Good New Restaurants

What time were you there foxy? I went with two friends Sunday morning as well. The only disappointment was no choice of mimosa. I was sorta looking forward to a pommegranete one. Otherwise, the food was great! Those cream cheese egg rolls are the bomb.

Haha. We were there right after 11, sitting on the platform by the window. We originally drove over about 10:30 and were surprised to find they weren't open yet.

It looks like we were all there on Sunday. :)

• 1 month later...

there is a new resturant on central ave. in plaza midwood called LULU. not to be confused with the now disbanded "lulu's", that used to occupy the corner of the pavillion on south blvd. this place, LULU, is in the house that JIMMY'S DELI once occupied. anyways, i highly recommend this place. i went there wed. night with some friends and had an excellant time. the atmosphere is warm, low-lit, and quaint. it's a pretty intimate space. one of the owners is french eventhough the menu is not... super nice guy. we had appetizers... calamarie was amazing. also, had a roasted goat cheese appetizer that was d_mn near heaven. i had a lobster salad sandwich which was good, but i was distracted by my wife's entree, love letter pasta with salmon... my god.

the price of the menu is comparable to 300 east. also, my friend who told me about the place, had sunday brunch there and said, "it might have just been the best brunch he'd ever had." on an ending note i noticed their health inspection was a 99.something.... very clean.

We ate brunch at Lulu on Sunday. We've been eagerly waiting to go to this place because our dog's name is Lulu :) I really liked the place. Though the food is a little fancy and they have white tablecloths, it still felt very casual inside. The French guy seated us and he was in jeans and a t-shirt. I wouldn't call it the best brunch I've ever had, but it was good. They have a pretty small menu and most of the brunch items are around $8-$10, dinner entrees are mostly $15-$20 but there are sandwiches available also for $8-$10.

there is a new resturant on central ave. in plaza midwood called LULU. not to be confused with the now disbanded "lulu's", that used to occupy the corner of the pavillion on south blvd. this place, LULU, is in the house that JIMMY'S DELI once occupied. anyways, i highly recommend this place. i went there wed. night with some friends and had an excellant time. the atmosphere is warm, low-lit, and quaint. it's a pretty intimate space. one of the owners is french eventhough the menu is not... super nice guy. we had appetizers... calamarie was amazing. also, had a roasted goat cheese appetizer that was d_mn near heaven. i had a lobster salad sandwich which was good, but i was distracted by my wife's entree, love letter pasta with salmon... my god.

the price of the menu is comparable to 300 east. also, my friend who told me about the place, had sunday brunch there and said, "it might have just been the best brunch he'd ever had." on an ending note i noticed their health inspection was a 99.something.... very clean.

Oh I am so glad to hear that! I have been waiting for them to open and see what they were like. We'll have to go check out their brunch now that Creation has stopped theirs :(

Upon reading the advice of fellow up'ers, I tried Lulu's last night. Right on the money! Service was attentive, but not overbearing or stuffy. Food was excellent. The place was packed (a very good sign) and all seemed to be enjoying themselves (especially the drunk couple next to me that proceeded to fill those of us around them in on their sexual exploits...I'm not one to blush, but I certainly did last night).

Thanks to cinco for the recommendation. I will be going back!

Creation stopped their brunch? That is sad. Are they open at all on Sundays now?

They did! I was totally bummed. I sent them an email telling them how much I liked it and urged them to keep doing it. Someone emailed me back and said they believed it was just stopped for the holidays, but I have my doubts. I think they are open in the evenings for dinner on Sunday though.

I did go to brunch on Sunday at Lulu's and liked it alot also. (It didn't surpass Creation's IMO, but it was still very good.) I was surprised by how cute it was inside. I drove past that place all these years before it was Lulu's but had never been inside before and thought it was charming. The lunch/dinner menu looks delicious too, so I'll have to try them for dinner one night.

For brunch I had the creme brulee french toast and apple-smoked bacon. They were very generous with the bacon- 4 large pieces in comparison to Nofo's 2 small strips. The french toast was topped with hot, chopped apples. yummy.

My husband had the eggs florentine with home fries. He devoured the eggs. In his opinion they were perfect and he is very finicky when it comes to poached eggs. The home fries were delicious. I don't know if it was the combo of red & green peppers and onions or some special spices, but I kept stealing them from my hubby ;)

Upon reading the advice of fellow up'ers, I tried Lulu's last night. Right on the money! Service was attentive, but not overbearing or stuffy. Food was excellent. The place was packed (a very good sign) and all seemed to be enjoying themselves (especially the drunk couple next to me that proceeded to fill those of us around them in on their sexual exploits...I'm not one to blush, but I certainly did last night).

Thanks to cinco for the recommendation. I will be going back!

cool. i am glad you liked, miesian. LULU has only been open for a little over month, month1/2... as we all know it takes a little time for a non-chain restaurant to sharpen its blade and carve out its niche... i'd say these guys are off to a pretty good start.

Dolce on Kenilworth and East Blvd. is pretty good. The chef/owners are from Naples (Italy). Nice atmosphere too, plus they have a gelato bar...

i haven't had their food yet... but their gelato is re-occuring event in my household... i love their pistachio gelato. supposedly they get the pastachio paste imported from italia. DIOS MIO!

cool. i am glad you liked, miesian. LULU has only been open for a little over month, month1/2... as we all know it takes a little time for a non-chain restaurant to sharpen its blade and carve out its niche... i'd say these guys are off to a pretty good start.

They are! We went there tonight and they had a full house...very good news. The food was excellent and they had great Belgian trappist ale too. They gave us a complimentary white bean dip of some sort with toasted french bread which was great. We ordered the soup of the day which was fabulous. I love a place that makes good soup. We also had the olive plate and goat cheese for apps. The olives had some sort of orange infusion which was refreshing and the goat cheese was atop a small sweet beet salad. To die for. We had the luluabaisse (sp?) which serves 2 and was a medley of seafood...wonderful! It also came with side salads for each of us, toasted bread, and mashed potatoes. We loved it all and were too stuffed by the end for dessert. Next time we'll have less apps so we can eat dessert. Our waitress was great. Very knowledgable and extremely friendly. I also love how they decorated their bathroom. (I always like to check out how restaurants' bathrooms are.) Lime green with a french motif. I'm interested to see what they do with the space in the back. I think they should get room dividers and create a cozy, coveted and romantic space back there. We'll see. The place is definitely a winner though and I'm glad it's in my 'hood :)

Edited by authenticbeing

I'm tired of all these anti-chain snobs... :)

McComick and Schmicks is wonderful!

Yeah, but living this close to the coast, it's easier to drive to get better seafood. In the time it takes to get a table at M&S, I think the trip to the coast would be faster.

Restaurants I like? Mai and iRestaurant. Both Japanese. Mai is more traditional while iResaurant is more Asian fusion. But the latter is run by Hiroyuki Sakai's former sous chef. :D

Yeah, but living this close to the coast, it's easier to drive to get better seafood. In the time it takes to get a table at M&S, I think the trip to the coast would be faster.

Restaurants I like? Mai and iRestaurant. Both Japanese. Mai is more traditional while iResaurant is more Asian fusion. But the latter is run by Hiroyuki Sakai's former sous chef. :D

I agree, I haven't been to Mai yet, but iResturant is excellent. They also have the best filet I have ever had.

Where is Lulu's? Can't find an address on the web. I know its on Central - but what's the cross street? Thanks!

• 2 months later...

On Friday, we tried Pearl of Elizabeth. It's in the house that was formerly occupied by Ethan's of Elizabeth. It's a new venture by Penny Craver (from Dish) and partner Nikki Eason. It features lots of seafood dishes. My husband and I both enjoyed it. I liked the atmosphere much better than Ethan's. It was way more laid back and not nearly as stuffy. The food and drinks were good too. I had the shrimp with linguine in a lobster sauce and a house salad and both were yummy. My husband had the mussels which were in a saffron tomato broth and he absolutely loved it. They have freshly made bread which I thought tasted great. We asked for a second order so of course I couldn't finish my entree ;) I thought the prices were also very reasonable. I don't think there was anything over $22 and some were $13. They're supposed to be starting brunch soon too, so I'll be interested in seeing how that is.

I just wanted to post about the Corner Place that replaced Schlotsky's on 7th at Pecan since I have actually eaten there now.

It is a deli-style restaurant where you order at the counter; they have mostly sandwiches, but it is bit different because they have some seafood items, like crab cake sandwich, grouper tacos, and calamari steak sandwich. Most of the sanwiches are hot as opposed to the typical cold cuts you find in many delis. The sides offered are potato salad, macaroni salad, slaw, and chips. The sandwiches were good and the prices are low, mostly $5-$7.

I just wanted to post about the Corner Place that replaced Schlotsky's on 7th at Pecan since I have actually eaten there now.

It is a deli-style restaurant where you order at the counter; they have mostly sandwiches, but it is bit different because they have some seafood items, like crab cake sandwich, grouper tacos, and calamari steak sandwich. Most of the sanwiches are hot as opposed to the typical cold cuts you find in many delis. The sides offered are potato salad, macaroni salad, slaw, and chips. The sandwiches were good and the prices are low, mostly $5-$7.

Oh, I've been meaning to go there. I am so happy that something else is there now....my husband does not like Schlotsky's so he would never go there with me. Now that space is filled with something that is now an option for us.