Good New Restaurants

I couldn't agree more. My husband and I ate at Customshop last night and it was incredible. Simple, uncomplicated food. It was not cheap (I am still feeling guilty for the amount of money we spent, but hey - it's not your 11th wedding anniversary every day). I had tuna, he had steak. Everything from the service to the atmosphere to the INCREDIBLE bread putting and chocolate souffle was amazing. I can't wait to go back. And heed the reservation advice.

That, and seeing George Clooney :yahoo: pick between Customshop and Carpe Diem (I think he chose Carpe Diem over Customshop because Customshop was PACKED - not even Clooney could have gotten a seat) made the evening fantastic.

• 2 months later...

In the place former known as Catalunya Cafe there is now a restaurant named "City Dogs". Which you guessed it serves Hot Dogs and a few other items. They are actually the same owners of the previous establishment and for some reason switched their format. It's a shame because I kinda liked Catalunya Cafe. Anywho, the serve Chicago,Carolina, & New York style dogs. They use Vienna Beef, and I have to admit their dogs are quite tasty and true to there form. My only real complaint is there hours. It seems that they only stay open until 3pm I believe, and I think 4pm on Saturdays.

In the place former known as Catalunya Cafe there is now a restaurant named "City Dogs". Which you guessed it serves Hot Dogs and a few other items. They are actually the same owners of the previous establishment and for some reason switched their format. It's a shame because I kinda liked Catalunya Cafe. Anywho, the serve Chicago,Carolina, & New York style dogs. They use Vienna Beef, and I have to admit their dogs are quite tasty and true to there form. My only real complaint is there hours. It seems that they only stay open until 3pm I believe, and I think 4pm on Saturdays.

Amazing. I have no idea how they could possibly stay in business there - hot dogs with such limited hours. How many dogs per hour would they need to sell to pay the lease? My guess - too many.

Thanks for the info! I live in Dilworth and did not know Catalunya was gone. I am surprised they changed concepts as I know many people who loved it but the tapas scene is getting played out in Charlotte. Too many places have opened I think. Although I am not at all sure a glorified hot dog stand will do better. That spot seems to have a curse on it to play host to rapidly rotating restaurants.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried Intermezzo Pizza over on Central at five points - they've done a very nice job inside, though it is a bit on the small side. The pizza isn't the best I've ever had, but it was very good (and I have high standards for 'great' pizza). Wait staff was swamped but nice and kept their composure. They have a decent draft beer selection for their size - didn't look at the wine list.

If the other corners of the intersection would perk up it could be a nice location.

I checked out the Soup Man today for lunch. It was pretty good, but didn't blow my mind or anything. I think it had to do with my selection. You can either get a cup, bowl, or a rice-bowl. The regular cup and bowl come with a piece of bread, fruit, and a chocolate. The rice-bowl comes with fruit and a chocolate. I got beef goulash, because I opted for the rice-bowl and figured that would go the best with rice. It was good, but nothing exceptioonal. And the portion was a quite small for what it cost.

The biggest thing about this place for me was that it was overpriced. A bowl of soup or a rice bowl is $9. And don't get me wrong -- I wouldn't mind paying $9 for a big bowl of fantastic soup. But this didn't taste like $9 soup and it very filling. I will give it another shot, though, and opt for the clam chowder or crab bisque next time.

Oh, and btw -- the location is not where I thought it was. It's inside the Heart Tower on the Mezzanine level. Outside the tower, beside Ri-Ra Sandwich Shop, will be a Port City Java.

Tried Intermezzo Pizza over on Central at five points - they've done a very nice job inside, though it is a bit on the small side. The pizza isn't the best I've ever had, but it was very good (and I have high standards for 'great' pizza). Wait staff was swamped but nice and kept their composure. They have a decent draft beer selection for their size - didn't look at the wine list.

If the other corners of the intersection would perk up it could be a nice location.

I agree the pizza was great. Probably not the best I have had, but I was supper hungry the night I went, and it may have been the best I personally have had in Charlotte. But then again it could have been the fact that I was so hungry. I will definitely have to try it again. I'd like to try some of their Yugoslavian dishes as well.

• 1 month later...

My girlfriend and I split a pizza and the Lamb/Beef burger at Intermezzo today for lunch. Both were quite tasty -- the pizza reminds me of Phil and Tony's in the Arboretum (which has always been a favorite of mine) and the burger was quite different than what I expected. It reminded me of the sausage that you get on a Kabob at a mediterranean restaurant (namely Kabob Grill). Good stuff, though!

Had lunch at the Coffee Cup in University City today. It was PACKED and the food was good (just like the old place). Unfortunatly it was expensive! I think they jacked up all their prices. My vegi plate was $8 and Fried Chicken lunch was $9.

Despite that, the cup is a nice addition to UC.

I too am glad that the Cup is in UC, I think it will do very well in that location. The past two restaurants that were in that spot didn't seem to ever be that busy when I would drive past them and I think that location needed a name like the Coffee Cup to get the people to come out.

Coffee Cup, here I come.... :)

Has anyone been to Las Ramblas in the old Patou location off of Park Road? It is HANDS DOWN my new favorite place. They serve incredible Spanish food, with a leaning toward Tapas (my mother in law thought I said "Hey, let's try a new TOPLESS place"). The food is beautifully prepared, and very plain - I mean that in the best way possible. It's not covered with sauces, spices, chutneys, coulis, etc. Manchego cheese inbetween two thin slices of eggplant and then quickly fried, traditional Spanish meatballs, and incredible selection of meat and cheeses for a great meat and cheese plate, pork tenderloin with apples... I'm getting hungry, now. The guy that owns it also owns Bonterra's and Mac's. I'm going there on Thursday night AGAIN. It's incredible.

I went to Las Ramblas when I was in town this past weekend....I had a completely opposite experience.

First of all, I'm always biased against restaurants in strip centers, but I will admit, the interior atmosphere was better than expected. The service was also good, not great, but no complaints.

The food, however, was a different story. My wife ordered the seafood Paella. She was turned off my the giant prawn with its head still on, but beyond that, she said the rice tasted of the 5-minute variety and she felt queezy all night. I ordered two meat tapas platters to start, one pork and one kobe steak, with the intent of ordering more after I finished those. Both meats were prepard ok, but the yogurt sauce for the pork didn't compliment it well, and the chimichuri sauce for the steak tasted like it had been scooped off the filet table at the fishing pier at Myrtle Beach....it was horrific. I like my wife try it and she felt the exact same.

Instead of ordering additional tapas, we left, and since I was still hungry (small portions) and I didn't want to go through the experiencing of sitting down at another restaurant, I got Burger King drive through and was 100% more satisfied.

I guess GW Fin's is now open in the old Palomino spot. I'm surprised this place opened so quietly -- I heard mention of it a while back, but thought it just fizzled out. I'm surprised I didn't even notice it when I was down on that end of Tryon for Blues, Brews, and BBQ. I usually have an eye for new stores and restaurants opening. It officially opened last Thursday. Looking forward to a review...

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/index.php...view&id=746

I guess GW Fin's is now open in the old Palomino spot. I'm surprised this place opened so quietly -- I heard mention of it a while back, but thought it just fizzled out. I'm surprised I didn't even notice it when I was down on that end of Tryon for Blues, Brews, and BBQ. I usually have an eye for new stores and restaurants opening. It officially opened last Thursday. Looking forward to a review...

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/index.php...view&id=746

Went by to check it out last Thursday night. Beautiful restaurant and I like the way they completely redesigned the place. Bar is now on Tryon and the entrance to the place is from the Plaza, NOT the interior of the office building. The assitant manager told us things were going well and that outdoor seating would be in place this spring (on Tryon and the plaza sides). We didn't eat there (literally just "checking it out"), but were offered a menu to take with us. If you're going, make sure you have lots of room on the Visa card. Everything is ala carte and I would venture to say that an average dinner would be in the $40 per person range (without beverages).

For those that like 131 Main on Ardrey Kell, they are opening a new location in the former French restaurant (can't remember the name) on the corner of East Blvd & Kenilworth.

I've eaten at 131 Main several times and really like it. Great salads, the best sweet tea and the pork chops were as big as a baby's head!

I wonder why the French restaurant didn't make it?

For those that like 131 Main on Ardrey Kell, they are opening a new location in the former French restaurant (can't remember the name) on the corner of East Blvd & Kenilworth...

The space is too big. Even when busy, it looked like it was dead. Bistro's aren't usually 8K sq ft. I wish the new place luck.

As a former resident along East Blvd for 8 years, I think it befell the fate of many of the start-ups on East. Everyone seems to think because the neighborhood is considered semi-rich that ALL restaurants should be high-priced fine dining. Truth is this is a neighborhood and neighborhood dining does far better in most cases than the higher end stuff. Look at 300 East, Cantina, Outback Steakhouse, City Tavern, East Blvd Bar and Grill, etc. They have been around for years, some decades. Just because one lives in an expensive area doesn't mean they want to drop lots of cash with every meal.

Add to that the parking issues that come with Latta Pavilion and you have a tough sell to the average diner, especially a destination diner who has to drive here and either valet or find parking.

For those that like 131 Main on Ardrey Kell, they are opening a new location in the former French restaurant (can't remember the name) on the corner of East Blvd & Kenilworth.

I've eaten at 131 Main several times and really like it. Great salads, the best sweet tea and the pork chops were as big as a baby's head!

It's too bad about Patou not making it. I thought their move to a more prominent location would help them...

Also I thought Patou was simply not very good. I ate there when they were in their old location and did not care to return.

I am excited about 131 Main. Since it is already somewhat known in this area I think it stands a good chance at making it in this new location.

My girlfriend and I had our second anniversary last night and went out to M5 for drinks before heading to Del Frisco's for dinner. I have to say, M5 is a very posh spot. My only complaint is that outside on the patio, the Walgreen's across the street is not really much of a mood-setter. It's like you are in a swanky LA bar, and then you lood to the left and see a neon pharmacy light. That ruins the romance of the place.

As for Del Frisco's, though it isn't exactly "new," I haven't heard anything about it here. We had an extraordinary meal. We started out with the obligatory blue cheese wedge...but it was filled with fresh, tasty bleu cheese crumbles...probably the best I've had. The steaks were the best that either of us have had. Ruth's Chris, Morton's, Sullivan's, etc. couldn't hold their own against this joint. Both of us had a filet, broiled to perfection (the same way that Ruth's Chris does it). It didn't come sizzling with butter, but who cares? It was amazing! The side that we shared was the Chateau potatoes (i.e. mashed potatoes with the skin on with lots of cayenne pepper...awesome!). The staff were very non-pretentious, very laid back, but at the same time -- very attentitive. The manager came over to our table after we finished the bread, warning us kindly of our mistake and guaranteeing us that we would not be able to finish our meal because of it. We had a friendly bet with him that we could, and he bought out desserts as a result (it was so good that it was impossible not to finish it). I had creme brulee and my girlfriend had a butterscotch cheesecake. Both were incredible.

The atmosphere is best characterized as abundant. It's huge. This joint is 2 stories, with most of the place feeling like you are eating under a 40-foot ceiling. There are two bars -- one one on each level.

Bottom line...Love it. Great date place, as long as your girl likes meat and potatoes (mine does, luckily). Even better business place. Morton's has a run for their money.

My girlfriend and I had our second anniversary last night and went out to M5 for drinks before heading to Del Frisco's for dinner. I have to say, M5 is a very posh spot. My only complaint is that outside on the patio, the Walgreen's across the street is not really much of a mood-setter. It's like you are in a swanky LA bar, and then you lood to the left and see a neon pharmacy light. That ruins the romance of the place.

As for Del Frisco's, though it isn't exactly "new," I haven't heard anything about it here. We had an extraordinary meal. We started out with the obligatory blue cheese wedge...but it was filled with fresh, tasty bleu cheese crumbles...probably the best I've had. The steaks were the best that either of us have had. Ruth's Chris, Morton's, Sullivan's, etc. couldn't hold their own against this joint. Both of us had a filet, broiled to perfection (the same way that Ruth's Chris does it). It didn't come sizzling with butter, but who cares? It was amazing! The side that we shared was the Chateau potatoes (i.e. mashed potatoes with the skin on with lots of cayenne pepper...awesome!). The staff were very non-pretentious, very laid back, but at the same time -- very attentitive. The manager came over to our table after we finished the bread, warning us kindly of our mistake and guaranteeing us that we would not be able to finish our meal because of it. We had a friendly bet with him that we could, and he bought out desserts as a result (it was so good that it was impossible not to finish it). I had creme brulee and my girlfriend had a butterscotch cheesecake. Both were incredible.

The atmosphere is best characterized as abundant. It's huge. This joint is 2 stories, with most of the place feeling like you are eating under a 40-foot ceiling. There are two bars -- one one on each level.

Bottom line...Love it. Great date place, as long as your girl likes meat and potatoes (mine does, luckily). Even better business place. Morton's has a run for their money.

Where exactly is Del Frisco's?