Good New Restaurants

The name of the bar/restaurant going in at the old Hartigans site appears to be "Draught", at least according to the new signage they have put up.

Edit: Looks like they have a website: http://draughtcharlotte.com/

It's the "hey one bar went out of business here, so another one has just GOT to work" mentality. I don't get it. And their website mentions they'll be a top destination for Panthers home games....great so you'll be busy 8 days a year, amazing business model haha

Edited by Jayvee

It's the "hey one bar went out of business here, so another one has just GOT to work" mentality. I don't get it. And their website mentions they'll be a top destination for Panthers home games....great so you'll be busy 8 days a year, amazing business model haha

10 Days*

*hopefully

• Like 1

So that new Tex-Mex place opened at the Music Factory. It is getting BLASTED on urbanspoon so I don't imagine it lasting that long. It's a shame cause the decor looks pretty cool. Apparently they make you pay for chips n salsa.....as a business owner how on EARTH do you have a business plan of "no other Mexican place in town makes you pay for chips n salsa....but we will.....oh and have bad service and apparently lack luster food" and expect to be successful???

I mean the guys behind it are no chumps but apparently they screwed this one up.

Wasn't Hartigan's reason for closing more tied to the particular owners not being able to pay for necessary repairs to the building, or just losing interest? I think it was a pretty successful bar, nothing wrong with the location, so I'm not surprised that another group with deeper pockets is trying it again. I doubt it will have the same lgbt-friendly reputation that Hartigans did but one can hope that they make an effort there. 

So that new Tex-Mex place opened at the Music Factory. It is getting BLASTED on urbanspoon so I don't imagine it lasting that long. It's a shame cause the decor looks pretty cool. Apparently they make you pay for chips n salsa.....as a business owner how on EARTH do you have a business plan of "no other Mexican place in town makes you pay for chips n salsa....but we will.....oh and have bad service and apparently lack luster food" and expect to be successful???

I mean the guys behind it are no chumps but apparently they screwed this one up.

I think the whole paying for chips and salsa thing was what did Longboard's on East in more than the parking. It's definitely what made me not go back.

I think the whole paying for chips and salsa thing was what did Longboard's on East in more than the parking. It's definitely what made me not go back.

Right?? I just don't get how, as a business owner, you could POSSIBLY think that is a good idea.....some of the restaurant/bar owners around here are absolute morons with no long term vision.

What I want to know is, how do these people either a.  get financing or b.  already have more money than I do that they can open this place up.

I must be as dumb as a bag of hammers.

Well I know this particular place (Texicali) was opened by the dudes who did Osso and Blue, and while I am not sure how successful Osso is...Blue is very successful, so you would THINK they would know what they're doing. I guess it just goes to show you may have one concept that works, but that doesn't mean you know how to do everything.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Checked out Pho Plus today, it was PACKED, so kudos to them. The food was okay, good but not great. That could have to do with: it's brand new, it was a massive lunch rush, etc. However, it is certainly lucky it is uptown as I think if it was anywhere else it wouldn't last. There are just WAY too many great vietnamese places in this city for one to be mediocre. Definitely worth checking out though, I'm curious as to what others think.

Grabbed some Pho Plus today. Not happy. Grilled pork vermicelli was ice cold after my 1.5 block walk to the office. No veggies, only shredded lettuce and pasta. Spring roll was ok, as was fish sauce. I was really hoping for a good Pho place Uptown. Big let down.

Aren't vietnamese vermicelli dishes usually served cold? That's how I always get my favorite dish at Lang Van anyway. 

So it appears the old Longboard's on East is now going to be--wait for it--another Mexican restaurant.  How many taco joints can work in a three block section of East Blvd?  Do these people ever hire location analysts or do market research?  Do we really need another Mexican restaurant (for Gringos) in Charlotte?  

So it appears the old Longboard's on East is now going to be--wait for it--another Mexican restaurant.  How many taco joints can work in a three block section of East Blvd?  Do these people ever hire location analysts or do market research?  Do we really need another Mexican restaurant (for Gringos) in Charlotte?  

Darn, I was hoping for another sushi joint in town...

I just want someone to be creative. Cantina, Moe's, Tijuana Flats, and now this place--all within 400 yards of each other.  Somewhere there's a banker who loaned this new restaurant the money to upfit (or some clueless friends, family and/or investors).  I guess due diligence is a thing of the past.

I'm with you on that... There's plenty of creative restaurants in town, but this spot for whatever reason seems to be void of it. This new place will be dead on arrival if they don't have something unique (and tasty).

I thought the same thing at first but Bakersfield is apparently a pretty highly-regarded restaurant in Ohio and it sounds like a much better thought-out concept than Longboards ever was, being more about a quality bar experience with mexican street food. Apparently they keep barrel-aged manhattans on tap! The only place nearby that I know serves anything similar is Soul. So yeah it actually does sound like kind of a unique place. I'm hoping that this difference in focus makes them more viable with the parking difficulties (I roll my eyes every time I have to acknowledge that this is actually considered an issue). 

It looks like they're totally re-doing the windows, and they are completely starting from scratch on the interior, and its all looking like a big improvement. That gives me a good feeling about it considering the effort being given, and with Cantina on the way out I feel like its not really redundant. Moe's and Tijuana Flats 1 block apart from each other is what's redundant. 

I thought the same thing at first but Bakersfield is apparently a pretty highly-regarded restaurant in Ohio and it sounds like a much better thought-out concept than Longboards ever was, being more about a quality bar experience with mexican street food. Apparently they keep barrel-aged manhattans on tap! The only place nearby that I know serves anything similar is Soul. So yeah it actually does sound like kind of a unique place. I'm hoping that this difference in focus makes them more viable with the parking difficulties (I roll my eyes every time I have to acknowledge that this is actually considered an issue). 

It looks like they're totally re-doing the windows, and they are completely starting from scratch on the interior, and its all looking like a big improvement. That gives me a good feeling about it considering the effort being given, and with Cantina on the way out I feel like its not really redundant. Moe's and Tijuana Flats 1 block apart from each other is what's redundant. 

But how will it be unique when it's the second unit of what will become a chain?  The only positive I see here is that they're spending a fortune on the upfit.  At least that will be helpful for what takes its place next year.