Good New Restaurants

But how will it be unique when it's the second unit of what will become a chain?  The only positive I see here is that they're spending a fortune on the upfit.  At least that will be helpful for what takes its place next year.

So its a chain in the same sense that JJ's, Duckworth's, Tupelo Honey Cafe, etc are. I don't think its a significant drawback. Longboards didn't fail because they served tacos, it failed because it was mediocre and recklessly executed (not to mention charging for chips and salsa). These guys seem significantly more put together and I'd have a hard time believing they're completely naive about the difficulties of the space.

^I hope you're right.  To be honest, I'm mostly annoyed that it's to be yet another (gringo) Mexican joint in this town,  I mean, seriously, it's been done to death. 

This is in the same vein as the place at the music factory, Texicali. It's a Taco & Tequila bar (done to death) and it is getting absolutely ripped apart by reviews. Goes back to my earlier conversation....who are these moronic restauranteurs and how do they think they can be successful with a bad (boring/tired) concept and also horrible service/food. 

I hope this comes in and succeeds while Texicali rightfully and mercifully goes under, since the reviews of the Cincinnati Bakersfield location are mostly fantastic. I think its unfair to lump any new place within a very general and popular concept in with the absolute worst of that genre in the city. I don't usually like "gringo" mexican places (I really dislike Cantina actually) but I guess the definite street food bent of this menu has me optimistic. But mostly the barrel-aged manhattans. 

woah, on the topic of SUPER (sarcasm) original concepts. I don't think Charlotte has any of these so this will be great (more sarcasm)!!! High-end sushi place coming to the music factory!! Wow this has got to be a first of its kind in the area right (final piece of sarcasm)???

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/07/23/eight-sushi-asian-kitchen-targets-mid-august.html

In all seriousness though, this place has potential and the theming sounds pretty cool and unique. "The 2,500-square-foot restaurant will incorporate street art and Asian graffiti with an industrial twist in its decor. That means using reclaimed wood accents and industrial-style lighting, with a color palette that features jade, cream, brown and a few red accents."

One problem: "Bennett and Ortiz have teamed with Charlotte restaurateur Alex Myrick on Eight" Myrick is 1 for 3 with Charlotte restuarants, Blue is great but Osso and Texicali are garbage. Hopefull he goes 2 for 4 rather than 1 for 4.

Last thoughts: "The restaurant will seat up to 70 diners indoors and an equal number on its patio." That's a HUGE patio, the place is going in right next to Osso, so they must be building out/using space on the Fountain Plaza.

Edited by Jayvee

• 3 weeks later...

can't say if its good or not but Bakersfield (on East blvd) has been open for private events since Friday. Should be open to the rest of us shortly.

The refit was good, the new wood awnings, garage doors and paint make the building look good from the outside.

I also had the opportunity to eat at Draught the other day for lunch. I had the duck au jus which was on point. It washed down nicely with 2 Birdsong Browns. My only, but very minor, complaint is that there was a fairly weak local representation on the beer list. This, I'm sure will be fixed in time so I'll pipe down about it. But bottom line, I liked the feel of the joint and will definitely be back.

• Like 1

Apparently, as I expected, Bakersfield OTR is amazing. Go try it and support a great new urban restaurant.

I tried it last night and was super impressed. The word trendy gets thrown around with an eye roll a lot, but really didn't Dilworth need a "trendy" bar with "artisan" food and drinks to fill the big gap between the fine dining and casual places? The food is actually really simple but great and more directly authentic Mexican street food than I expected. Although you have to pay for chips and salsa/guac/queso, it makes sense in the more bar-focused context and a la carte nature of the menu. The specialty cocktails are a little expensive but were well worth it, and they have cheap options covered with good specials and a solid beer list. They are offering valet service out of the Berrybrook parking lot, so that's a nice gesture towards calming parking concerns, but the place was packed and I think they'll be fine with or without it. It's amazing how much it livens up that whole block. 

I tried it last night and was super impressed. The word trendy gets thrown around with an eye roll a lot, but really didn't Dilworth need a "trendy" bar with "artisan" food and drinks to fill the big gap between the fine dining and casual places? The food is actually really simple but great and more directly authentic Mexican street food than I expected. Although you have to pay for chips and salsa/guac/queso, it makes sense in the more bar-focused context and a la carte nature of the menu. The specialty cocktails are a little expensive but were well worth it, and they have cheap options covered with good specials and a solid beer list. They are offering valet service out of the Berrybrook parking lot, so that's a nice gesture towards calming parking concerns, but the place was packed and I think they'll be fine with or without it. It's amazing how much it livens up that whole block. 

"More directly authentic Mexican street food" like the stuff Sabor has? Or is it a different kind of menu?

"More directly authentic Mexican street food" like the stuff Sabor has? Or is it a different kind of menu?

You just reminded me I need to try that place. From the looks of that menu Bakersfield is more basic, focusing on only the authentic simple street food, while Sabor clearly has that but also seems to offer a few more Americanized dishes too. Its just closer to what you'd get out of a mexican food truck than anything you'd get out of your average mexican restaurant (not that there's anything wrong with either!)  http://www.bakersfieldotr.com/BakersfieldOTR-2014.pdf

The new sushi & Asian kitchen, Eight, has opened to little to no fanfare at the music factory. If anyone goes there, please report on the food, the regular menu looks very limited, and the sushi menu looks so-so. We will see how long this place lasts, but I imagine we will be posting about it on the Another Restaurant Bites the Dust forum soon enough.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/morning-edition/2014/09/eight-sushi-asian-kitchen-opens-at-n-c-music.html

Edited by Jayvee

• 2 weeks later...

The Rush Espresso Lavazza place in Latta Arcade opened today.  Sorry I have no other info -- just noticed they were open.

I can add that they expect to be open business hours (~7-5) only for now. Typical but disappointing. When I said I only shopped at places which open on weekends for residents they said they have plans to do that. I told them I'd see them then.

Besides the great coffee they had a nice selection of grab and go breakfast items.

Edited by elrodvt