Good New Restaurants

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, kermit said:

I went to Callie's Biscuit this morning about 30 minutes after their 10am open. It was raining and snowing, but there was a line 40 people deep down the sidewalk. So... my Bojangles wasn't bad....

Whoever manages to land the Waffle House franchise slot for Southend will become wealthier than David Tepper within a decade.

Gotta say, Callie’s was meh. Good not great. Nothing special at the very least. 

• Confused 1

On 1/31/2020 at 12:58 PM, Jayvee said:

Gotta say, Callie’s was meh. Good not great. Nothing special at the very least. 

I've tried  the one in Charleston twice and was underwhelmed both times. I really wanted to like it, but just wasn't there taste and texture wise.  I'll give  the CLT location a try.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2020 at 10:22 AM, kermit said:

I should have listened to you. Monday morning at 9:30. I was 3rd in line but was still sloww. Biscuit was OK, egg blah, bacon was cooked badly.

Mediocrity is a problem, but $12 for a biscuit and tea is a crime against humanity. 

Especially for a biscuit that barely looks removed from a cylinder package that POPS when you twist it. I've been making better looking biscuits than that since I was a preteen.

On 2/3/2020 at 10:22 AM, kermit said:

I should have listened to you. Monday morning at 9:30. I was 3rd in line but was still sloww. Biscuit was OK, egg blah, bacon was cooked badly.

Mediocrity is a problem, but $12 for a biscuit and tea is a crime against humanity. 

I stopped by on Saturday at about 1pm (bad idea).  Stood in line for an hour, ended up getting the sausage egg and pimento cheese biscuit.  Nowhere to sit inside so I just walked about a block to where I had parked and ate in my car.  Presentation was - how should we say it - lacking, and even though it wasn't a long walk, it wasn't hot anymore when I sat down so that was disappointing.  Perhaps they were still ironing out all the wrinkles, but from my experience in kitchens it seemed very inefficient and disorderly.  (Also, when I have bought Bojangles for coworkers, it has always still been reasonably hot ~15 mins later).  

All in all just kind of average, don't think I'd stand in a long line for it again, especially at $9 a pop.  I did hear them say they were getting another register this week so the line should move faster now.  At this point I've probably just been spoiled by Bojangles.

callies hot little biscuit.jpg

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, nicholas said:

I stopped by on Saturday at about 1pm (bad idea).  Stood in line for an hour, ended up getting the sausage egg and pimento cheese biscuit.  Nowhere to sit inside so I just walked about a block to where I had parked and ate in my car.  Presentation was - how should we say it - lacking, and even though it wasn't a long walk, it wasn't hot anymore when I sat down so that was disappointing.  Perhaps they were still ironing out all the wrinkles, but from my experience in kitchens it seemed very inefficient and disorderly.  (Also, when I have bought Bojangles for coworkers, it has always still been reasonably hot ~15 mins later).  

All in all just kind of average, don't think I'd stand in a long line for it again, especially at $9 a pop.  I did hear them say they were getting another register this week so the line should move faster now.  At this point I've probably just been spoiled by Bojangles.

That doesn't even look good. Looks like the pimento cheese sucks too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nicholas said:

If you're going to be hyping yourself up as the next great biscuit joint in Charlotte it had better look a hell of a lot better than that. I've lost any and all interest in checking it out. Hopefully they turn things around. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

And who thinks it's a good idea to put what was obviously cold pimento cheese in the middle of a sausage and egg biscuit?  Their cooler is required to keep it below 41 degrees, so that's going to suck the heat right out of the sausage. They should put the cheese on then put it under a broiler for a minute or something. 

29 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I was surprised by how lousy Chapel Hill's restaurants are.  Chapel Hill is very cosmopolitan and largely prosperous, and yet, its restaurants are pretty lame.  Durham has some good ones though.

There are some older places that are really dragging it down. Some that used to be good and keep filling seats out of nostalgia and lack of competition. I would imagine it's tough to make the numbers work on a more creative place with the variability of the local population and staffing challenges. 

One thing they do have is Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen. Somebody should franchise that and put it next to a South End Waffle House to create a breakfast megablock. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

The pimento cheese was pretty decent tbh.  Too bad they put it on the wrong half of the sandwich :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, slipperypete said:

And who thinks it's a good idea to put what was obviously cold pimento cheese in the middle of a sausage and egg biscuit?  Their cooler is required to keep it below 41 degrees, so that's going to suck the heat right out of the sausage. They should put the cheese on then put it under a broiler for a minute or something.

There are some older places that are really dragging it down. Some that used to be good and keep filling seats out of nostalgia and lack of competition. I would imagine it's tough to make the numbers work on a more creative place with the variability of the local population and staffing challenges. 

One thing they do have is Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen. Somebody should franchise that and put it next to a South End Waffle House to create a breakfast megablock. 

It's not unacceptable to have cheese on the bottom for a breakfast item, but if you're only going to do one layer of each, it should be egg on the bottom, then meat, then cheese.  Sandwhich/burger/biscuit 101. 

• Like 3