Good New Restaurants

1 hour ago, nicholas said:

It's not unacceptable to have cheese on the bottom for a breakfast item, but if you're only going to do one layer of each, it should be egg on the bottom, then meat, then cheese.  Sandwhich/burger/biscuit 101. 

This is the content I am here for! (not sarcastic at all, UP needs way more biscuit talk)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, turbocraig said:

See, now I would do protein on the bottom, then egg, then cheese.  No?

I agree. 

But only with American cheese. It melts at a lower temperature than something like cheddar. If the egg isn't way overcooked then a cheddar slice would probably not melt at all on top of it. For cheddar I could see the argument for putting it between the protein and the egg.  Pimento cheese though? The thermal mass of pimento cheese (particularly what looks like a very mayo-heavy version in the photo up thread) is much higher than a slice of cheese or some cheese shreds due to the high moisture content. So no matter where you put it, the heat is going to get sapped right out of the egg and protein. So what I would do is split the biscuit, pimento cheese inside the top, throw that under a broiler for 20 seconds. Meanwhile, protein and egg on the bottom half. It would be a messy thing of beauty. 

Now on a fried chicken biscuit I would put that pimento cheese right on. It should already be very hot, so the pimento cheese will just take it down a bit. Probably make it edible more quickly. 

Ok, so back to that dinner-roll-looking-biscuit.  Are they just like that at Callie's? Is that the style in Charleston?

• Like 3

Despite my pricing issues I went back today. It was better, although not in the great category. Bacon was properly cooked, cheddar cheese properly melted, but the egg was still completely flavorless (a little pepper would make a huge difference). It was a (bottom to top) cheese, egg, bacon stack. 

The biscuit was closer to a decent size (its not big however), but it was still dry. Despite the well melted cheese the whole package was also cold.

My wife seemed to like her biscuit better, although she was annoyed by the ‘performative biscuit-making.”

If they can keep this up, and find a way to deliver a warm biscuit, then they will make it into my Semi-regular breakfast rotation (the bar for that is low in Charlotte). I’ll go a few times a month, but I’ll be horrified by the price everytime.

Edited by kermit

40 minutes ago, kermit said:

Despite my pricing issues I went back today. It was better, although not in the great category. Bacon was properly cooked, cheddar cheese properly melted, but the egg was still completely flavorless (a little pepper would make a huge difference). It was a (bottom to top) cheese, egg, bacon stack. 

The biscuit was closer to a decent size (its not big however), but it was still dry. Despite the well melted cheese the whole package was also cold.

My wife seemed to like her biscuit better, although she was annoyed by the ‘performative biscuit-making.”

If they can keep this up, and find a way to deliver a warm biscuit, then they will make it into my Semi-regular breakfast rotation (the bar for that is low in Charlotte). I’ll go a few times a month, but I’ll be horrified by the price everytime.

Not sure if they have biscuits but Laurel Market has always been one of my favorites for breakfast sandwiches.  The breakfast torta (I add avocado) is to die for!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not sure where to put this but here's Dion's review of Goodyear House.  Sounds like they have some kinks to work out as expected.  Anyone else been?

https://www.inside485.com/post/goodyear-house-charlotte-review

Also side note who thought he'd be the hero we needed in food reviews in town after all those cringey Agenda articles?!  I've really enjoyed the content on Inside 485.  Even this, while not a great review I feel is very fair and has an optimistic tone for what the restaurant can become

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Not sure where to put this but here's Dion's review of Goodyear House.  Sounds like they have some kinks to work out as expected.  Anyone else been?

https://www.inside485.com/post/goodyear-house-charlotte-review

Also side note who thought he'd be the hero we needed in food reviews in town after all those cringey Agenda articles?!  I've really enjoyed the content on Inside 485.  Even this, while not a great review I feel is very fair and has an optimistic tone for what the restaurant can become

Yeah, Dion is really doing the lord's work with his reviews. They're honest and well-written, and he's willing to give new places a second chance if he needs to.

• Like 2

Tried Goodyear today - I think the 485 review is pretty spot-on, though I think I had a better time with food. Service seemed much slower than it should have ("sorry! kitchen is backed up!"), and the menu is... odd. I think everyone at the table was like, is this the full menu? Are you hiding another menu? 

That said, I think this place will rocket once they work out the kinks. The design is phenomenal. I will definitely go back this spring on a nice evening. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Tried Goodyear today - I think the 485 review is pretty spot-on, though I think I had a better time with food. Service seemed much slower than it should have ("sorry! kitchen is backed up!"), and the menu is... odd. I think everyone at the table was like, is this the full menu? Are you hiding another menu? 

That said, I think this place will rocket once they work out the kinks. The design is phenomenal. I will definitely go back this spring on a nice evening. 

I looked at that menu online and it doesn't seem very appealing. It does seem odd and lacking. Nothing I see makes me want to go try it immediately. 

• Like 2

Went to El Thrifty on Saturday night.  Great vibe, fun games, good bar selection & drinks.  Taco salad was really good & the bowl itself was very tasty.  Not a big fan of their actual tacos - on the small side for the price and not prepared well.  Their menu online is quite different from what is available at the restaurant, strangely.  I'll give it another shot but Velvet Taco was definitely better.

• Like 2

I finally tried White Duck Taco recently and it made me seriously  question why people were dying for this place to open here. The pieces of chicken on one  taco were so big you could hardly bite it (and tough as hell) and everything lacked flavor, including the corn tortillas which might be some of the worst I've had served to me in a restaurant before, dried out, rubbery and tasteless.  On the atmosphere front, Taco Bells have more than that location does. I had so many friends telling me how I was going to love the place... wow. Is the Original significantly better?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CLT> said:

I finally tried White Duck Taco recently and it made me seriously  question why people were dying for this place to open here. The pieces of chicken on one  taco were so big you could hardly bite it (and tough as hell) and everything lacked flavor, including the corn tortillas which might be some of the worst I've had served to me in a restaurant before, dried out, rubbery and tasteless.  On the atmosphere front, Taco Bells have more than that location does. I had so many friends telling me how I was going to love the place... wow. Is the Original significantly better?

Yes and I need to try the Charlotte location out but the Asheville locations are great! 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CLT> said:

The Charlotte location isn’t even in the same universe as the Asheville location. It’s a shame. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jayvee said:

The Charlotte location isn’t even in the same universe as the Asheville location. It’s a shame. 

I don’t know. We found the Biltmore Ave location underwhelming as well. We walked away shaking our heads trying to figure out why people were so excited White Duck was coming to Charlotte. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

these guys are from Turkey who own these restaurants in Mooresville and the entire old Burlington Mill there with their antique mall office space etc.  

when things to return to normal I will go by and eat there again as I have in the past.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/03/26/mooresville-restaurateur-losing-money-on-each-sale.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

these guys are from Turkey who own these restaurants in Mooresville and the entire old Burlington Mill there with their antique mall office space etc.  

when things to return to normal I will go by and eat there again as I have in the past.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/03/26/mooresville-restaurateur-losing-money-on-each-sale.html

There is also an Alino's at Concord Mills as well.  Great pizza!  However reading the article, I was somewhat surprised that he referenced the fact that he was from Mesopotamia which is the old name for what is today the current nation of Iraq.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, rancenc said:

There is also an Alino's at Concord Mills as well.  Great pizza!  However reading the article, I was somewhat surprised that he referenced the fact that he was from Mesopotamia which is the old name for what is today the current nation of Iraq.

He is probably Kurdish.  Usually a lot of Kurds say that to dodge saying they are Kurdish or that they are completely Turkish.  But on a side note their pizza is really good! I also recommend trying Capishe (spelled wrong, in Italian it’s supposed to be Capisce). They are also Turkish owned :)

• Like 2

My friend knows him and he told me he was from Turkey when I met him.   But regardless he is doing a great thing and his Main St Antique Mall in Mooresville is great. He did close the furniture store though. Part of the mill above the restaurants is office space and the home of Greenworx electric lawn equipment company. 

• Like 1