Good New Restaurants

5 hours ago, A2. said:

Don’t know if it has been mentioned earlier in this thread, and quite frankly I don’t care.

I had me some Nobles BBQ last night and all I can say is WOW!!!! 

Best Brisket in the QC and could honestly be some of the BEST I HAVE EVER HAD! That place is legit and the vibe they have continued on Freedom is truly awesome! What a wonderful place and to have the food be so freggin’ great makes it all the better! 

ps—-ordered the $88 sampler plate that gives you and your guests an ample sample (you see what I did there, ha)  of all their terrific meats. Fed me and three of my clients with some meat to take home! Awesome sides as well. The Mac and Cheese would make me slap my mama!

NOBLES ROCKS!!!

A2

Nope, too worried about which bathroom to go in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I have been here to their restaurant in downtown Concord and indeed it is great.   Great family story too.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/184952/the-remarkable-story-of-havana-carolina-a-cuban-restaurant-where-two-unc-charlotte-students-keep-their-fathers-dream-alive/

We love Piece of Havana on S Tryon, so I was very excited to read about this today.  Can't wait to get up there and try it.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2019 at 5:27 PM, KJHburg said:

This is good news for me personally but I went  to some of my regional restaurant chains .   Which regional chains would you like to see in the area that we are missing?   I got to visit 3 of my out of town not located in Charlotte favorites on my vacation.  One Louisiana based Raising Canes is all over the south including 1 location in eastern NC but none in this area. https://www.raisingcanes.com/

another favorite that I was surprised to see in Dallas Ft Worth was California based El Pollo Loco which is described as LA Mex as opposed to Tex Mex.  https://www.elpolloloco.com/

Then of course I stopped at another California favorite In N Out Burger http://www.in-n-out.com/

when in Florida I like Pollo Tropical https://www.pollotropical.com/

what places that are regional chains would you like here in Charlotte?   Our 2 best are Bojangles and Cook Out.

IMG_4527.JPG

IMG_4530.JPG

IMG_6059.JPG

I love Pollo Tropical so much that I have contacted them twice about coming here. 

• Like 2

I know it's not the same, but years ago there was a El Pollo Loco down in Greenville SC. It stood out to me because I've always thought that was a west coast only chain. It didn't last long so I'm not sure it was them testing out the region or if it was a copyright infringement kinda thing. It had the same yellow and red sign too. 

Edited by go_vertical
  • Thanks 2

Good restaurant news if you operate a Popeyes Chicken joint.  Driving up North Tryon minding my own business and I see a lane blocked with cars.  I thought has another charter school opened up in this area?  No it was the line to get into the Popeyes parking lot or drive thru or both to get that new spicy Chicken sandwich.  When the newness wears off I will try it at the Hilton Head location later in the month.

One of my friends tried it and she loved it!  My friend then reported same sight but even longer lines at the Popeyes on South Blvd near I-485.  Crazy!

IMG_6731.JPG

• Like 2

North Italia @ Rail Yard had a soft opening today. We received a complimentary meal through Open Table. Appetizer, 2 Entrees and a shared dessert. Drinks were not mentioned but my coffee was comped as well. 

Very nice space, large seating areas, bar, and outdoor patio seating as well. Food was fantastic. I had the Short Rib Hash which was delicious. They have various Pasta, Pizza, Salads and a Brunch menu as well. Good cocktail menu along with wine and local craft beers. 

Highly recommended to check out once they open on the 13th  

• Like 4

On 11/10/2019 at 3:33 PM, Matthew.Brendan said:

North Italia @ Rail Yard had a soft opening today. We received a complimentary meal through Open Table. Appetizer, 2 Entrees and a shared dessert. Drinks were not mentioned but my coffee was comped as well. 

Very nice space, large seating areas, bar, and outdoor patio seating as well. Food was fantastic. I had the Short Rib Hash which was delicious. They have various Pasta, Pizza, Salads and a Brunch menu as well. Good cocktail menu along with wine and local craft beers. 

Highly recommended to check out once they open on the 13th  

Ate there tonight after the horrible Panthers game. Thought the atmosphere, service, and food were absolutely outstanding. 

• Like 2

Went to Link & Pin’s soft opening for brunch this past Sunday.   Menu reads like an upscale Duckworth’s (same ownership group), and food was good, but pricey for what it is.  A very compact 3-egg omelette with tomato and cheese was $11.50.  Service was good, especially considering it was their first run.  Decor is a mix between Carpe Diem and Cheesecake Factory, if you can envision.  Was ok,  but nothing that would compel us to return, especially considering the prices for many items. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, turbocraig said:

Went to Link & Pin’s soft opening for brunch this past Sunday.   Menu reads like an upscale Duckworth’s (same ownership group), and food was good, but pricey for what it is.  A very compact 3-egg omelette with tomato and cheese was $11.50.  Service was good, especially considering it was their first run.  Decor is a mix between Carpe Diem and Cheesecake Factory, if you can envision.  Was ok,  but nothing that would compel us to return, especially considering the prices for many items. 

I didn’t think the prices were any different than any other higher end offering in South End. That’s just kinda life in the area now. The Chicken and waffles are my favorite in town. Decor is pretty great in that it’s nothing like anything else and it’s nice to have a true all day restaurant in South End. 

13 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

I didn’t think the prices were any different than any other higher end offering in South End. That’s just kinda life in the area now. The Chicken and waffles are my favorite in town. Decor is pretty great in that it’s nothing like anything else and it’s nice to have a true all day restaurant in South End. 

Did the soft opening as well and thought food was good and large enough portions at brunch to warrant $12-15 per plate.  Overall liked the vibe of the place and live close enough to walk/scoot there it is a nice added option to the neighborhood.  But the Cheesecake Factory decor comment did make me lol didn't think of that at the time but I can kind of see it

• Like 1

Imma leave this right here...  

I didn’t think it was a bad restaurant at all.  We aren’t meat eaters, so we couldn’t try as many things as others, so I’m sure they have stand outs to offer.   Everyone at our table commented on the omelette.  I hope it succeeds because we need activity in these new developments.  

8DF54B1D-5327-43FB-86F2-523ED1E98038.jpeg

• Like 1

I went to Link and Pin for the soft opening and while everything was good, nothing was great.  The music was too loud.  I had the chicken and waffles and was a little underwhelmed based on other reviews (but the bourbon syrup was tasty).  Poutine was good.  Cocktails were stiff.  Thought the décor was nice.  Service was good.   Steak prices were just a hair under Del Friscos but didn't try one. I think it serves a niche in the South End area, it isn't however a "home run" like the Cellar is uptown (which is going strong still). 

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody have any opinions on Optimist Hall and its tenants? My wife and I have tried Papi Queso, Bao and Broth, and the Dumpling Lady and they've all been pretty good. Optimist Hall could use more seating though, especially as more restaurants open. 

In other new restaurant news, I also like the recently-opened Taco Mama in Dilworth. The food is decent and at $8 for a burrito, chips, and queso it's a solid value.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vitamin_N said:

Anybody have any opinions on Optimist Hall and its tenants? My wife and I have tried Papi Queso, Bao and Broth, and the Dumpling Lady and they've all been pretty good. Optimist Hall could use more seating though, especially as more restaurants open. 

In other new restaurant news, I also like the recently-opened Taco Mama in Dilworth. The food is decent and at $8 for a burrito, chips, and queso it's a solid value.

We love going to Optimist Hall because the food is good and it's perfect for our toddlers to run around. The sushi place and the pizza place are good, besides the ones your mentioned. Haven't been to El Thrifty yet, but Optimist Hall has become one of our go-tos for a meal out with the kids. It's always pretty packed when we're there too.

22 minutes ago, Vitamin_N said:

I love Optimist as a concept and I love the space. Here’s my good and bad

The Good:

• mix of food
  • papi queso
  • dumpling lady (taste)
  • Ava
  • Undercurrent
  • Honeysuckle
  • Village juice
  • Spindle bar (cocktails)
  • The space itself
  • El thrifty (the space)
  • Velvet taco

The bad

• paying 25% or more for everything
  • Dumpling lady (value, you get less dumplings for more money than the truck)
  • Spindle bar (value, $10 for a fonta draft??? No)
  • El thrifty (food)
  • Seating
  • Bao & broth

Overall I believe optimist will continue to get better and continue to improve. The biggest issue I have other than seating is everything is wayyyyyy too damn expensive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My wife and I are taking my parents out on Christmas Eve for dinner and we're trying to decide on a restaurant.  We're looking for something pretty high-end - Italian, steaks/seafood, or upscale Southern food would fit the bill.  We want it to be a pretty special experience.  Does anyone have suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

My wife and I are taking my parents out on Christmas Eve for dinner and we're trying to decide on a restaurant.  We're looking for something pretty high-end - Italian, steaks/seafood, or upscale Southern food would fit the bill.  We want it to be a pretty special experience.  Does anyone have suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

Doesn’t fit any of these criteria but Bardo on Mint St. is amazing and high end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, cltheel.sdl said:

Our go to spot for out of town guests is Halcyon at the Mint Museum Uptown -- the food is amazing and the setting makes it easy to show off Charlotte.

23 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Doesn’t fit any of these criteria but Bardo on Mint St. is amazing and high end.

Bardo is great, no doubt, but the seating is pretty limited.

• Like 1