Good New Restaurants

What is the situation like at Fahrenheit for just visiting for a drink or two? Do you have access to the outside patio with a drink in hand? Level of dress? I have guests in town this weekend and it dawned on me that it could be a cool spot to take them. 

Excellent question. I know the Cleveland one can be quite inviting for a drink or two, and this one appears to be the same way. But would definitely like an answer on it, tomorrow looks like it'll be a nice day to sit up there outside.

What is the situation like at Fahrenheit for just visiting for a drink or two? Do you have access to the outside patio with a drink in hand? Level of dress? I have guests in town this weekend and it dawned on me that it could be a cool spot to take them.

To grab a drink at the bar does not take much. It will be busy but you'll get your drink....to get dinner however you might want to make a reservation.

To grab a drink at the bar does not take much. It will be busy but you'll get your drink....to get dinner however you might want to make a reservation.

What about dress?  I don't always dress in a ball cap and t-shirt, but when I do, I always end up in places where I feel under dressed.

Edited by MilZ

• 3 weeks later...

So I realized I forgot to post my take on Fahrenheit from a few weekends ago...

The food was outstanding in my opinion, especially the appetizers. We ordered a number of them for our table. The Charlotte Nachos, Ahi Tuna Wantons, Chorizo stuffed dates and the chicken spring rolls are what I had. I could have easily just made them my meal. The Carolina Pork Shank was the main course and it was very tender and delicious over all. They had a nice selection of local craft beer (NoDa, Birdsong, OMB, etc). I actually didn't drink beer that night but opted for cocktails... which leads me to one my complaints... That being the prices. Whatever happened to the 7 or 8 bucks for a drink (which I always thought was high, but I could justify it with a good meal)? Now everything is $11-15? Ridiculous. My other complaint was about the service... It was sooo slow and the waitress took forever to figure out how to split our bill because she wasn't "used to the system" they had. Thought they would have covered that in training? Hopefully the service does get better. I realize that's typical a lot of times in new restaurants. 

Those two complaints aside, the views from the bar to uptown were AMAZING and almost make you forget about those things I mentioned. It's one of those places where you could just chill and look at the skyline all night long. Obviously a some great photographic opportunities. 

Edited by wend28

So I realized I forgot to post my take on Fahrenheit from a few weekends ago...

The food was outstanding in my opinion, especially the appetizers. We ordered a number of them for our table. The Charlotte Nachos, Ahi Tuna Wantons, Chorizo stuffed dates and the chicken spring rolls are what I had. I could have easily just made them my meal. The Carolina Pork Shank was the main course and it was very tender and delicious over all. They had a nice selection of local craft beer (NoDa, Birdsong, OMB, etc). I actually didn't drink beer that night but opted for cocktails... which leads me to one my complaints... That being the prices. Whatever happened to the 7 or 8 bucks for a drink (which I always thought was high, but I could justify it with a good meal)? Now everything is $11-15? Ridiculous. My other complaint was about the service... It was sooo slow and the waitress took forever to figure out how to split our bill because she wasn't "used to the system" they had. Thought they would have covered that in training? Hopefully the service does get better. I realize that's typical a lot of times in new restaurants. 

Those two complaints aside, the views from the bar to uptown were AMAZING and almost make you forget about those things I mentioned. It's one of those places where you could just chill and look at the skyline all night long. Obviously a some great photographic opportunities. 

As far as the prices go, while they're high, you need to know what you're getting in to when you go there. It is like going to Capital Grille and being surprised by the pirces. However, I will say, to charge those prices I wish the cocktails we're a little more inventive, like the ones at Halcyon or E2...now THOSE are worth that $10+

As far as the prices go, while they're high, you need to know what you're getting in to when you go there. It is like going to Capital Grille and being surprised by the pirces. However, I will say, to charge those prices I wish the cocktails we're a little more inventive, like the ones at Halcyon or E2...now THOSE are worth that $10+

Fahrenheit, while a solid restaurant, isn't the same as Capital Grille or the Ritz. I expect to pay those prices there. Not to mention I can tell them I want a slightly dirty martini up and they'll do it just right on the first try.  

My wife and I went to Lumiere for her birthday last week and I really can't recommend that place highly enough. I've got a longer review on Yelp, but to summarize: the food was perfect, the decor is really nice and fits the scale of the place, the staff did their job really well, and our dinner of one appetizer, one salad, two entrees, and two glasses of wine was $114 before tip. It's expensive but totally worth the price, in my opinion. It's pretty easily the most special dining experience I've had in Charlotte, although I haven't ever been to Morton's/Ritz/McNinch/etc.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/04/15/3-trade-restaurant-debuts-in-uptown-charlotte.html

Used to be called Threes (horrible name), now has a new (barely) look and new (barely) feel. Called 3 Trade, the bar inside looks nice enough, and it has a good outdoor area, wonder how long this one will last.

I don't remember who brought up the construction work at the former Zucca's Pizza Tavern at Atherton Mill, but it appears that Luna's Living Kitchen relocated into the space. It's a much bigger space for them. I'm told that they've "stepped up" their business with the move, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally made it to "La Tagliatella" with some coworkers today. We were generally pretty happy with it (food was good), but for a Friday lunch hour they were very quiet. Given how much money was put into the upfit, it's hard to see it lasting very long. 

Finally made it to "La Tagliatella" with some coworkers today. We were generally pretty happy with it (food was good), but for a Friday lunch hour they were very quiet. Given how much money was put into the upfit, it's hard to see it lasting very long. 

Yeah its been open for a good amount of time now and it is always dead. Not really sure why, I have only had pleasant experiences there. It's such a nice place will be sad to see it go, but yeah, it won't last too much longer.

The greek place across the way from La Tag (IOS Greek Kitchen) looks like it will be opening VERY soon.

Edited by Jayvee

Yeah its been open for a good amount of time now and it is always dead. Not really sure why, I have only had pleasant experiences there. It's such a nice place will be sad to see it go, but yeah, it won't last too much longer.

The greek place across the way from La Tag (IOS Greek Kitchen) looks like it will be opening VERY soon.

There was actually a pretty scathing review of it in the Observer (sounded like they had more beef with the very concept and feel of the place than the food though), I don't know if that has anything to do with it. The Yelp reviews are not great either.

On an unrelated note, The Summit Room has posted their menu, and it sounds pretty great. I've thought East Blvd needed another nicer restaurant for a while now and this is a perfect fit. Hopefully they'll add brunch, it would be a no-brainer there. http://www.thesummitrm.com/

Has The Summit Room opened yet? Sounds like the kind of place that will fit in perfectly with the Tupelo Honey/Nan & Byron's/Peculiar Rabbit kind of scene that has popped up here recently.

I think they've had some kind of soft opening because I've seen waitstaff at the door, but it doesn't seem like they're officially open yet. 

I dined at the Summit Room tonight.  Hands down, best new restaurant Charlotte has seen in years.  Good service, great local food, and as a BIG plus, it doesn't want to be a bar like Nan & Byron's or 5 Church.  It's a restaurant.  You can actually hear the person you're dining with speak at a normal volume.  BTW, the deviled eggs are f**king awesone!

• Like 1

I dined at the Summit Room tonight.  Hands down, best new restaurant Charlotte has seen in years.  Good service, great local food, and as a BIG plus, it doesn't want to be a bar like Nan & Byron's or 5 Church.  It's a restaurant.  You can actually hear the person you're dining with speak at a normal volume.  BTW, the deviled eggs are f**king awesone!

So is this space split where Mayobird is one portion and Summit Room is the other or is it Mayobird by day and Summit Room by night? Menu looks great! Cant wait for some pics up on Yelp. What'd you have there? 

So is this space split where Mayobird is one portion and Summit Room is the other or is it Mayobird by day and Summit Room by night? Menu looks great! Cant wait for some pics up on Yelp. What'd you have there? 

It's split. What I don't know is if they're utilizing the second floor space, or if they opened up the ceilings, or if that's still just storage. I was told that they did much of the interior with reclaimed wood and tin from a barn. Glad to hear the food was so good, since this seems like a great fit for East. I know I scoffed at the Mayobird concept, but I'm hearing good word of mouth on that too.

Edited by nonillogical

because I am susceptible to peer pressure I took my wife to the Summit Room last night thanks to MC's recommendation. We both really liked it.

Its completely separate from Mayobird (other than the patio) and does not use the upstairs space.

The good:

Bartenders are skilled

Patio is remarkably quiet

The Collards and Cornbread, Pickle Jar, Potato hash and Kale Salad were spectacular

The not so good:

Service was _really_ slow even though it was not packed. (I think I heard that a waiter had called in sick)

The Sweetpotato and Horseradish empanadas -- not a good combination

Desert (Krispy Kreme bread pudding with vanilla ice cream) was genuinely bad (tasted kinda burned?)

Despite some misses on the food we thought it was great and we will be back.

My wife and I checked out the Summit Room last night and really liked it. Inventive, local Southern food in a really cool setting. It's a small place and that's a big reason why it's not loud inside, which is nice. We were told the kitchen doesn't even have a freezer, so everything was really fresh. We got the fries and gravy, crawdad fritters, bbq shrimp, maple brussels, cider kale. Basically sharing a few appetizers. We thought the kale was too acidic, and they took it off our bill without us even asking for that. The corn pudding with the bbq shrimp was spectacular. Service was great and very friendly, and it's decorated really nicely. Definitely a place to go back to.

http://www.ioskitchen.com/

IOS (the new greek place in Epi) is now open, the menu looks pretty standard for a greek place, but I really like their cocktail menu. I am going to get it for lunch tomorrow, so I will post how the food is (being Greek, I have high expectations).

Speaking of cocktails, checked out Sydney's Wine & Martini place (where Therapy used to be) over the weekend. I was less than impressed, the inside was boring, patio was underdeveloped and the martini list could not be more boring. If I am paying $11 for a drink I want something inventive like something you can find at Halcyon or even at IOS. I had high hopes for this place and wish it was more than just a Martini bar and was a full on cocktail lounge. The owner seemed passionate, just wish that passion went into creativity in the drink menu, don't see this place lasting very long.

http://www.ioskitchen.com/

IOS (the new greek place in Epi) is now open, the menu looks pretty standard for a greek place, but I really like their cocktail menu. I am going to get it for lunch tomorrow, so I will post how the food is (being Greek, I have high expectations).

Speaking of cocktails, checked out Sydney's Wine & Martini place (where Therapy used to be) over the weekend. I was less than impressed, the inside was boring, patio was underdeveloped and the martini list could not be more boring. If I am paying $11 for a drink I want something inventive like something you can find at Halcyon or even at IOS. I had high hopes for this place and wish it was more than just a Martini bar and was a full on cocktail lounge. The owner seemed passionate, just wish that passion went into creativity in the drink menu, don't see this place lasting very long.

You're Greek too?! So am I :)  Are you originally from CLT? Do you speak Greek?