Good New Restaurants

Made it to Evoke tonight. It was... Alright. The food was very tasty and the atmosphere is very cosmopolitan. But it just didn't seem to gel for me. Maybe it felt like they were trying too hard to justify a fairly expensive menu. On the whole, I guess I felt like I could have a better overall experience for that cost at many other restaurants in Charlotte

• 4 weeks later...

HS kind of ragged The Cellar's food. I need to go try for myself .

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/entertainment/restaurants/helen-schwab-blog/article43204623.html

I've had a lot of the items on her list. Loved the burger, though it was over seasoned, loved the lamb chops, the Waffle cone app was good. The Scallops were impeccably cooked, however the saltiness covered up the natural briny flavor a scallop has. Truffle Fries were only okay. Drinks were great. 

I'm pretty picky about food. But Maybe I went on a better night. 

I've had a lot of the items on her list. Loved the burger, though it was over seasoned, loved the lamb chops, the Waffle cone app was good. The Scallops were impeccably cooked, however the saltiness covered up the natural briny flavor a scallop has. Truffle Fries were only okay. Drinks were great. 

I'm pretty picky about food. But Maybe I went on a better night. 

She's dead on when she says they nail the atmosphere and the drinks. They absolutely do, but I have heard the salty problem a few times. Food can EASILY be fixed, atmosphere cannot. Glad they got that right.

I only had the waffle cone apps and those were some of the best apps I've ever had. The craft cocktails were phenomenal. Along with their selection of beers. I haven't had dinner there yet, so can't comment on that experience. But from everyone I've talked to that has gone there for a full meal, Helen's review was a little surprising. 

BTW, I went to Bubba's for dinner on Fri. Here is the run-down:

Great Eastern Style BBQ (on a scale of one to ten. I give it a 8.5)

but...

HORRIBLE RIBS !!!

I maybe give them a 3 on a scale of one to ten. (I am being generous with the score of three)

On a side note they did have Great Slaw and Potato salad.

A2

just wanted to say I miss A2. Come back!!!!!

Yeah our food wasn't good....way overseasoned, and I'm not very picky. Wow on the 90 health rating quoted by Helen.

Over seasoned is a problem I've had at tons of places in Charlotte, namely 5 Church, mostly 5 church, definitely 5 church.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2015, 12:30:32, nonillogical said:

Persis the Indian restaurant down in Ballantyne? Its actually my favorite Indian food in the area so I count this as great news. We don't have much Indian food on that side of town. 

is this real life?   There are tons of choices on the south side, and (IMO only) way better than Persis.

Chaupatti

Peacock

Hyderabadi Biryani House

Godavari (new one on Elm Ln)  

not to mention Bombay Grille and Blue Taj

5 minutes ago, kickazzz2000 said:

is this real life?   There are tons of choices on the south side, and (IMO only) way better than Persis.

Chaupatti

Peacock

Hyderabadi Biryani House

Godavari (new one on Elm Ln)  

not to mention Bombay Grille and Blue Taj

Hyderabadi is my go to curry house, the saag paneer is to die for. :) And they can make it SPICY 

Copper is pretty good too.  

• 2 weeks later...

Had the distinct honor of doing the chefs tasting at Kindred in Davidson.  Actually tried everything on their menu. I suggest it to  everyone. The seafood was extremely fresh, the hand made pasta was perfect, all the dishes were cooked with so much care. I will probably dream about the duck fat fries and the milk bread. Carbs are the way to my heart. James Beard should take notice.

The new Amalie's uptown is awesome and huge.  I looked around for some beer taps to see what they had, but I didn't find them.  Anyway, there's just lots of comfy seating everywhere, some at tables, some not.  Huge windows into the kitchen.  Check it out.

(My particular ordering and waiting experience at 6:55 this morning was horrible, but I'll chalk that up to maybe their POS was broken, or they're still working out just-opened kinks.)

5 hours ago, grodney said:

The new Amalie's uptown is awesome and huge.  I looked around for some beer taps to see what they had, but I didn't find them.  Anyway, there's just lots of comfy seating everywhere, some at tables, some not.  Huge windows into the kitchen.  Check it out.

(My particular ordering and waiting experience at 6:55 this morning was horrible, but I'll chalk that up to maybe their POS was broken, or they're still working out just-opened kinks.)

I've had slow service 100% of the time I've visited Amelies. 100%. Without fail. I'm skeptical this location will be able to overcome that. I've just sort of accepted it now - if you want to go there, great! Just don't be in a rush, or expect friendly service. 

• Like 1