Good New Restaurants

Just had IOS, and I must say, it was pretty darn good. a BIT over priced for what it is, but not unreasonable. One great thing is theyre gonna be open til 2 on weekends (maybe even 3 the bartender said), so that will be some great drunk eating late night! Definitely would recommend, they have a pretty great cocktail menu too.

I agree with Jayvee, having just been to IOS for lunch. My sampler was great but at $12 it was a little steep for the amount of food. The space is really well done. It's clean and unpretentious, moderately upscale without making any effort to feel like a club. I LOVE the wraparound garage doors, which were all wide open today. The bar crosses this barrier so you can have a drink outside and many tables break the plane too , making for a certain ambiguity to where the restaurant begins and ends that was actually very appealing and casual. 

I also noticed that Tagliatella had exactly 1 table occupied at 1:15. Not a good sign for them. It looks like they put a lot of work into that interior, but as my boss said "It looks like Cheesecake Factory threw up in there". 

Edited by nonillogical
  • Like 1

I agree with Jayvee, having just been to IOS for lunch. My sampler was great but at $12 it was a little steep for the amount of food. The space is really well done. It's clean and unpretentious, moderately upscale without making any effort to feel like a club. I LOVE the wraparound garage doors, which were all wide open today. The bar crosses this barrier so you can have a drink outside and many tables break the plane too , making for a certain ambiguity to where the restaurant begins and ends that was actually very appealing and casual. 

I also noticed that Tagliatella had exactly 1 table occupied at 1:15. Not a good sign for them. It looks like they put a lot of work into that interior, but as my boss said "It looks like Cheesecake Factory threw up in there". 

Yeah, I don't see La Tag lasting much longer, but I see IOS lasting for the long haul, I see it being very popular, it's a tad expensive, but it certainly was delicious.

Edited by Jayvee

• 2 weeks later...

I had my customers in town for our annual user meeting and I think, though there were some mediocre comments about it at first, Fahrenheit has definitely gotten their act together. Nothing but rave reviews from my customers about the place - some said it was one of the best meals they have ever eaten (this coming from people who live in NYC, LA, Houston, San Francisco, DC, etc.) We hosted a cocktail reception up there because it was in the same building as our conference hotel, the Hyatt Place (which our customers also had rave reviews about their service and I can say the same as their event host for the meeting areas and catering), and that went off without a hitch - people loved trying the local beer on tap and that is about all I saw anyone drinking.

Edited by ScottCLT

Thought I would also weigh in on Fahrenheit. It's a personal favorite as well as a favorite of my company. I went there for my anniversary dinner on Wednesday. Here was our menu:

Appetizer:
Chorizo Stuffed Dates, wrapped in bacon with tomato aioli

Salads:
Buffalo beratta served over fresh sliced tomatoes with a 25-year-aged vinegarette
Fried goat cheese over greens with a cherry chutney, procuitto, and pistachio brittle

Entrees:
Husband: Kobe beef korean short ribs
Myself: T-bone with salsa verde with a side of BBQ carrots

Dessert:
Small chocolate bites that were kind of like candy truffles - favorite was the one with pop rocks! (compliments of the house)
Fahrenheit coffee (alcoholic)

Beverages:
Champagne (compliments of the house)
Sweet Georgia Brown (a NC muddy river rum based drink with pickled peach and habanero)
Russian Donkey (ginger beer, vodka, lime)

Everything was phenomenal. Our reservation was for 8 pm and they sat us by a window with a skyline view. We watched the sun set and it was amazing - amazing enough that skyline photographer Chris Austin was there taking photos for a follow-up on his NBC interview from the night before. The service was impeccable and the food was divine. The t-bone practically melted in my mouth and was so flavorful, and perfectly cooked. My husband's korean ribs fell apart with a touch of a chopstick. Most importantly, the cocktails were generous with the alcohol (I credit beverage manager Andrew Znidarsic - he created their custom cocktails.) The BBQ carrots were not as good as when I had them at the pre-grand-opening, but were still very good. They just could have stood a bit more time on the grill. The appetizer is my favorite menu item. The spicy chorizo combined with the smoky bacon and sweet date makes for this complex palette that leaves you wondering if it really classifies more as appetizer or dessert. In either case, it's addictive.

Dinner took over two hours and after we had paid out we hung out on the patio near the fire pit for a while. No one batted an eye.

http://charlotterestauranttraffic.com/news/texicali-opens-nc-music-factory/#.U4iCbJRdUx0

Had no idea this was coming, or that the Saloon closed. Pretty cool concept and will be a nice addition to the music factory as it seems to add something "new"

That place sounds pretty damn cool. I will definitely check that out once they open. When I read the description I immediately thought of the vortex in little five points ATL.

So Dillinger's Tap Room is closed...

Also some people were picketing outside Fourth Ward Bread this past weekend. The signs said something about going bankrupt and owing money to vendors? I couldn't get a straight answer from the restaurant. Anyone else know anything?

I am not sure why that dude was outside Fourth Ward Bread co, but I do not think it was in relation to them. That place is always busy and seems to be doing quite well, I don't think they're going under.

Someone said that they have not paid rent since opening, but that was rumor - I can't speak to the veracity. I would think that if they have not paid rent by now they would have been long evicted.

Yeah, I hope that is a rumor. I love that place, and they seem to do good business, not sure what the issue could be. That being said, might have to go get a cronut.

I happened to be there the other day when cops showed up and I spoke with owners about the man outside. He was a former vendor when they first opened up. They found 3 hairs in his products (a customer found 1). They stopped using him and he sued for back pay because he said he made the ingredients three months in advance. Who does this?? They already had 2 cases dismissed in court. 

It's obvious this guy has ran out of options and picketing is all he's got.... It's also against the law to solicit customers or to claim a business is "going out of business". Sounds like he may be off his rocker.

Now off for a croissant :-)

• Like 1

I happened to be there the other day when cops showed up and I spoke with owners about the man outside. He was a former vendor when they first opened up. They found 3 hairs in his products (a customer found 1). They stopped using him and he sued for back pay because he said he made the ingredients three months in advance. Who does this?? They already had 2 cases dismissed in court. 

It's obvious this guy has ran out of options and picketing is all he's got.... It's also against the law to solicit customers or to claim a business is "going out of business". Sounds like he may be off his rocker.

Wow that is pretty wild, well screw that guy. I love 4th ward bread co their food is delicious

Thanks for this. It was driving me crazy! I love FWBC so much and don't want it to go away. It's been an instant community-builder.

• 2 weeks later...