as much alcahol as I had, that's an impressive feat.

I can't agree with you more. Fitzgeralds is a huge disappointment and their prices may be the highest I've seen outside of the epicenter. Calling that place "an Irish Pub" is like calling Applebee's "upscale American dining".

So did they manage to make it worse than Buckheads was? Because I think that place formerly held the title of worst uptown bar. We have plenty of GOOD irish pubs (with varying degrees of faithfulness to that term), so its hard to be disappointed about this.

So did they manage to make it worse than Buckheads was? Because I think that place formerly held the title of worst uptown bar. We have plenty of GOOD irish pubs (with varying degrees of faithfulness to that term), so its hard to be disappointed about this.

Just go there and find out. It's pretty terrible. Honestly it's a sham that it's called a "Pub". I guess if anything, the bathrooms are cleaner. But it's basically a poor mans Blackfinn with the same outlandish prices.

• 3 weeks later...

I ate at Picante for lunch, over beside the Burger Company on Morehead. It was....meh...I'm kind of indifferent...

Decent burrito,but the queso was a it bland. But really it just seemed like a Chipotle clone - from the atmosphere to the food itself (though I think Chipotle food is a notch better). I think that Chipotle, Moe's, Qdoba, and Phat Burrito can co-exist and survive because they all offer something a little bit different. When I'm in the mood for a Phat Burrito, Moe's just isn't going to cut it for me. And vice versa. They each have a unique taste and I like different things about each place.

But Picante seemed to just have no soul, and nothing stood out about it at all. No awesome salsa bar, no unique fillers, no unique atmosphere, no free chips with the burrito, etc. etc. Nothing to make me want to come back to Picante in particular next time I'm in the mood for a burrito.

It's too bad, because I'd love to support another local business instead of one of the big chains. But unless they find that "something" that can keep people coming back, I have a feeling that this place won't hang around too long.

I ate at Picante for lunch, over beside the Burger Company on Morehead. It was....meh...I'm kind of indifferent...

Decent burrito,but the queso was a it bland. But really it just seemed like a Chipotle clone - from the atmosphere to the food itself (though I think Chipotle food is a notch better). I think that Chipotle, Moe's, Qdoba, and Phat Burrito can co-exist and survive because they all offer something a little bit different. When I'm in the mood for a Phat Burrito, Moe's just isn't going to cut it for me. And vice versa. They each have a unique taste and I like different things about each place.

But Picante seemed to just have no soul, and nothing stood out about it at all. No awesome salsa bar, no unique fillers, no unique atmosphere, no free chips with the burrito, etc. etc. Nothing to make me want to come back to Picante in particular next time I'm in the mood for a burrito.

It's too bad, because I'd love to support another local business instead of one of the big chains. But unless they find that "something" that can keep people coming back, I have a feeling that this place won't hang around too long.

Yeah...I may end up going since its walking distance from work for me, but the word of mouth from people in the office is not very good, and I kind of don't want to just because they're brazenly committing total brand plagiarism with Chipotle (seriously, look at the logos, menus, and interior aesthetics side by side).

• 2 weeks later...

We had an early dinner at Small's tonight. It was dead, but it was also 5:00 and the staff said that it usually gets crowded around 7. We started with the fried pickles, which were delicious! They make their own pickles, and that unique flavor made the difference. My wife had the ground hangar steak burger with bleu cheese and bacon. She said it was on of the best burgers she had ever had and a possible "best burger in Charlotte" contender. I had a bite and have to agree...the texture reminded me of the burgers from JG Mellon in NYC (which is a must if you visit). I had French onion soup and the Korean Confit wings. The portions of my plates were a little overwhelming. The soup was hearty, full of onions. The wings were monstrous in size, and the unique VERY spicy Asian glaze left a burn in my mouth for a while (and they are very messy, too...ask for extra napkins). The service was great, but then again we were two of only four in the restaurant at the time. The owner greeted us personally a couple times to make sure we were happy. Small's has a nice neighborhood vibe, but is a bit more modern inside than I imagined. Definitely a place we will return!

I inquired with the owner about Elizabeth Fish and Oyster House next door, which will share the kitchen with Small's and is owned by him also. He said it will be open by the end of April, and will focus on fresh seafood flown in daily. They will have a menu that changes daily because of that. The raw bar will be serving 8 kinds of oysters at all times depending on what's available, and they will range from $.75 to $3.00 a piece. I think that's awesome, because I do love to down a few dozen at a time occasionally, but hate the typical price tag of $60 or so to do that. The atmosphere is supposed to be minimalist and casual. A good place to grab a beer and some seafood and watch a game. I am very much looking forward to this place!

• 2 months later...

Lame, that place was so good, though the atmosphere was a little strange and slightly off-putting. Does this put the fate of the adjacent new seafood bar (is it open yet?) in question? Same owners and shared kitchen I believe.

It's not open. I tried to go to Smalls for lunch yesterday (didn't know it was closed at that time) and the inside was filled with boxes just like it was a month ago. Didn't look like any progress was being made.

Maybe once it opens they'll reopen Smalls. They'll then be able to service two restaurants with one kitchen instead of one small restaurant, so the revenue per kitchen employee should increase.

I thought there was a thread about restaurant closings, but I couldn't find it.

Anyway, Smalls on Elizabeth has closed.

Sad to see it go so soon. I loved their burgers.

The owner claims they will reopen in the fall, but I'm skeptical.

Wow, that sucks. I really like that spot! What's strange is that even though Elizabeth Fish and Oyster House isn't open, their website makes it seem like they are open for business. They have a menu, posted hours, and everything. If I came here from out of town (or even from in town), I might go there after seeing the website to only be disappointed.

http://www.elizabethfishandoyster.com/food-drink/

• 3 weeks later...

Enjoyed JJ Red Hots. I could definitely see this place finally breaking the streak for that location. And more importantly, it continues the phenomenal support for local beers: all four of their taps are dedicated to NC brews. Two NoDa, one OMB and one Foothills.

Enjoyed JJ Red Hots. I could definitely see this place finally breaking the streak for that location. And more importantly, it continues the phenomenal support for local beers: all four of their taps are dedicated to NC brews. Two NoDa, one OMB and one Foothills.

I agree. The two hot dogs I got there may have been the best I've ever had...the toppings are phenomenal. They're clearly still working out some kinks with a very young staff, and the take-out window isn't open yet, but yeah I think this place is going to stick around.