Good New Restaurants

I was at Summit Room Thursday evening. To my astonishment the room was full and a wait of 30 minutes was our option. The room is rather small since it is a former bagel shop. The noise of this packed room is a serious problem for conversation and the room is illuminated by large televisions. All a turn off for me. The space is dominated by the bar. The hostess offered us a table in Mayo Bird room which is the former Caribou Coffee. We had a delightful time. No TV. No noise. One group of women sat at a conversation area at the front of the room sipping wine. They were refugees from the bar. The mussels in OMB beer broth with small tomatoes and other things was just great and lots of small mussels, maybe 30. Tomato soup was thick and a nice starter. Excellent bread. The dessert menu looked outstanding and I wish I could have had room for the galette. Birgit is the pastry/dessert chef. Server Jason was attentive and knowledgeable. Two other servers came by to check on us and appeared unhurried, though we knew the other room was packed. An overall fine experience and a find. The only issue is if they can seat me in Mayo at my request rather than the Room.

I am happy for them that they are so successful on a January Thursday evening. I think this means I advise calling for a reservation.

^ You know, I forgot to mention that, but the TV right above us was playing Diners Driveins and Dives, and the light from it was brighter than the ambient light in the room, so both for content and lighting it WAS pretty off-putting but I guess I got over it. The noise level was significant but as many of my favorite restaurants are on the noisy side it didn't bother me.

Not exactly new, but I checked out the Local Loaf at 7th Street Public Market for lunch. I got the Hot Steak sandwich. Skirt steak, horseradish sauce, cheddar, and arugula on a baguette. Though it was truly delicious, I think it was overpriced. It wasn't a hearty serving by all means and the side of house chips consisted of about 6 potato chips. The chips were also wonderful (I am a big fan of house made chips), but I could have used a few (or a dozen) more. If it were $8 or $9 with a soft drink, I would have been happy. But it was $13 for lunch with a soft drink. That is a bit pricey for a takeout sandwich IMHO. I'm not going to regularly spend that much on lunch every day, and all of the sandwiches there are priced similarly. Keep in mind that going out for lunch or bringing lunch to work is new to me because I just moved away from SouthEnd - I used to live 5 blocks from where I worked, so I always went home for lunch for the last 8 or 9 years until now. Maybe I'm just out of touch.

Not exactly new, but I checked out the Local Loaf at 7th Street Public Market for lunch. I got the Hot Steak sandwich. Skirt steak, horseradish sauce, cheddar, and arugula on a baguette. Though it was truly delicious, I think it was overpriced. It wasn't a hearty serving by all means and the side of house chips consisted of about 6 potato chips. The chips were also wonderful (I am a big fan of house made chips), but I could have used a few (or a dozen) more. If it were $8 or $9 with a soft drink, I would have been happy. But it was $13 for lunch with a soft drink. That is a bit pricey for a takeout sandwich IMHO. I'm not going to regularly spend that much on lunch every day, and all of the sandwiches there are priced similarly. Keep in mind that going out for lunch or bringing lunch to work is new to me because I just moved away from SouthEnd - I used to live 5 blocks from where I worked, so I always went home for lunch for the last 8 or 9 years until now. Maybe I'm just out of touch.

I've had the same thing before and I am going to have to agree. And, southslider,  I don't drink coffee and I understand its farm fresh and whatever other nonsense buzz words they use. It is pricey for the portion size. The sandwich is pretty small for the $$ but I will say, I forgave the price because of how absolutely delicious it is.

Hand-crafted and farm-fresh cost more than pre-packaged and flash-frozen. Maybe reuse that morning coffee travel mug for water at lunch time, instead of paying extra for a mass-dispensed drink.

The serving of chips was ridiculous. I could have dealt with the sandwich being a little small if I had some more chips. It's not like they make those things one chip at a time. I mean, who eats just 6 chips with a sandwich? I'm not exaggerating on the puny size of the side either - it was exactly 6 chips. I will probably still return at some point (I work in SouthEnd - not uptown, so driving/parking is an issue, even though they validate, because I usually am on a tight schedule). But it's tough to justify when Sub Station II in SouthEnd makes a mean Italian sub for $6, freshly sliced. The Italian sub at Local Loaf is $11.

• 2 weeks later...

http://charlotterestauranttraffic.com/italian/le-meridien-evoke-adds-distinctive-personality-to-charlotte-culinary-scene/#.VO-QrlPF_mY

Restaurant traffic gave a good review to the new place in Le Meredian called Evoke. One line caught my eye and made me laugh (and think that restaurant traffic couldnt have less of an ear to the ground).

"....lies Evoke, an appropriately named 90-seat steakhouse with an upscale and chic ambience that Charlotte’s been so desperate for" 

Uhhhhhh I think it's a typo and they meant "that Charlotte has enough of."

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had another great experience at The Improper Pig last night. This place is really solid, even if they do have a gas smoker. The drinks have improved. I had a margaritas with chili-infused tequila and it was seriously one of the best things I have ever drank - but beware, it is SPICY! They had a new pork egg roll which wasn't on the menu yet, but the owner, who has been there and seems to check on every table both times I have been, said it will probably make onto their next menu as a permanent item. I again had the Improper Charcuterie. Perfect once again. Maybe even better than the first time. This place is highly recommended.

I've heard it is good, but every night I've driven by there it has been empty. I'm afraid it may not make it.

I went there often when it was Francesca's. It was casual and affordable. I think that fit that location well. @7th doesn't seem to be what I would consider upscale, but it is definitely more expensive than Francesca's and less casual. Just not sure that concept will work being an outlier in Uptown with very little foot traffic.

I've heard it is good, but every night I've driven by there it has been empty. I'm afraid it may not make it.

I went there often when it was Francesca's. It was casual and affordable. I think that fit that location well. @7th doesn't seem to be what I would consider upscale, but it is definitely more expensive than Francesca's and less casual. Just not sure that concept will work being an outlier in Uptown with very little foot traffic.

Gotta say, it wasn't very good, and some in my group flat out hated it. It was WAY overpriced for very average and bland food. Don't see it lasting long.....prepping to put this in Another one bites the dust thread.

Went to RockSalt for the third time last night.  Although loud, the food and service were both fantastic yet again.  Also, if you want a splurge (and want to be able to hear the people you're dining with), tried Lumiere in MP two weeks ago.  It is excellent.  $45 for four courses--you choose--is a great deal for excellent food, service, and ambiance. Bonus for both restaurants: no TVs anywhere.  

Off topic: sadly, after learning of Jim Noble's signature on the anti LGBT letter to city council, I'll not be setting foot in one of his restaurants again.

Off topic: sadly, after learning of Jim Noble's signature on the anti LGBT letter to city council, I'll not be setting foot in one of his restaurants again.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! crap

I have no problem not going to Rooster's, but I feel like the significant community positives of the King's Kitchen concept probably outweigh the owner's political support falling on the wrong side of this issue.