Good New Restaurants

Went to Jason's Deli across from Park Road and was watching the new Flamin' Crawfish from the balcony and started wondering how is was doing since it has been open a couple of weeks now. Reviews on yelp and urban spoon are mixed to poor. Long wait times, constantly running out of menu items, and inattentive servers on numerous reviews. I haven't looked at the menu but some are saying that the dinner prices are pretty high for what you get. Also, I didn't realize that this place is more a Vietnamese restaurant with a Cajun twist instead of just a Cajun joint. They were pretty dead during lunch by the way.

I miss Nom Nom.

Edited by go_vertical

Went to Jason's Deli across from Park Road and was watching the new Flamin' Crawfish from the balcony and started wondering how is was doing since it has been open a couple of weeks now. Reviews on yelp and urban spoon are mixed to poor. Long wait times, constantly running out of menu items, and inattentive servers on numerous reviews. I haven't looked at the menu but some are saying that the dinner prices are pretty high for what you get. Also, I didn't realize that this place is more a Vietnamese restaurant with a Cajun twist instead of just a Cajun joint. They were pretty dead during lunch by the way.

I miss Nom Nom.

Isn't there a "Bad New Restaurants" thread?  :)

Also, I didn't realize that this place is more a Vietnamese restaurant with a Cajun twist instead of just a Cajun joint.

That actually sounds great to me. I liked Nom Nom a lot and was sort of surprised to see it go; it was never busy but I thought they did ok. I just went and read some of the yelp reviews on this new place and some of them are actually encouraging, I might give it a shot.

Isn't there a "Bad New Restaurants" thread?   :)

I didn't see one (unless i missed it) but once I saw your post I went looking through the coffee house. I still didn't see it and stopped when I reached the thread about Doug Smith leaving the Observer. I'll make sure I start an appropriate thread next time.

Just back from Earl's Grocery (with my mom). Between the Cheeseburger (a special, not regular menu item), tacos, potatoes salad, pickles, and cream cheese brownie It was pretty awesome. The only miss was the Kimche Collards. Getting all the various parts of the meal ordered was a little complicated, but other than that, its a very pleasant place to hang out.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the amount of pedestrian traffic on the closed-for-through-traffic section of Elizabeth. This strip is going to be amazing with the streetcar.

On a different subject:

a Vietnamese restaurant with a Cajun twist

WTF? Really?

• 2 weeks later...

Construction/reno has started on Rock Salt, in the old dry cleaners building behind Park Road Shopping Center on the greenway. Apparently they are shooting for a spring opening. Super excited that this is still happening. The menu from the Charlottesville VA location sounds excellent (if pricey, but hey what did you expect). 

http://charlotterestauranttraffic.com/news/rocksalt-shooting-spring-opening/#.VDvjzymwKFE

• 2 weeks later...

So I had no idea this was being built but a new craft beer & "fine food" joint in the Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlotte Uptown is having a grand opening Nov. 6. Their menu actually looks pretty delicious, but its an interesting location and will probably have to rely on federal workers at lunch and hotel guests for business.

https://www.facebook.com/QTavernRestaurant

http://qtavern.com/

Edited by Jayvee

• 2 weeks later...

El Toro is a new Mexican restaurant in the Shops on the Green, Cornelius, exit 28.  It is in a place where many venues have come and gone. I believe this place will be successful as it focuses on food and not drink as the competition is strong for bars around here anyway. I went there the other night and had ceviche which I love and it was excellent with tons of shrimp. I know my ceviche as I lived in Central America.  Also the soft chicken tacos were probably the best I have had. The place reminds me more of a restaurant in Mexico city than one in Loredo.  My friends  also visited and loved the food. The food, atmosphere, and service was really deserving of a mention. I believe this will be the new number one in Cornelius.

• 2 weeks later...

That's it, I'm going to finally try Beef n Bottle. Lived here for 7 years, I guess it's about time. 

Does anyone know what is going on with the newly renovated building at 1500 E 3rd Street?

It looks to have a great patio with an outdoor fireplace. I'm assuming it's going to be a restaurant but can't find any info. 

In the Lake Norman area, LaUnica Mexican ruled for quite a while. They were known to be an outstanding Mexican Restaurant. The relocated and are really packed and as a result, food doesn't get the TLC that if did before.  A new best Mexican has moved into Cornelius (Shops at the Green).  It is EL Toro.  It has seriously good Mexican food and outstanding ceviche.  All other dishes are second to none. Really good, authentic Mexican.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2014/12/12/eatery-7th-now-open-in-charlottes-first-ward-pho.html

Hopefully this place can stay open long enough to take advantage of what will soon be a prime time location in 1st ward. I think the name is decent but the branding is amazing and the decor isnt bad. This is the place replacing Villa Francesca.

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

We TRIED to go to Bakersfield last night. We were told its be a 20 minute wait. An hour later we left and walked over to East Blvd Bar and Grill )-:

The place was packed though. I wasn't very happy with there very miscalculated timing for a table, but it's good to see the place doing well without great parking.