Good New Restaurants

2 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

It's a steak restaurant and they'v only served 1.05 steaks per night?

No they are closed some holidays and of course were basically closed for 60 days or so but yes that does not seem correct.  They have 900 seats for crying out loud and before all this they were at high occupancy.     I will be happy to accompany you up there to investigate this further while tasting the menu 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

No they are closed some holidays and of course were basically closed for 60 days or so but yes that does not seem correct.  They have 900 seats for crying out loud and before all this they were at high occupancy.     I will be happy to accompany you up there to investigate this further while tasting the menu 

Their website says over 20k a month, so I guess technically they've served well over 22,000 but it seems that's a Biz Journal misprint.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Their website says over 20k a month, so I guess technically they've served well over 22,000 but it seems that's a Biz Journal misprint.

Probably a misprint so should I drive or you to get to the bottom of this?  and while we are there I will take steak and shrimp. 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Maple Street Biscuit is certainly better than Hollar and Dash, but its not stellar by any means (Sunrise Biscuit kitchen in Chapel Hill may be the gold standard, Art’s was also top notch in its day) Biscuits are on the dry side, but they (thankfully) lack the stale-bitter taste of H+D’s). The fried chicken was above average and not greasy,  eggs were well cooked,  too much cheese relative other ingredients, bacon was 5/10 (kinda limp), gravy is meh (but I am not a gravy guy).  Prices are super high for biscuits ($9), but their default is basically fried chicken plus bacon plus gravy so a bunch of stuff comes on a typical biscuit. FWIW it felt significantly cheaper than Callies (based on what you get) to me.

Slightly different subject, I have not felt any need to go back to Callies since the plague hit.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

Barely in Mecklenburg County just by a few feet Charlotte Mecklenburg will be the new home of a Biscuitville a NC chain that has not previously been in the market (there is one store in Indian Trail)  a staple in central NC and the Triad now right near Concord Mills on Mallard Creek Rd off I-485.  Move over Bo here comes the "Ville   Open for breakfast and lunch only. 

https://biscuitville.com/

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Barely in Mecklenburg County just by a few feet Charlotte Mecklenburg will be the new home of a Biscuitville a NC chain that has not previously been in the market (there is one store in Indian Trail)  a staple in central NC and the Triad now right near Concord Mills on Mallard Creek Rd off I-485.  Move over Bo here comes the "Ville   Open for breakfast and lunch only. 

https://biscuitville.com/

This should be in the Great News thread. Biscuitville is the second best mass produced biscuits in NC (after Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen in Chapel Hill)

[soooo disappointed in Callie's]

• Haha 1

Just now, kermit said:

This should be in the Great News thread. Biscuitville is the second best mass produced biscuits in NC (after Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen in Chapel Hill)

[soooo disappointed in Callie's]

Not to mention MUCH cheaper than Callies.  and with a Bojangles over 1.5 mile away they will do great there.  I will let everyone know when it is opens. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, lit said:

We dropped into Bargarita the other night and there was a 20 minute wait (expected). My g/f and I both ordered THE BIG ONE which is one of their BARgarittos and it was delicious. My brother and his wife showed up , they tried a few different tacos and they were all good.  I “tested out” a few margaritas as well. The Strawberry Jalapeño was my favorite. 

90% of the people working there I recognized from Tilt/204. It was nice to see them all getting back to work. I will definitely be going again this weekend  

Yuck. Paint over the Solstice murals (after saying you would restore and leave them) and open a place in NoDa called Bargarita :tw_bawling: Not a single vegetable on the menu and $10 margaritas, $5 for a Corona light! Couldn't be any less excited for a restaurant to open (although Room & Board across the street tried). I've been a defender of NoDa saying it has been keeping its personality but this is the knife in the back on the way to South End Lite. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Noda jumped the shark a while ago. Population is exploding and the mediocrity follows.

The warehouse/industrial area up near Craighead and the SC station will be the next major expansion in the immediate area. Already underway.

I know it's coming but that doesn't mean it's impossible to have good places open. I think Goodyear House at least made a great deal of effort to fit into the area and pay homage to the history even if their food/menu falls a little flat IMO. Oh My Soul has also been a great addition that absolutely is not another cookie cutter chain or restaurant group. Mattie's diner finding a new home on Plaza is another great example. 

• Like 2

In my experience the inflection point for neighborhoods between original residents, seekers of low rent, and urban pioneers, in other words that precious "authenticity", was Dilworth in 1976, Wilmore in 1995, Wesley Heights in 2004. North Davidson was some time ago. The moment approaches and then is past without announcement.

(These dates are crude estimates based on my experience of these locations. Other neighborhoods I have less/no experience)

• Like 3

Agreed ^^ about Local Loaf, it's the absolute best example I can point to of a in-the-neighborhood shop, that you can walk to and enjoy a nice time without being absolutely surrounded by traffic and parked cars.

Yes, people park on the surrounding streets but it's far more spread out compared to the unending line of cars all the way down Davidson street.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

In my experience the inflection point for neighborhoods between original residents, seekers of low rent, and urban pioneers, in other words that precious "authenticity", was Dilworth in 1976, Wilmore in 1995, Wesley Heights in 2004. North Davidson was some time ago. The moment approaches and then is past without announcement.

(These dates are crude estimates based on my experience of these locations. Other neighborhoods I have less/no experience)

IMO NoDa died when Pat’s shut down (2001?). I never saw a former mill worker in a NoDa business again after that (Brooks being an exception, but everybody goes to Brooks)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

Funny to have a conversation about NoDa jumping the shark while it is still the coolest neighborhood in Charlotte. Says a lot about how bland and boring our city is....

21 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Can't believe NoDa bodega got left out of this conversation. Love that place.

Not sure if Local Loaf has ever fully opened in the old Bodega spot.  Only went in there once when they weren't inexclibably closed and they didn't even have  coffee.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Desert Power said:

Funny to have a conversation about NoDa jumping the shark while it is still the coolest neighborhood in Charlotte. Says a lot about how bland and boring our city is....

Not sure if Local Loaf has ever fully opened in the old Bodega spot.  Only went in there once when they weren't inexclibably closed and they didn't even have  coffee.

They were definitely fully opened pre-covid and finally figured out their regular baking schedule to have fresh bread every Thurs-Sat mornings. I think they've been getting some of the building fixed during the last few months but they should be pretty regular now

48 minutes ago, JHart said:

They were definitely fully opened pre-covid and finally figured out their regular baking schedule to have fresh bread every Thurs-Sat mornings. I think they've been getting some of the building fixed during the last few months but they should be pretty regular now

Funny you guys mention this. I ordered online at 8:30 this morning and the site said it would be ready at 9:30 (they open at 9). I got there right at 9:30 and no one had shown up to work yet. Someone walked up and unlocked the door just after I arrived and started cooking, but they definitely were not a well-oiled machine (but the french toast was pretty good)

• 3 weeks later...