Good New Restaurants

Oh! almost forgot to mention. After my 3-4 drinks at Cotton Room, I was about to order an uber and decided that Zablong pizza was necessary. At like 12:30 and DAMN it was good! Way too much for me to eat alone, and was ready before I even knew it. 10/10 would eat this pizza again drunk (or split one with someone for lunch if I was in the area)

13 minutes ago, Crown said:

Oh! almost forgot to mention. After my 3-4 drinks at Cotton Room, I was about to order an uber and decided that Zablong pizza was necessary. At like 12:30 and DAMN it was good! Way too much for me to eat alone, and was ready before I even knew it. 10/10 would eat this pizza again drunk (or split one with someone for lunch if I was in the area)

I've been hearing they close too early on weekends...I am surprised they were open after midnight. Perhaps they wised up?

1 hour ago, grodney said:

Zablong facebook says 10pm Fri and Sat.....their web page says 3am.

3 hours ago, Jayvee said:

I've been hearing they close too early on weekends...I am surprised they were open after midnight. Perhaps they wised up?

An infographic: 

EeWQPFX.jpg?1

• Like 4

Just went to TRU Taco.  They said they didn't get open by 11 like normal...opened at 11:15 which is when I got there, and there were 25-30 people in line.  Took 15-20 minutes, although it seemed to speed up greatly after the first several people.  When I left there were another 25-30 people in line.  Tacos were really good, just too expensive for me (because I'm still living in the 90s).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, grodney said:

Just went to TRU Taco.  They said they didn't get open by 11 like normal...opened at 11:15 which is when I got there, and there were 25-30 people in line.  Took 15-20 minutes, although it seemed to speed up greatly after the first several people.  When I left there were another 25-30 people in line.  Tacos were really good, just too expensive for me (because I'm still living in the 90s).

I had a positive experience. Definitely a bit pricey, but the quality is solid.

On another note, Murphy's is excellent and was PACKED before and after the baseball game last night.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope the attention to detail in the food and drinks is better than the attention they put into the spelling in the menu. SOOO many typos! I definitely have high hopes for this place, and I'm optimistic that they'll deliver. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Prodev said:

I hope the attention to detail in the food and drinks is better than the attention they put into the spelling in the menu. SOOO many typos! I definitely have high hopes for this place, and I'm optimistic that they'll deliver. 

Haha, you notice spelling, while I notice Guinness Extra listed at 4.2% abv, which it isn't.  Also, the lack of NoDa beers is conspicuous....I wonder if they are limiting new accounts due to the self-disc cap?  Sorry, probably more appropriate for the beer thread.

The agenda wrote a piece in defense of Comida. I haven't been to the restaurant yet, so  I can't land on either side. But can't really say that Ted presents a super strong argument here. I'm not offended by the price (I actually like littlespoon, and he's right, if I want cheap tacos i'll go to Sabor). But I do have a problem paying those prices if the food isn't actually delicious. If Comida is competing in the Good Food/Soul space, then the quality and tastiness of their dishes has to reflect the price. 

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/49135/comida-is-getting-crushed-on-yelp-with-a-2-6-out-of-5-rating-but-are-yelpers-right/

Edited by Crown

I read the article and thought the exact same thing. While Charlotte might not be in the same ballpark as Charleston, Atlanta or Nashville when it comes to restaurants, we're not lacking options to the extent that we should have to settle for sub-par overpriced food just because it has good atmosphere. There are enough options that satisfy both atmosphere and food, and one of the best being just a block away at Soul. I was a big fan of LittleSpoon, but I have to say the rotating menu items since the original chef left just don't suit my tastes and it breaks my heart that I can't get that burger anymore either, which I thought was the best in Charlotte. They still serve burgers on the weekends, but it's always some random variety of toppings when all I want is that classic burger that's now just a thing of the past. 

" You go to Comida for the experience. "

Translation: Yeah the food is mediocre, but come spend your hard earned dollars and drop $60 for two people to sit in a cool room.

Maybe if I throw some astro-turf up on the wall in my kitchen at home and finally get around to adding Edison bulb lighting, I too can charge $60 for people to come sit in my kitchen while I serve bland tacos. The vibe will be awesome, so just ignore the food. 

Edited by CLT2014

41 minutes ago, grodney said:

Haha, you notice spelling, while I notice Guinness Extra listed at 4.2% abv, which it isn't.  Also, the lack of NoDa beers is conspicuous....I wonder if they are limiting new accounts due to the self-disc cap?  Sorry, probably more appropriate for the beer thread.

Hahaha yeah the menus were typed up hastily to get them out the door for a soft opening while the real ones are still a WIP. 

As far as the beer goes, probably just in who they know and who's distributing to them with good deals. 

And for Guinness I think the regular is 4.2% so I'd be curious to which they actually have. 

The space is so mindblowingly awesome don't let the typos scare you lol. Also they're trying to appeal to everyone, not just rabid beer drinkers. I suspect more people will go here for cocktails than to sip on some wild craft beer. Either way, look at all that character!! 

Edited by Jayvee

21 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

" You go to Comida for the experience. "

Translation: Yeah the food is mediocre, but come spend your hard earned dollars and drop $60 for two people to sit in a cool room.

Maybe if I throw some astro-turf up on the wall in my kitchen at home and finally get around to adding Edison bulb lighting, I too can charge $60 for people to come sit in my kitchen while I serve bland tacos. The vibe will be awesome, so just ignore the food. 

I haven't been yet but everyone I know who has been says the food is actually great, they just are offended by the comically small portions. I don't mind small portions if I'm still getting a filling meal by the end, as in a fixed course menu like at Heirloom, but it sounds like Comida is pushing it for no good reason. A lot of the Yelp reviews, especially the early ones, also mention rude service. I still want to give it a shot but the bad press is keeping me away...might call for a drink and snack test run. The concept is great so I want them to come out of this on top. 

I think its funny Agenda managed to work in another Kid Cashew reference in that article.  How much are they paying for the pub?  

That is now 12 times they have been mentioned in the Agenda.  https://www.charlotteagenda.com/?s=kid+cashew

LOL EDIT: Make that 13 times as there is a new article today with "Charlotte's Hottest Restaurants" and of course Kid Cashew gets a mention

Edited by InSouthPark
  • Like 2