Good New Restaurants

• 3 weeks later...

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Not really new but, the Superica website says they are now back open for curbside pickup only Wednesday through Sundays (4:30-8:30 -- 9 on Fri-Sat).

http://www.superica.com/charlotte/

Got take-out from there last night and there was a line of cars 10-15 deep waiting for food. People seem glad it's back open.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Some fine food writing here from one of our own. I have been eating biscuits all my life but  I still learned something from this (Mallard reaction). I also mostly agree on his critique. Perhaps Ricky_Davis_Fan has a future as a food writer in addition to his myriad other talents.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, davidclt said:

LOL

Image result for mallard

Maillard ("my-YAR") reaction makes the mallard nice and crispy and brown (those three vertical lines do bleed together as our eyes age  - @Rickydavisfan21 got it right) 

See the source image

Thanks guys! Wish I knew I loved writing before I turned 30!

I realize these aren't "new" restaurants, but I went on a run after the storms this afternoon and wanted to highlight which restaurants have re-opened and which are still takeout-only/temporarily closed. Results may vary - these were my observations as I ran by this evening.

Not too many people out, which is to be expected. The weather didn't help either. Still, definitely the busiest foot traffic I've seen in a little while.

Open for sit-down

• Midnight Diner (they danced and waved for me to come in as I ran by)
  • Hot Taco
  • Cedar St. Tavern
  • Great Wok
  • Bisonte Pizza Co
  • Futo Buta
  • Chima Steakhouse
  • Chipotle
  • Eddie V's
  • The Local
  • 204 North
  • Cowbell Burger Bar
  • Bulgogi Box

Still Carry-out Only

• Charlotte Beer Garden
  • Basil Thai

Still closed/Uncertain (for now, I hope)

• Essex
  • 5Church
  • Sitthara (caters the contractors at Gateway for lunch anyways)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/27/2020 at 6:44 PM, DCtransplant said:

Interesting addition to Thrift Road. Counter. $110 per person price fixe. Will be curious to see how it makes out.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-around-town/c5-development/article243035526.html

Wow. I go out to dinner with my wife and 2 kids and eat well for less than $110 total. I wish them luck in this new economy.

was at the largest resturant in NC and the top grossing restaurant in the state the Angus Barn in Raleigh yesterday.  We were told their half capacity was 398 and it got me thinking even at "half capacity" Is this the bigger than any restaurant in Charlotte.   My question is what is the biggest restaurant by seating capacity in Charlotte?  Is it Del Friscos?  

http://www.angusbarn.com/about.html

Photos of the 42,000 sq ft plus "barn" known as Big Red. 

IMG_8381.JPG

IMG_8382.JPG

IMG_8386.JPG

IMG_8387.JPG

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 9:21 AM, KJHburg said:

We were told their half capacity was 398 and it got me thinking even at "half capacity" Is this the bigger than any restaurant in Charlotte.   My question is what is the biggest restaurant by seating capacity in Charlotte?  Is it Del Friscos?  

DelFrisco’s would be my guess. It clocks in at 36,000 square feet. 

• Like 1

Why do they need a restaurant the size of a small Best Buy? That’s like the entire floor plate of that building! Never understood going HAM for steakhouses. Can run to the butcher, grab prime or dry aged beef, some ghee, some garlic and some herbs and make the same if not better steak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Tyree Ricardo said:
CLT> said:

Why do they need a restaurant the size of a small Best Buy? That’s like the entire floor plate of that building! Never understood going HAM for steakhouses. Can run to the butcher, grab prime or dry aged beef, some ghee, some garlic and some herbs and make the same if not better steak.

Expense Accounts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/6/2020 at 10:02 AM, Tyree Ricardo said:
CLT> said:

Double the eagles needs double the space?

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, kermit said:

Cracker Barrel is taking their sweet time on the minor Maple Street Biscuits up-fit at the former Holler and Dash. Sorry about the sloppy drive-by shot.

29664170-90AD-4D46-AE6B-9FACB05EC66F.jpeg

Is this essentially a test location for new CB brands? If so, I assume it will turn over like this every 2-3 years as they try new things out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2020 at 1:16 PM, CLT> said:

Expense Accounts.

Yep...from Del Frisco's SEC filing https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1415301/000141530118000030/dfrg-20171226x10k.htm  Its a "safe" choice if you are taking a large group of customers out. The people who go on Fri/Sat and spend their own money boggle the mind though.

We believe the majority of our weekday revenues in our Del Frisco’s Double Eagle and Sullivan’s concepts are derived from business customers using expense accounts, and our business therefore may be affected by reduced expense account or other business-related dining by our business clientele. If business clientele were to dine less frequently at our restaurants, our business and results of operations would be adversely affected as a result of a reduction in customer traffic or average revenues per customer.

From the Triangle Biz Journal about a Raleigh restaurant but since this is the biggest and highest grossing by sales restaurant in NC it is worth noting.  Probably if you have been to the Capital City you have been here at least once.

""On Sunday, the Angus Barn celebrated a significant anniversary: 60 years in business.  The restaurant opened its doors June 28, 1960, and was conceived on a steak and potato-based menu. 

Since that first night 60 years ago, the Raleigh eatery affectionately known as “Big Red,” has operated for more than 21,000 nights and has entertained 14 million guests, according to the Angus Barn.   The establishment can seat close to 900 guests and employs over 400 team members. And in case anyone wants to know, the eatery has served more than 22,000 steaks since it opened.""

Makes me want to celebrate this NC icon (again) 

http://angusbarn.com/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

From the Triangle Biz Journal about a Raleigh restaurant but since this is the biggest and highest grossing by sales restaurant in NC it is worth noting.  Probably if you have been to the Capital City you have been here at least once.

""On Sunday, the Angus Barn celebrated a significant anniversary: 60 years in business.  The restaurant opened its doors June 28, 1960, and was conceived on a steak and potato-based menu. 

Since that first night 60 years ago, the Raleigh eatery affectionately known as “Big Red,” has operated for more than 21,000 nights and has entertained 14 million guests, according to the Angus Barn.   The establishment can seat close to 900 guests and employs over 400 team members. And in case anyone wants to know, the eatery has served more than 22,000 steaks since it opened.""

Makes me want to celebrate this NC icon (again) 

http://angusbarn.com/

It's a steak restaurant and they'v only served 1.05 steaks per night?

Edited by Madison Parkitect
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1