Good New Restaurants

Bill Spoons is simply the best eastern-style BBQ in Charlotte.  

I'm a BBQ snob and have never really had much faith in Charlotte BBQ restaurant's ability to deliver. My idea of good BBQ is Lexington BBQ (both style and that actual restaurant). I've heard a lot about Bill Spoons in the paper and in places like this, but never from anyone who's opinion I trusted. Your statement has convinced me to give it a try. I really hope this becomes my local fix for true (and good) NC BBQ (I know there are several styles of NC BBQ, and I like them all).

Edit: Oh, and the idea that a chain restaurant could come close to serving good BBQ is a joke. Everyone's entitled to their opinion...but in the end that opinion says more about the person than the BBQ (meaning you've never had really good NC BBQ or that your taste buds are damaged   :dunno: )

Edited by jednc

• 2 weeks later...

Mellow Mushroom is taking one of the spaces under the Catalyst!!!! This is only the beginning of the wave of retail activity that the Park and Ballpark are going to Spur! Can't wait!

^ That is awesome.  Great location for some really good pizza and as good of a chain restaurant that you'd want near the new parks.  Now we need an Iconic hotdog & brat place at the base of childress kline near the stadium enterance :thumbsup:

Word has it that Tupelo Honey is working on opening up in the former Pewter Rose space.

I love Tupelo Honey in Asheville, but now it appears they're a chain.  Chattanooga, Johnson City, Greenville, Knoxville, and now Charlotte. 

Sigh.  Why is it that Charlotte can't seem to support independent restaurants?  I just got back from a biz trip to Des Moines, a city that's a third the size of Charlotte, and it has fantastic small and interesting restaurants that aren't chains.  I honestly thought that once Johnson and Wales had been around a while, that fact would change.  Even Greenville, SC has more independent restaurant diversity than we do.  

Are Bistro LaBon, The Diamond, Dish, Fern, Intermezzo, Krazy Fish, Lulu's Kitchen, Soul GastoLounge, or Zada Jane's a chain?

Granted, it's a bit odd that many of Charlotte's independent restaurants seem to be fairly concentrated.

Why is it that Charlotte can't seem to support independent restaurants? 

Are Bistro LaBon, The Diamond, Dish, Fern, Intermezzo, Krazy Fish, Lulu's Kitchen, Soul GastoLounge, or Zada Jane's a chain?

Granted, it's a bit odd that many of Charlotte's independent restaurants seem to be fairly concentrated.

Fuel Pizza got started over there too.  

In my view, it's not odd at all.  Plaza Midwood has a lot of space, and the rent is cheap.  

None of those really constitutes what I'm talking about. While Soul's food is good, it's a bar.  I'm talking "finer dining"--like Custom Shop.  Places where the interior design is as interesting as the food, and the wait staff know the menu backwards and forwards--the entire experience. And while there are some new independents in town, they all seem to do the same things: burgers, pizza, and Mexican.  Been there, done that.  It seems that no one is willing to step out of the box and do something--for lack of a better word--fresh.

Edited by Miesian Corners

None of those really constitutes what I'm talking about. While Soul's food is good, it's a bar. I'm talking "finer dining"--like Custom Shop. Places where the interior design is as interesting as the food, and the wait staff know the menu backwards and forwards--the entire experience. And while there are some new independents in town, they all seem to do the same things: burgers, pizza, and Mexican. Been there, done that. It seems that no one is willing to step out of the box and do something--for lack of a better word--fresh.

You just perfectly described 5Church, Carpe Diem, Arias, Roosters, Halcyon and a half dozen of other restaurants.

Edit: How can I forget Fig Tree, one of my all time favorites

Edited by Guest

You just perfectly described 5Church, Carpe Diem, Arias, Roosters, Halcyon and a half dozen of other restaurants.

Edit: How can I forget Fig Tree, one of my all time favorites

And for a city of 750,000, that appears to be all.  Des Moines is far smaller, yet offers up far more than the QC. And again, 5 Church has ok food, but it might as well just become a bar (which is what it is beyond 9 PM, anyway). 

The freshest concept to open in Charlotte of late is a Peruvian fast food joint (Viva Chicken--which is fantastic fast food, btw). 

Edited by Miesian Corners

So every year Charlotte Magazine comes out with its "Best of the Best" of Charlotte Awards.  Well, I've decided to make my OWN list! :thumbsup: Here it is:

Best Pizza- First Place:Intermezzo (Plaza Midwood), 2nd Place:Mellow Mushroom (Myers Park), 3rd Place: Luciano's (SouthEnd), 4th Place: Wolfgang Puck (SouthPark)

Best Greek- First Place:Greek Isles (South End), 2nd Place: Little Village Grill (Uptown), 3rd Place: Greco's (Blakeney), 4th place: Mad Greek (South Blvd)

Best Italian- First Place: Luciano's (South End), 2nd Place:Fontanella's (Matthews) & 3rd Place:Hawthorne's (Elizabeth)

Best Bosnian/Serbian- First Place: Euro Grill(Plaza-Midwood), 2nd Place:Intermezzo (Plaza-Midwood)

Best German- Waldhorn (Pineville)

Best French/European- George's Brasserie (SouthPark) & Bistro La Bon (Plaza-Midwood)

Best Turkish- Troy Mediterranean Grill (Steele Creek)

Best Palestinian/Middle Eastern- La Shish Kabob (East Charlotte) 

Best Lebanese/Middle Eastern- Zeitouni Mediterranean Grill (Ballantyne)

Best Moroccan- Casablanca Cafe (University City)

Best Indian- Bombay Grill(Mooresville), Rajbhog(University City) and Jaipur (South Blvd.)

Best Tapas/Mezze- Soul Gastrolounge(Plaza-Midwood)

Best Mexican- Los Arcos (University City), 1900 (Park Rd.) and Unica (South Blvd)

Best Tex-Mex/SouthWest- Longboard's (Dilworth) & Cabo Fish Taco (NoDa)

Best El Salvadorean/Hondurean- El Pulgarcito (Central Ave.)

Best Colombian- Los Paisas (Pineville)

Best Dominican/Puerto Rican- Punta Cana (South Blvd)

Best Brazilian- Chima Brazilian Steakhouse (Uptown)

Best Argentinian/Uruguayan- Che Gaucho (Woodlawn Rd. area)

Best Peruvian- First Place: Viva Chicken (Elizabeth) 2nd Place:Genaro's (Pineville)

Best Japanese/Sushi- Rusan's (Dilworth), Pisces(Midtown) & Emzy (Uptown)

Best Chinese- Taipei Express (Myers Park) & Baoding (SouthPark)

Best Taiwanese- Taipei Express (Myers Park)

Best Vietnamese- Lang Van (East Charlotte)

Best Thai- Thai House (Pineville)

Best Korean- ChoWan Garden (Independence Blvd)

Best British Pub- Big Ben (SouthEnd)

Best Irish Pub- RiRa's (Uptown)

Best Bread/Bakery- Nova's Bakery (Plaza-Midwood/South Blvd), Sunflour (Elizabeth), Golden Bakery (East Charlotte) 

Best Salad Bar- Crisp (Elizabeth/Dilworth) & Whole Foods(SouthPark)

Best Steakhouse- Beef & Bottle (South Blvd)

Best BBQ/Southern- Mac's Speedshop (South Blvd)

Best Burger- Cowfish (SouthPark), Cowbell (Uptown) & Pinky's (Uptown)

Best Crepes- Crispy Crepe(SouthEnd) 

Best Vegetarian/Vegan- Fern (Plaza-Midwood) & Luna Living Kitchen (SouthEnd)

Best Ice Cream & Frozen Yogurt- Elizabeth Creamery (Elizabeth) 

Best Seafood- Ilios Noche (South Charlotte) & Luciano's (SouthEnd)

Best Organic Options- Luna's Living Kitchen (SouthEnd) & BerryBrook Farms (Dilworth)

Best Desserts- Nova's Bakery (Plaza-Midwood/South Blvd), Amelie's (NoDa), La Patisserie (Mooresville) & Landmark (Central Ave.) 

Best Milkshakes- Pike's (SouthEnd)

Best International Supermarket- Super G Mart(Independence Blvd.) & Cedarland (Central Ave.)

Best Place for Outdoor Seating: Vivace (Midtown)

Best Coffee Hangout - Dean & Deluca (SouthPark), Starbucks (East Blvd.) Common Market (Plaza-Midwood & SouthEnd), & Amelie's (NoDa)

Best Diner- Midnight Diner (SouthEnd) 

Best Brunch- Zada Jane's (Plaza-Midwood) 300 East (East Blvd) & Big View (Ballantyne)

Best New Place- 5 Church, Longboard's, & Luciano's 

Best Grocery Store- Whole Foods

Best Place for Beer/Wine- Common Market (SouthEnd/Plaza Midwood), Threes Tap Room (Uptown)

Best Restaurant "To Be Scene"- Nikko Sushi(SouthEnd), Enso (Uptown), Rusan's (Dilworth) and Vivace (Midtown)

Best Restaurant to see eye candy where you least expect it: Chipotle (South Blvd) **SO SERIOUS**

Edited by Temeteron

Tried out Longboards in Dilworth last night.  Very good Cilantro Lime Mahi tacos.  The tortillas they were served in were very fresh and flakey.  Had to be homemade.  Their house salsas were delicious as well.  I was also happy that they had local brews on draft and had a Triple C IPA with my meal.  Overall a good experience.  They seemed quite busy too so hopefully something finally sticks at this location.

^ They took the tinting off the windows finally which IMO makes a world of difference just walking by. Looks inviting now. 

How did you feel about the price? I heard early reports that it wasn't quite as good as Cabo Fish Taco but charged significantly more, hoping thats not true. 

Ah the window tinting.  That must be it.  My meal was $11.50 for 2 tacos and a side.  I see the same at Cabo is $10.25.  I must not have a refined palate for fish tacos because I like Maverick Rock Taco on Montford and Longboards just as much as any taco I've ever had at Cabo.  I'd definitely recommend checking it out for yourself.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811