Good New Restaurants

I just got finished eating at a new restaurant called Foskoskies. It is in Luv B's old location on Shamrock in the vicinity of Country Club Heights neighborhood (right by Shamrock Garden Elementary and next to Pike's Pharmacy.) Anyway, they just opened up 2 weeks ago and it was wonderful! On my walk yesterday I noticed their new name on the awning so we decided to go check them out today. They did a great job decorating and definitely have an eye for detail. We started with their Crazy Goat Salad and pretty much licked the plate clean. The greens had crumbled goat cheese, sprouts, sundried cranberries, and toasted pecans. Everything in it was extremely fresh and the house vinaigrette was wonderful too. My husband got a special of the day which was tilapia on a bed of rice with mixed vegetables that consisted of haricots verts, mushrooms, and peppers. The haricots verts picked up the taste of the mushrooms and peppers and were tasty. It also came with a side of bread, which they make in house. I got a toasted cheese with fries. The fries were perfectly seasoned and the bread for the toasted cheese was so fluffy...they may bake that in house, too..not sure. They also have freshly squeezed lemonade which was a bit too sweet for my taste and they do french press coffee which my husband was thrilled about. I thought everything was reasonably priced. That meal came to $30 for the two of us. They said that everyone who works there lives in the neighborhood. Their menu also states that they are trying to offer healthy meals by not cooking with transfats. I'm very glad they are there because it gives the neighborhood a place to eat that's within walking distance.

Oh yeah, on a sidenote...I don't recall seeing it mentioned here yet so if it has been I apologize in advance, but I thought I'd also say that Pearl (in the old Ethan's restaurant) is closed. We noticed that a month or so back. I wasn't shocked because the last few times we were there they were always out of things like wine and such.

Not sure if this counts as a new restaurant, but it was new to me. It's a Japanese restaurant called Musashi Japanese Restaurant, and it is located on Johnston road in Pineville inbetween Park Road extension and 51. It is inside of a small shopping strip with a Food Lion. The food that was served here is more of typical "Homestyle Japanese" and less of Sushi bar fare. They do however serve a small selection of Sushi. They have lunch specials and also Bento Boxes, which is a first for what I have seen in Charlotte. I had the Tempura Udon, which was very hearty and delicious. Served with the thick Udon noodles,a poached egg, Shrimp Tempura, sliced green onion, and fried bean curd (tofu). This is homestyle Japanese cooking at it's best and reminded me a lot of the Homestyle Japanese restaurants I use to frequent when I lived in San Francisco. They also serve soba, ramen, katsu, and other japanese homestyle fare. My Udon was under $7, and I could barely finish it. I definetly recommend this place and I know I will become a regular.

Edited by fulcrumsf

The Catalunya Cafe is a great place I know the owner and work staff and its a nice lil gay owned and run place

Me and a friend tried Cataluya Cafe today for lunch. I ordered the sliced Basil Chicken over rice with Black Beans on the side. The rice was cold (is it suppose to be that way?) and the chicken luke warm but tasty. The black beans were cool, not warm but tasted great. My friend ordered the Pastrami Reuben and a side of Spinach. He was very pleased and couldn't brag enough about the Spinach flavored in garlic. We almost never got refills on our drinks but he finally arrived after we were ready for our ticket. Maybe they were short staffed. There were only 3 people (cook included) that I could see and a steady flow of customers. I'll probably go back for a sandwich next time.

• 2 weeks later...

Just ate at Roosters Wood-Fired Kitchen last night with some work people. The food was spectacular, but was also very pricey as it is located on Morrison Blvd. across from South Park. Definitely a place to go splurge. They serve Spanish, Italian, and French influenced Tapas, and also have some Southern Tapas like Mac N Cheese, Corn, and a couple of others. The Executive Chef is Jim Noble from "Nobles" fame. This is a good place to impress clients in a casual atmosphere. Service was also very good.

Edited by fulcrumsf

Catalunya looks like a cozy place. I think I'll have to check it out if you all reccomend. And those Nutella Crepes look soo good!

http://www.catalunyacafe.com/

I tried this place last week, and the food was good, with the exception of my Chicken, Spinach and Brie Crepe, which kinda tasted like they cooked the Chicken in the same pan as fish. Other then that all the other items were good, and the prices were very modest. The service was friendly but I think they were very unexperienced. We had to ask for silverware, the hummus I ordered never came because the waiter did not write it down, and it took a long time for us to receive our check. The menu is really extensive and I would like to explore it more. I really want to rave about this place, and I hope the service gets better as time goes on. I will give this place another try.

I really want to rave about this place, and I hope the service gets better as time goes on. I will give this place another try.

Same here. I will go back. But my initial visit wasn't too impressive. We practically never got a refill on our drinks (finally came when we were ready for the check), and my white rice (with Basil Chicken) was cold as were the black beans. But, the servers were very nice and that says a lot these days. I'll give it another try in the near future.

This place isn't new, but it's new to me. Rodi in Gastonia. Went last Saturday night with some friends. Not only is the food incredible (sort of Mediterranean/Middle Eastern), but the atmosphere is very hip. There is no place like it in Charlotte (which is a shame). Great food and service as well as great music at the same time in an old high school gymnasium. Who'd a thought such a place existed in 'Stonia?!

I had the grilled salmon with Moroccan spices and a pomegranate glaze served with cous cous and grilled veggies. It was one of the best meals I've had in recent memory. Meanwhile, Lenny Federal played guitar (you might have seen him at the Comet Grill here in Charlotte) and sang (the man is talented!).

• 1 month later...

I've got three new spots --

Daddy's finally opened last weekend on Church and Fifth. I made it there for drinks Friday and for dinner on Saturday. The atmosphere isn't all that spectacular. A lot of TVs, but that's about it -- it would be a good place to watch a game for sure. Surprisingly, it was dead both nights. I don't think everyone knows that it is open yet. The food is pretty good. The menu is a little small, though. There isn't much to choose from. Unless you want a burger, a hot dog, or pasta, you are pretty much out of luck. I got the Bucattini Bolognese pasta and I couldn't have asked for anything better for $7. Everything is priced well. You won't spend much more than that on any entree. I was with a party of eight and almost everyone was pleased with their food (one person didn't know what gnocchi was, and got an unpleasant surprise when she ordered it). If you are in the mood for a cheap but tasty and filling meal downtown, it's a good spot. Nothing to rave about, though.

I also checked out Zio, behind Boston Market on Providence in Myers Park. It's an italian spot serving pizza, pasta, and sandwiches. Nothing fancy, but it's a great choice for lunch. I got the Meatball Parmesan sandwich and it was awesome. I definitely would recommend the roasted potatoes as a companion with a little ranch on the side for dipping. I was with some folks from work, and would have to say that a sandwich is the way to go for lunch -- another guy ordered pasta and the portion was a little slim. All in all, though, this will be a repeat spot for me and my usual lunch companions. Most meals are under $6.

And finally, I had lunch today at Ginbu 401, also on Providence in Myers Park. It's definitely a step above your normal Chinese. I ordered the 401 Spicy Chicken (General Tso's at most restaurants) and it was SPICY! I hate it when Chinese restaurants put a star beside a menu item to indicate that it has some heat, only to find that it has none -- that's not the case here. Also, the chicken was crisp underneath the glaze of sauce. Too often I find my General Tso's soggy at other Chinese restaurants. The one thing that it did have in common with every other Chinese joint in town is that the portions were about enough for two. I think my work crowd and I are going to ditch all the other Chinese joints in the area and make this our regular spot. There is also a Sushi bar, with a pretty extensive menu. My only question is...isn't sushi Japanese?

Just ate at Roosters Wood-Fired Kitchen last night with some work people. The food was spectacular, but was also very pricey as it is located on Morrison Blvd. across from South Park. Definitely a place to go splurge. They serve Spanish, Italian, and French influenced Tapas, and also have some Southern Tapas like Mac N Cheese, Corn, and a couple of others. The Executive Chef is Jim Noble from "Nobles" fame. This is a good place to impress clients in a casual atmosphere. Service was also very good.

Went here as well, shortly after it opened, and thought it was excellent. However, I did not think it was too expensive. The menu is a la carte, so you could rack up a bill, depending on what you get. I had smoked salmon appetizer, a salad, 1/4 chicken and mashed potatoes for $20. Didn't think that was too bad at all--especially when you consider the food-quality and atmosphere. Will definitely re-visit.

Really hoping Noble will venture outside of South Park and open a Roosters uptown--sure he'd make a killing!

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried the new Indian place Saffron down in Arsley? http://www.saffron-cuisine.com/index.htm there's their website and the Observer gave it a favorable review today too.

I've been there one time during the week for lunch. The food was good but I was a little thrown off by the small menu. There were only a handful of choices, so I assume they change the lunch menu regularly. With lunch you get your entree plus your choice of rice OR naan. I can't remember exactly what I got, but I remember thinking it was pretty good and the prices and portion sizes were reasonable. I don't live near there so I'll probably stick with Maharani for my Indian fix.

Has anyone tried the new Indian place Saffron down in Arsley? http://www.saffron-cuisine.com/index.htm there's their website and the Observer gave it a favorable review today too.

You got me excited. There's a Saffron in Charleston that has one of the best Sunday brunches, and I thought it might be the same. But it's not...

I tried Daddy's out for the first time this week. A word of warning -- the 25-cent wings special applies ONLY to the "flavor of the day". The waitress didn't tell me this (even though she knew I was intending to buy the special) and I ended up paying $14 instead of $5 for wings.

Having said that... they were REALLY good and the service for the rest of the night was excellent. ScottCLT's right about the atomosphere; it's as generic of a sports bar as you will see. Great place to see a game, but otherwise it's no different than any other sports-themed restaurant. The dollar drafts are a good deal, and to be honest I think this one might just survive (finally... I was beginning to think the location was on top of an Indian burial ground or something).

The name still makes me think of a gay bar, though.

Hi everyone... I'm a long time lurker, new poster.

I LOVE Ginbu 401- it's my favorite place for delicious, affordable sushi. My kids love the lettuce wraps and edamame.

Has anyone been to Las Ramblas in the old Patou location off of Park Road? It is HANDS DOWN my new favorite place. They serve incredible Spanish food, with a leaning toward Tapas (my mother in law thought I said "Hey, let's try a new TOPLESS place"). The food is beautifully prepared, and very plain - I mean that in the best way possible. It's not covered with sauces, spices, chutneys, coulis, etc. Manchego cheese inbetween two thin slices of eggplant and then quickly fried, traditional Spanish meatballs, and incredible selection of meat and cheeses for a great meat and cheese plate, pork tenderloin with apples... I'm getting hungry, now. The guy that owns it also owns Bonterra's and Mac's. I'm going there on Thursday night AGAIN. It's incredible.

Went here as well, shortly after it opened, and thought it was excellent. However, I did not think it was too expensive. The menu is a la carte, so you could rack up a bill, depending on what you get. I had smoked salmon appetizer, a salad, 1/4 chicken and mashed potatoes for $20. Didn't think that was too bad at all--especially when you consider the food-quality and atmosphere. Will definitely re-visit.

Really hoping Noble will venture outside of South Park and open a Roosters uptown--sure he'd make a killing!

They are adding a new bar in the back of Roosters and a bakery. Keep and eye out for another Roosters in the area around next Christmas but I can't say where. It is not uptown though.

Hi everyone... I'm a long time lurker, new poster.

I LOVE Ginbu 401- it's my favorite place for delicious, affordable sushi. My kids love the lettuce wraps and edamame.

Has anyone been to Las Ramblas in the old Patou location off of Park Road? It is HANDS DOWN my new favorite place. They serve incredible Spanish food, with a leaning toward Tapas (my mother in law thought I said "Hey, let's try a new TOPLESS place"). The food is beautifully prepared, and very plain - I mean that in the best way possible. It's not covered with sauces, spices, chutneys, coulis, etc. Manchego cheese inbetween two thin slices of eggplant and then quickly fried, traditional Spanish meatballs, and incredible selection of meat and cheeses for a great meat and cheese plate, pork tenderloin with apples... I'm getting hungry, now. The guy that owns it also owns Bonterra's and Mac's. I'm going there on Thursday night AGAIN. It's incredible.

When did it open? I drove by a couple months ago and couldn't find it (never went to Patou's old location) This is the place I've been most wanting to try when I'm in town next.

They are adding a new bar in the back of Roosters and a bakery. Keep and eye out for another Roosters in the area around next Christmas but I can't say where. It is not uptown though.

Maybe in Dee Dee's hole? Jim Noble was said to be opening a brand of restuarant there.

I have seen construction vehicles onsite...no wait, that was in 2003!!!

Artlvr- it opened several months ago. It's in the strip mall behind the strip mall with the Old Rheinland Haus (now Fiamma, which I here is also excellend). There's an alterations shop and J Major's Bridal shop right next to Las Ramblas in the strip mall.

Here's a link to the "First Look" that Helen Schwab publishes about new places in the area.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/charlotte/ente...ng/16382802.htm

• 2 weeks later...

I just ate at Rooster's this weekend for Lunch. We had a blast eating at the kitchen bar. The chefs were entertaining and comedic, and the food was exceptional. I opted for the Hangar Steak w/ Fries and my girlfriend got the steak burger and fries (oh wait...I mean Pomme Frites!). Both were great...in fact, she said that the burger even beat out Lulu, which I considered my personal favorite burger in Charlotte. It was about 3:00 in the afternoon when we ate, so the kitchen was slow. So, the chef decided to have some fun with us. When the waiter asked us if we would like salt and pepper, we said "yes" and the chef came over to us and said "man, that's just cruel" and walked away with a sarcastic frown. All in good fun of course. We had a great time with the kitchen entertainment, even though it was slow in the middle of the afternoon. With a couple beers each, the meal was around $60. That may seem like a lot for a hangar steak and a hamburger with a couple drinks apiece, but I think it was worth it.

^ I concur- Roosters is good, even for what they charge. Went there with the significant other last week and we shared the following:

The pork shoulder BBQ, though in an odd form factor (sliced as opposed to pulled) was very tasty - good tangy sauce as well.

Spinach gnocchi were presented well and flavorful, though the cheese/cream sauce was a bit heavier than I would pair with it - halved cherry tomatoes, olive oil, and a generous shaving of reggiano are all any gnocchi need imo (see Il Posto a block away for proper gnocchi)

The sauteed corn appetizer wasn't as caramelized as I was hoping for, but I can see the logic - most people would consider it 'burnt' the way I'd like it - still, the texture was good (the kernels kept their pop) and the corn fresh tasting and sweet.

Dessert - peanut butter chocolate pie - very rich, very dense slice of pie - definitely enough for two people.

They really need to expand the patio seating - we were able to get one of the 3 outside tables - watching the sun set over the mall/new apartments was a relaxing way to spend an hour or so eating dinner.

Edited by nmcheese

• 2 weeks later...

I checked out Customshop last night. It's the new restaurant on Elizabeth (in between Carpe Diem and NoFo on Liz) that has received some rave reviews from the press. Creative Loafing named it the best new restaurant in Charlotte after only being open two weeks. It's a restaurant from Dave Pasternack, who was awarded "Best chef in New York" a couple years back. If I could describe it in one word...WOW!

The atmosphere is unreal for a Charlotte restaurant. Not to say that I think we have a bad dining scene. Quite the contrary, but Customshop has more of a "big city" feel than anywhere else I've eaten. The whole place is basically lit with candles alone, aside from some very dim overhead lights. There are mirrors above the wall sconces to reflect the light of the candles above to your table. The music is not too loud to carry a conversation, but it's not quiet either. And it's mostly cool acoustic/rock music bordering on the poppier side of the indie scene. And this place was happening! The bar was full, and everywhere you looked, people were having a great time over just a bottle of wine and/or dinner.

We were first treated to a gift from the chef, which was toasted flatbread and chickpeas. I also had their bibb lettuce with bleu cheese salad. I had a Wagyu sirloin with fingerling potatoes. My girlfriend had the gnocchi with shrimp. Both were very well presented and tasted delicious. The steak was so tender for a sirloin...Mmmmmm. We also had a side of hash browns. We ended with a cookie platter, featuring an assortment of fresh baked cookies.

The menu was wonderful. It's an a la carte menu, but most of the entrees don't require a side. It's not like Ruth's Chris or Mortons where all you get is a piece of meat. And it's well-priced for the type of meal you get. The most expensive entree is $20. You can easily eat a light but elegant meal for $50/couple by foregoing the salads, sides, and desserts (but we were starving!).

Customshop is small, with only 66 seats, so make a reservation. I did just that 3 days in advance and the earliest I could get was 9:30. Definitely a good date spot. Though it has gotten some press, most people I have talked to have never heard of it, so this would be a great surprise to take a significant other to.

It's a must-eat in Charlotte.