Good New Restaurants

52 minutes ago, cltheel.sdl said:

My wife and I are taking my parents out on Christmas Eve for dinner and we're trying to decide on a restaurant.  We're looking for something pretty high-end - Italian, steaks/seafood, or upscale Southern food would fit the bill.  We want it to be a pretty special experience.  Does anyone have suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

I still can’t believe I haven’t been there yet, but Angeline’s at the Kimpton sounds like it checks most of your boxes.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cltheel.sdl said:

My wife and I are taking my parents out on Christmas Eve for dinner and we're trying to decide on a restaurant.  We're looking for something pretty high-end - Italian, steaks/seafood, or upscale Southern food would fit the bill.  We want it to be a pretty special experience.  Does anyone have suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

Check out Eddie V’s and Essex.  You can find their menus online.  I also love Luciano’s and Barcelona 

For all the hype Jim Nobel’s joints receive here, I gotta say that this is not an unfair review of Bossy Beulah’s

https://www.inside485.com/post/bossy-beulah-charlotte-review

(I really like his cooking, but his food comes with baggage, OTOH he also contributes to the community in other substantial ways such as King’s Kitchen)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, kermit said:

For all the hype Jim Nobel’s joints receive here, I gotta say that this is not an unfair review of Bossy Beulah’s

(I really like his cooking, but he definitely  has some baggage)

I have not been there yet but any boycott of Noble Smoke is backfiring as I can barely get in the place even at lunch. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

On 12/9/2019 at 9:34 PM, KJHburg said:

I have not been there yet but any boycott of Noble Smoke is backfiring as I can barely get in the place even at lunch. 

Forget the politics - Jim Noble should be shunned for charging $4 for that bland-ass white slaw.  The pork was good, not great, and our brisket was dry. Dry, dry, dry.  For what they're charging it needs to be perfect every time. Only one visit so far but on everything but ambiance and beer selection they are outclassed by Sweet Lew's. 

Edit: I started thinking about that awful slaw and can't stop now. Honestly, has he ever HAD slaw at an eastern NC joint? He has pictures all around like he's been there, but cabbage shreds swimming in Duke's mayo is not it.  He needs to go back to B's, Jack Cobb, or Skylight and then come back and try again. 

Edited by slipperypete
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/9/2019 at 9:09 PM, kermit said:

(I really like his cooking, but his food comes with baggage, OTOH he also contributes to the community in other substantial ways such as King’s Kitchen)

I must say, this site has been FAR better thus far than Dion's work at the Agenda...maybe all the terrible takes can just be blamed on Ted after all

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Deluxe, The Fine Art of Dining has moved into the former Loft & Cellar location. 

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article238286458.html

And also doesn’t know how to spell Dining on their Instagram. So that’s cool lol. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

Deluxe, The Fine Art of Dining has moved into the former Loft & Cellar location. 

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/whats-in-store/article238286458.html

My friend and I glanced at their menu.  It looks ridiculous.  They have everything from Greek, Eastern European  to Japanese and then Jalapeño Poppers.  Then we look at the pictures and the dishes look extremely pretentious.  There is so much potential with this spot but so far it’s a hot mess

Edited by Temeteron

8 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

My friend and I glanced at their menu.  It looks ridiculous.  They have everything from Greek, Eastern European  to Japanese and then Jalapeño Poppers.  Then we look at the pictures and the dishes look extremely pretentious.  There is so much potential with this spot but so far it’s a hot mess

I think I said something similar about Essex when they first opened, but they did eventually find their footing. 

2 hours ago, davidclt said:

They badly need an editor for their site.

Good lord, someone take this thing behind the barn and put it out of its misery.

Baby showers

Updated: May 22

Pregnancy is most magical time in a life of woman and her family. You should enjoy your time and Deluxe Events will take care about everything to make your baby shower unforgettable.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CLT2014 said:

To be fair, the owners are immigrants from Eurasia and English is not their first language.  They've tried to create a small business and get their piece of the American dream. Most of us have probably not taken the risk to be small business owners / entrepreneurs, but often immmigrants can't get a traditional job at Bank of America due to language barriers and find their way in this nation as small business owners. 

Should they get professional help to make their website if English is not their first language? -> yes. Will having a restaurant in Uptown likely fail? -> probably. Will their design aesthetic appeal to an American audience? -> largely no. Do we need to be cruel to two immigrants trying their best to make it in America? -> no. 

I don't mean to be cruel and I hope they're successful. It seems like they might have more success on their catering side than a restaurant, but hopefully they can keep going in their new location.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

To be fair, the owners are immigrants from Eurasia and English is not their first language.  They've tried to create a small business and get their piece of the American dream. Most of us have probably not taken the risk to be small business owners / entrepreneurs, but often immmigrants can't get a traditional job at Bank of America due to language barriers and they find their way in this nation as small business owners. 

Should they get professional help to make their website if English is not their first language? -> yes. Will having a restaurant in Uptown likely fail? -> probably. Will their design aesthetic appeal to an American audience? -> largely no. Do we need to be cruel to two immigrants trying their best to make it in America? -> no. 

Ugh.  Thanks for making me feel bad.

• Like 1

Finally tried North Italia and was sorely disappointed. It took 40 min to get salads (which were great) and a pizza (which had an awful crust, but good toppings). 25min later the mains came and 1 of the 3 was wrong, and the Pasta I had (Signature Bolognese) was cooked to the point you didn't need to chew it just turned to mush.  The other pasta dish was way overcooked as well. It was also half empty on a Sunday night but if you tried to make a reservation via open table or phone it said nothing was available till 9pm. Every place gets two initial tries but wow was the first one a doozy.

Indaco had some teething issues but overall food quality was far better.

8 hours ago, CLT> said:

Finally tried North Italia and was sorely disappointed. It took 40 min to get salads (which were great) and a pizza (which had an awful crust, but good toppings). 25min later the mains came and 1 of the 3 was wrong, and the Pasta I had (Signature Bolognese) was cooked to the point you didn't need to chew it just turned to mush.  The other pasta dish was way overcooked as well. It was also half empty on a Sunday night but if you tried to make a reservation via open table or phone it said nothing was available till 9pm. Every place gets two initial tries but wow was the first one a doozy.

Indaco had some teething issues but overall food quality was far better.

It's fascinating to me the different experiences people can have. I really enjoyed north and we had stellar service and the food came out pronto. I'd recommend giving it another go. 

Indaco is superior tho

22 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

To be fair, the owners are immigrants from Eurasia and English is not their first language.  They've tried to create a small business and get their piece of the American dream. Most of us have probably not taken the risk to be small business owners / entrepreneurs, but often immmigrants can't get a traditional job at Bank of America due to language barriers and they find their way in this nation as small business owners. 

I know multinational immigrants whose english was not their first language. I know their first job in the United States was for BOA. They excelled in their position and are in upper management.

Just because you don't know english 100%, doesn't make you unqualified. 

I don't know your IT background, but having a translator in a website is easy to create. 

Also, there are many multinational restaurants in Seattle that have Caucasian visitors and thrive of off them.  They are not going bankrupt anytime soon.  

The United States is a melting pot, from its foundings when Europe concord the Natives of the new world. I appreciate your last question and answer, but everything before is based off on prejudices makes immigrants look inferior.