Good New Restaurants

22 hours ago, wilmore said:

If you have a 3 on Yelp, you're not a good restaurant, no matter what your PR firm says. 

I think HS! is a perfectly good restaurant. It's a creative spin on classic fish camp style joints, has a nice view of the lake and a funky 50s-Florida vibe. 

I left Yelp years ago because of sheep mentality. I found my restaurant selections got much more interesting. 

7 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

What's everyone's take on Seoul Food? I thought it was mediocre when I went. Just curious

The BBQ menu itself I agree with you there.  The small bites menu they rolled out around the same time they expanded the patio with the wings, tacos, potato spiral and so on are some of my fav late night eats.

3 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

The BBQ menu itself I agree with you there.  The small bites menu they rolled out around the same time they expanded the patio with the wings, tacos, potato spiral and so on are some of my fav late night eats.

The wings are pretty damn good, no doubt. Maybe 10 years in NYC has screwed me for Charlotte "ethnic food"

37 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

What's everyone's take on Seoul Food? I thought it was mediocre when I went. Just curious

The menu can be pretty hit or miss.  I go to this restaurant all of the time, and I have gotten to the point where I usually just order some wings and a taco or the kim bap which are all awesome.  My biggest complaint about this place is that it is usually impossible to get a table.

The issue in the beginning, people thought this was a traditional Korean bbq joint.   Took awhile for them to market that they were more of a southern bbq with Korean twist.  The menu was also very limited in the beginning.  I've had all the meats on the menu except the fried tilapia.  The chicken and pulled pork were okay...the beef rib and crispy pork have been our favorites.  But like others have mentioned...we mainly go for the wings and sides ($1 happy hour sides M-Th btw) pretty good cocktail/asian beer menu too.  The favorite side is the dirty rice drizzled with hot chili oil.  It's definitely turned into a popular hangout spot though esp the back patio bar and the karaoke rooms are popular.  But I prefer Let's Meat if I'm ready to chow down Chima style.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I agree, it's not that good. Live right down the street and never have a thought to go after trying it out a couple times. 

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

The wings are pretty damn good, no doubt. Maybe 10 years in NYC has screwed me for Charlotte "ethnic food"

There's not a separate world  from which different ethnicities of lesser talents come to settle everywhere outside of NYC. Koreans are Koreans, Ethiopians are Ethiopians, etc..... Perhaps the sheer volume of people giving it a shot makes it seem like they're better, but they're all from the same place, doing the same thing in different ways and in different places. I'm sure there is plenty of lackluster ethnic food all over New York.

We all know New York has lots of good things. You don't have to keep putting Charlotte down to remind us.

26 minutes ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

There's not a separate world  from which different ethnicities of lesser talents come to settle everywhere outside of NYC. Koreans are Koreans, Ethiopians are Ethiopians, etc..... Perhaps the sheer volume of people giving it a shot makes it seem like they're better, but they're all from the same place, doing the same thing in different ways and in different places. I'm sure there is plenty of lackluster ethnic food all over New York.

We all know New York has lots of good things. You don't have to keep putting Charlotte down to remind us.

Perhaps I'm just expecting too much from a place called "Seoul Food." Some of the best South American food I've ever had was along Central Avenue, so I'm not trying to disparage Charlotte's food scene, which is growing immensely and for the best. And trust me, the korean food in my neighborhood in Brooklyn is just terrible, so I know theres plenty to hate in the City. My point is, I just don't get the hype, the bbq had the taste/consistency of something that had been boiled instead of braised or smoked, the pork belly was chewy and tasted heavily of sesame oil. The wings were pretty good, but not great. I'm not here to disparage Charlotte, obviously I'm a HUGE Charlotte booster, I wouldn't be contributing here every single day, if i didn't love the hell out of my hometown.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

That's complacent and doesn't drive improvement. Everywhere I've lived could make huge improvements. Those other places we discussed the issues, largely without people getting all upset & defensive. Mystery to me why that is so controversial here. There is the good news thread if that's all you want to hear.

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

And trust me, the korean food in my neighborhood in Brooklyn is just terrible, so I know theres plenty to hate in the City. 

Try Soju Haus in K-Town - going there tonight and heard it was pretty amazing 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DanRNC said:

Try Soju Haus in K-Town - going there tonight and heard it was pretty amazing 

Its very good. You won't be disappointed. I think I've been to 80% of the korean restaurants in K-town. lol

4 hours ago, elrodvt said:

That's complacent and doesn't drive improvement. Everywhere I've lived could make huge improvements. Those other places we discussed the issues, largely without people getting all upset & defensive. Mystery to me why that is so controversial here. There is the good news thread if that's all you want to hear.

I am hardly complacent when it comes to moving this city foreword, but this isn't New York. There's only one New York. We all know it's a remarkable place. Charlotte is moving forward with all the talent and wherewithal that we can muster. The comparisons are pointless.

5 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Perhaps I'm just expecting too much from a place called "Seoul Food." Some of the best South American food I've ever had was along Central Avenue, so I'm not trying to disparage Charlotte's food scene, which is growing immensely and for the best. And trust me, the korean food in my neighborhood in Brooklyn is just terrible, so I know theres plenty to hate in the City. My point is, I just don't get the hype, the bbq had the taste/consistency of something that had been boiled instead of braised or smoked, the pork belly was chewy and tasted heavily of sesame oil. The wings were pretty good, but not great. I'm not here to disparage Charlotte, obviously I'm a HUGE Charlotte booster, I wouldn't be contributing here every single day, if i didn't love the hell out of my hometown.

I live down the street from two great Korean places, there used to be more. There's good food all over this city. I know you love Charlotte. We know you live in NYC. We can strive for more, but don't have to compare all the time. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

I am hardly complacent when it comes to moving this city foreword, but this isn't New York. There's only one New York. We all know it's a remarkable place. Charlotte is moving forward with all the talent and wherewithal that we can muster. The comparisons are pointless.

I live down the street from two great Korean places, there used to be more. There's good food all over this city. I know you love Charlotte. We know you live in NYC. We can strive for more, but don't have to compare all the time. 

Would love to go to those Korean Places!

On 7/30/2018 at 2:12 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

There are no South American restaurants on Central Ave. (Colombian places are in Pineville, Brazilian uptown, Argentinian off Old Pineville Road, and Peruvian mostly other areas throughout). Central is more Mexican and Central American (Salvadorean, Honduran, Etc).  But I do agree that Central Ave has amazing ethnic food. Also there are Ethiopian, Bosnian supermarket, Lebanese supermarket, Greek Diner (Landmark) Greek pizzeria (House of pizza) and much more.  But I also agree that NYC has better options in food. That is just common sense. It’s  like comparing Columbia SC’s food scene with ours. 

Edited by Temeteron