Good New Restaurants

Charlotte Restuarant Traffic is reporting Tijuana Flats is returning to Charlotte and will be occupying the old Italian Pie location on East Blvd.  Just went for the first time when I was in Orlando earlier this month and I was a big fan of their food.  I didn't live down here when they closed the first go around in the area.  Any idea why that happened?  Lack of quality control out of state?  Bad locations?

Charlotte Restuarant Traffic is reporting Tijuana Flats is returning to Charlotte and will be occupying the old Italian Pie location on East Blvd.  Just went for the first time when I was in Orlando earlier this month and I was a big fan of their food.  I didn't live down here when they closed the first go around in the area.  Any idea why that happened?  Lack of quality control out of state?  Bad locations?

I don't really think we need Longboards, Cantina, Moes AND Tijuana Flats in a 3 block span. I know they're all somewhat different but that's a lot of Tex Mex. I was hoping to see more of a fine dining place go in that building, since I think East can support it again now.

• 2 weeks later...

How many more (faux) Mexican joints can one city support?  Isn't Cantina directly across the street?

Yes it is, I am not quite sure where that one is going (I think next to firehouse subs) and haven't seen any picture updates on that one in a while (but it definitely is under construction).

Also, if I am not mistaken, I believe that Italian place is right by Mortimer's, I can check tonight.

Edited by Jayvee

• 2 weeks later...

Came across a site plan for the former Vinnie's building. There is some info about the new restaurant its becoming deeper in this thread but I didn't dig it up. Anyway, looks like they are making some significant renovations and adding a bunch of outdoor seating!

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2013/079-089/2013-081%20site%20plan.pdf

Came across a site plan for the former Vinnie's building. There is some info about the new restaurant its becoming deeper in this thread but I didn't dig it up. Anyway, looks like they are making some significant renovations and adding a bunch of outdoor seating!

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2013/079-089/2013-081%20site%20plan.pdf

Nan & Byrons, its gonna be INCREDIBLE.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was recently told that a lease had been signed for a third Char Bar location in the "immediate area" of Park Road Shopping Center but not in the center itself. That leaves me to think possibly in the center across Woodlawn or there is a four story structure under construction across Park. Not sure what that is and if there will be any retail in it or not. This isn't the most exciting announcement but I think it is pretty cool since this is a home grown chain. Char Bar is owned by T&B Concepts which is the parent company of Hickory Tavern. Supposedly they plan on being almost as bullish with this as they have been with Tavern. Aside from this location the are scoping out spots for as many as three others.

The uptown Mellow Mushroom, going in the Catalyst at the corner of Church and MLK, will feature a space theme, and will supposedly be one of their largest locations. Adding on the reports of a wrap-around outdoor patio being built, this is really going to be fantastic for the area. MM locations tend to be very popular and attract a pretty diverse clientele from families to craft beer nerds and business lunches. 

http://charlotterestauranttraffic.com/news/mellow-mushroom-uptown-to-feature-outerspace-decor/#.Uh-SCWR4YeA

Also, in uptown Restaurant News......a Greek place is going in the Epicentre across from Mortimers and La Tagliatella....and Fuji Hibachi is under construction next to Firehouse

Great news, but damn it... Uptown could seriously use some softgoods stores. I feel like Epicentre is becoming an outdoor food court.

What do you mean?? There is revolution!  :yawn:

I actually think thats kind of a cool store (if overpriced) to have uptown, but I am seriously shocked that it has been in business this whole time! I feel you guys on the food court sentiment about Epicentre, and while its cool that its filling up, some of these are going to go under. I think a healthier mix will occur there eventually, because if shopping can survive anywhere uptown right now, its probably there. 

I actually think thats kind of a cool store (if overpriced) to have uptown, but I am seriously shocked that it has been in business this whole time! I feel you guys on the food court sentiment about Epicentre, and while its cool that its filling up, some of these are going to go under. I think a healthier mix will occur there eventually, because if shopping can survive anywhere uptown right now, its probably there. 

True about the shopping. But overall I think there is a great mix of food: italian, greek, asian, subs, deli, bar food. It's a good mix, and at the day, the majority of the traffic going through the epicentre is there to drink or eat.

Went to La Tagliatella last night and it was a great experience.  The food was amazing, meatballs were authentic, the fresh pasta seemed like they rolled the dough and made it specifically for our table.  I enjoyed trying several of their sauces which were all full of diverse yet tasty flavors.  The Torta Rocher for dessert was delicious as well.

The staff and manager were very pleasant.  I loved the decor too.  Talking about places new places in the Epicentre that have staying power I think this is at the top of the list.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

• 5 weeks later...

Ate at Red Ginger last night. It was good, pretty much your typical hibachi grill type of Japanese restaurant. Didn't try any of the sushi - I had the steak/shrimp combo. Portions were maybe a bit less than other hibachi places, so I didn't go home miserably full. This is probably a good thing. The chef was fun, even gave us free shots of sake by squirting it out of a condiment bottle into our mouths. That was certainly different! Though the food was good, it was not as good as other hibachi restaurants I have been to - seemed to lack seasoning. Not a deal breaker, though. We all thought it was good - just maybe not the best. We would go back again given its convenient location to us...don't have to drive to the 'burbs for hibachi at tables anymore.