Good New Restaurants

1 minute ago, go_vertical said:

Just a quick question for everyone on here. Can anyone recommend a really good meat and three place? Something down home and old school southern. I'm an OK cook, but can't quite replicate those grandma recipes. Thanks in advance.

This is something that Charlotte is really bad at and I don't understand why.  When I lived in Georgia I would go to meat and threes multiple times a week, in Charlotte I have given up. Here are some places that I thought were OK, but its been a long while since I have been to any of them:

• Mert's (uptown): it will do in a pinch, but I have generally been disappointed with everything I have had there
  • Pressley Park Restaurant: Bfast and lunch only. Tucked into an industrial park off S Tryon near Woodlawn
  • Greystone: Very hit or miss, sometimes decent, sometimes awful. But they do have beer (which is weird)
  • Charlotte Cafe (park road SC)
  • Dish: The hippest option. Generally pretty good although a limited menu (its been a while)
  • Gus' Sir Beef (Monroe and Wendover): Sometimes good, other times it feels like everything is fried

If you are headed up I85 North I highly recommend Southern Lunch in Lexington . They have outstanding cucumbers and onions.

Please let me know if you discover anything!

RIP Simmons, The Cupboard (its now chickfila gooddamnit) and the Coffee Cup (its now just grass).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, go_vertical said:

Just a quick question for everyone on here. Can anyone recommend a really good meat and three place? Something down home and old school southern. I'm an OK cook, but can't quite replicate those grandma recipes. Thanks in advance.

House of Prayer. A few locations have very good food. I forget which one is supposed to be the best - the one on Mint, I believe. Google which one is closest to you. They're all very efficient at packing orders to go if you don't want to eat in a church basement - although it's quite the experience. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

House of Prayer. A few locations have very good food. I forget which one is supposed to be the best - the one on Mint, I believe. Google which one is closest to you. They're all very efficient at packing orders to go if you don't want to eat in a church basement - although it's quite the experience. 

I second this. Mint st is great more often than not.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kermit said:

• Greystone: Very hit or miss, sometimes decent, sometimes awful. But they do have beer (which is weird)

Does Greystone even do meat and three anymore? The last time I was there for lunch they didn’t have it on the menu. The menu on their website doesn’t list anything either. 

http://www.greystonepubclt.com/menu.html

4 minutes ago, hambone931 said:

Does Greystone even do meat and three anymore? The last time I was there for lunch they didn’t have it on the menu. The menu on their website doesn’t list anything either. 

http://www.greystonepubclt.com/menu.html

Might not, its been two years since I have been in and its my neighborhood joint.

IMO Greek meat and threes just don't feel right.

Edited by kermit

On 7/2/2018 at 5:48 PM, kermit said:

This is something that Charlotte is really bad at and I don't understand why.  When I lived in Georgia I would go to meat and threes multiple times a week, in Charlotte I have given up. Here are some places that I thought were OK, but its been a long while since I have been to any of them:

• Mert's (uptown): it will do in a pinch, but I have generally been disappointed with everything I have had there
  • Pressley Park Restaurant: Bfast and lunch only. Tucked into an industrial park off S Tryon near Woodlawn
  • Charlotte Cafe (park road SC)
  • Dish: The hippest option. Generally pretty good although a limited menu (its been a while)
  • Gus' Sir Beef (Monroe and Wendover): Sometimes good, other times it feels like everything is fried

If you are headed up I85 North I highly recommend Southern Lunch in Lexington . They have outstanding cucumbers and onions.

Please let me know if you discover anything!

RIP Simmons, The Cupboard (its now chickfila gooddamnit) and the Coffee Cup (its now just grass).

Cafe South on Arrowwood is good.  The Diamond serves a could meat and two I think until like 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 5:35 PM, KJHburg said:

NY Style Pizza-by-the-slice, and Queen City Grounds coffee/lunch/bar? 
Skyhouse is killing it.

• Like 4

Just now, wilmore said:

If you have a 3 on Yelp, you're not a good restaurant, no matter what your PR firm says. 

I have a former client that has a 1.3 LOL. But they are a food truck that does only Guerilla style, and serve food til they run out. They hype their food hard, and people stand in line for over an hour, and end up not getting served.  I had to cut them lose, cuz they were crazy. Their food was very good though.