Good New Restaurants

Horace's Hot Chicken is pretty great as one of our city's first "cloud kitchen" concepts.  The chicken sandwich is HUGE and great flavor.  The mac and cheese as well as potato salad were solid sides.  Hush puppies about the size of golf balls

Already planning to try out their wings over a football weekend

• Like 4

the 2nd location of Superica is back on track according to the Biz Journal.

""Superica is back on track to open in south Charlotte later this year.  Construction on that 5,900-square-foot restaurant had been delayed by the coronavirus. But, now, award-winning chef Ford Fry says to expect that location to open in November.  It is located in the Strawberry Hill development, at the corner of Sardis and Providence roads.   This marks the second location for the popular Tex-Mex brand in the Charlotte market. The first Superica opened in South End in May 2018.  “We’ve been really happy with the support from the Queen City so far and are excited to introduce a second edition,” Fry says.   He says that Strawberry Hill’s family-friendly community feel makes it a perfect fit.""

it has been under construction for over a year but think got stalled a few months ago.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

""Superica is back on track to open in south Charlotte later this year.  Construction on that 5,900-square-foot restaurant had been delayed by the coronavirus. But, now, award-winning chef Ford Fry says to expect that location to open in November.  It is located in the Strawberry Hill development, at the corner of Sardis and Providence roads.   This marks the second location for the popular Tex-Mex brand in the Charlotte market. The first Superica opened in South End in May 2018.  “We’ve been really happy with the support from the Queen City so far and are excited to introduce a second edition,” Fry says.   He says that Strawberry Hill’s family-friendly community feel makes it a perfect fit.""

it has been under construction for over a year but think got stalled a few months ago.

Yeah blaming the construction delays on Coronavirus is disingenuous at best. But I’m happy to hear they are finally moving ahead. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

VERY excited about this as I now live right around the corner from it.

Edited by Madison Parkitect
  • Like 2

On 9/17/2020 at 4:43 PM, KJHburg said:

New Duckworths Taphouse backfilling the old T Mac space in Piedmont Row in Southpark so says the Biz Journal.  More moderate priced options are needed in that area. 

Business Journal is also saying the upstairs will feature a craft cocktail concept.  If they can combine a Duckworths with a craft cocktail component like the cellar (that isn't loud and open like it was at tMac), they could really have something.  SouthPark is lacking in the craft cocktail department.  Yes some of the nice restaurants have good cocktails, but they aren't places I seek out to go just for a cocktail. We love our dot dot dot but would love some other options in this neck of the woods as well. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sakami said:

Yeah blaming the construction delays on Coronavirus is disingenuous at best. But I’m happy to hear they are finally moving ahead. 

with all restaurants closed down for almost 2 months I see why they delayed.  But this location will do good and draw a different crowd than the Southend location and I will be a frequent person here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sakami said:

I don’t know, I could absolutely see the logic in slowing playing a new restaurant opening for a few months given the uncertainty around COVID the 

There’s certainly now some work being done. Picked up dinner from that new Mezeh place the other day and there were workers at Superica 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruco72 said:

I don’t know, I could absolutely see the logic in slowing playing a new restaurant opening for a few months given the uncertainty around COVID the 

There’s certainly now some work being done. Picked up dinner from that new Mezeh place the other day and there were workers at Superica 

This location was announced as long ago as July of 2018. If it was this January I would buy it. I get construction and funding delays happen but this had been delayed well before the events of 2020. 

2 hours ago, Bruco72 said:

How was Mezeh, compared to Yafo and Cava and the other bowl places?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Looks like the old Vapiano that closed on Tryon is coming back as The Bella Ciao.  Sounds like same concept (pasta & pizza bar).  Vapiano was a cool and affordable pizza/pasta place Uptown...glad to see a similar restaurant back in it's spot.  Flyer says Fall 2020.

Legit missed that vapiano had closed, but I guess I heard the chain declared bankruptcy at some point? 

On 9/16/2020 at 4:25 PM, KJHburg said:

the closest Biscuitville to uptown Charlotte at the Meck Cabarrus county line is proceeding nicely.  Near Concord Mills on Mallard Creek/Derita road.

I've always wanted to try Biscuitville and see how its biscuits compare to Bojangles, but...none of their locations are ever open.  They all close at like 2pm, and the only time I'm ever near a Biscuitville is after 2pm.

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, nicholas said:

I've always wanted to try Biscuitville and see how its biscuits compare to Bojangles, but...none of their locations are ever open.  They all close at like 2pm, and the only time I'm ever near a Biscuitville is after 2pm.

IMO Bojangles’ biscuits are generally better than BV,  I find BV's biscuits to be kinda dry and lacking in much flavor, but they hold together well (which is important when driving). Despite/because of the lower quality BV biscuits are much more consistent than Bo's. The place where BV excels is with what goes in the biscuit, I have had LOTS of BV breakfasts and I have never been disappointed with what was inside the sandwich, meanwhile I have completely given up on bacon from Bo's and Bo's eggs are hit and miss (mostly depends on how long the assembled biscuits have sat I suspect). 

Long story short, I like BV better because my bacon and cheese is important to me, but when Bo’s is good its hard to beat.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, kermit said:

IMO Bojangle's biscuits are generally better than BV,  I find BV's biscuits to be kinda dry and lacking in much flavor, but they hold together well (which is important when driving). Despite/because of the lower quality BV biscuits are much more consistent than Bo's. The place where BV excels is with what goes in the biscuit, I have had LOTS of BV breakfasts and I have never been disappointed with what was inside the sandwich, meanwhile I have completely given up on bacon from Bo's and Bo's eggs are hit and miss (mostly depends on how long the assembled biscuits have sat I suspect). 

Long story short, I like BV better because my bacon and cheese is important to me.

Good to know.  I honestly just get plain biscuits from Bojangles sometimes because they're so good, so I suspect they will be my preference.

Bacon and eggs can definitely be inconsistent based on who is in the kitchen, but I've actually never been dissatisfied with either from Bojangles.  And that's coming from someone who has probably cooked more bacon and eggs than the rest of the forum members combined!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, nicholas said:

Bacon and eggs can definitely be inconsistent based on who is in the kitchen, but I've actually never been dissatisfied with either from Bojangles. 

I love a Boj biscuit, but their ham and steak biscuits are wildly inconsistent. The country ham biscuits at BV are reliably great. The steak is pretty good too, but it's no Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen.  

• Like 2

A new Peruvian street food restaurant, Panca, opened this weekend at Carmel Road / Highway 51 in South Charlotte in the former's Moe's location. Looked like a great crowd when I drove by and hope to stop in to support a locally owned and operated restaurant that opened during a pandemic. He is a former chef with the Charlotte Hornets that got let go due to COVID-19. The cuisine is focused on authentic Peruvian street food and staff are fluent in English and Spanish.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-around-town/c5-development/article244609087.html

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

A new Peruvian street food restaurant, Panca, opened this weekend at Carmel Road / Highway 51 in South Charlotte in the former's Moe's location. Looked like a great crowd when I drove by and hope to stop in to support a locally owned and operated restaurant that opened during a pandemic. He is a former chef with the Charlotte Hornets that got let go due to COVID-19. The cuisine is focused on authentic Peruvian street food and staff are fluent in English and Spanish.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-around-town/c5-development/article244609087.html

They posted on Facebook that they ran out of food yesterday for their opening.  I live walking distance to there now and hope to check it out one night this week.  That location is cursed with a terrible in/out traffic pattern but hopefully this make a go of it.   The QC Bubble Tea Bar is going in next door to it (not sure when but the temp sign is up).