Good New Restaurants

My girlfriend and I had our second anniversary last night and went out to M5 for drinks before heading to Del Frisco's for dinner. I have to say, M5 is a very posh spot. My only complaint is that outside on the patio, the Walgreen's across the street is not really much of a mood-setter. It's like you are in a swanky LA bar, and then you lood to the left and see a neon pharmacy light. That ruins the romance of the place.

As for Del Frisco's, though it isn't exactly "new," I haven't heard anything about it here. We had an extraordinary meal. We started out with the obligatory blue cheese wedge...but it was filled with fresh, tasty bleu cheese crumbles...probably the best I've had. The steaks were the best that either of us have had. Ruth's Chris, Morton's, Sullivan's, etc. couldn't hold their own against this joint. Both of us had a filet, broiled to perfection (the same way that Ruth's Chris does it). It didn't come sizzling with butter, but who cares? It was amazing! The side that we shared was the Chateau potatoes (i.e. mashed potatoes with the skin on with lots of cayenne pepper...awesome!). The staff were very non-pretentious, very laid back, but at the same time -- very attentitive. The manager came over to our table after we finished the bread, warning us kindly of our mistake and guaranteeing us that we would not be able to finish our meal because of it. We had a friendly bet with him that we could, and he bought out desserts as a result (it was so good that it was impossible not to finish it). I had creme brulee and my girlfriend had a butterscotch cheesecake. Both were incredible.

The atmosphere is best characterized as abundant. It's huge. This joint is 2 stories, with most of the place feeling like you are eating under a 40-foot ceiling. There are two bars -- one one on each level.

Bottom line...Love it. Great date place, as long as your girl likes meat and potatoes (mine does, luckily). Even better business place. Morton's has a run for their money.

Thanks for the review. I've been meaning to check that place out. I'm a Sullivan's fan, so it seems like you've set the bar here... haha. I also read that Tiger Woods was there when he was here for the Wachovia Championship back in May.

Me & a friend ate at Rooster's on Morrison Blvd Sat. Love the atmosphere, and if you like the bird Rooster, they have an entire wall dedicated to them.

Great menu selection, and a huge wall-o-wine. The place is a tad pricey but we kinda expected that. Incredible salads, and the food was very nice and the service was exceptional (Chad, out waiter).

Has anyone tried "Crisp" at the corner of 7th & Pecan? It's where the former Schlotzsky's was and then some deli was there for a short while.

The outside looks very inviting with the bright green canopy and outdoor seating. I would have never thought anyone could get an outdoor patio in front of that place since it is so close to the street but they did and it looks very nice what they did.

Just wonder how the food is though.

^^ Friend of mine went to Crisp and said it was pretty good, but a little $$.

And not sure if this counts as a chain, since this is their only location outside of New Orleans, but I went to GW Fins this past weekend (where Palomino used to be). It was excellent. Very good food and the interior is spectacular. Fairly modern design, but still warm/inviting. With the exception of Filet and Chicken, the rest of the menu is seafood. Selection is based on whatever is available that day, so they print the menu daily. Most entrees in the mid-20s to low-30s--very reasonable for the quality of the meal. Only problem they're having is lack of customers. We went at about 8:30 on Saturday. They were at about 15% capacity, I'd say. The place is split in two main sections--dining area on one side, and a bar/lounge/dining area on the other. The bar side was empty. The dining side we sat in had maybe 25 people. Our waiter said some of the wait staff have already had to take on second jobs to make ends meet. No doubt they suffer due to location--eveything seems to really drop off past 7th street. Maybe they do better business during the week with client dinners and such.

Edited by geekUSA1981

Location was always a concern at Palomino. When i worked there (up until about a year before they closed), there were a lot of slow nights. They did pretty well around the holidays. I will definitely be trying the new place.

On another note, I received an email from Zada Janes saying that they were open/about to be open. I didnt have a chance to go by there this weekend, does anyone know if they opened? This is the little green restaurant beside Central27 condos in plaza midwood.

I just found out that Southend Brewery closed! It's now apparently "Woods on South." It's got a celebrity chef -- Marvin Woods. They are still going to be brewing beer, but it will be handled by the Carolina Brewing Company in a partnership. It opened last night with a charity fundraiser and are doing the same again tonight.

I wonder if I can still use my mug from the mug club.

I just found out that Southend Brewery closed! It's now apparently "Woods on South." It's got a celebrity chef -- Marvin Woods. They are still going to be brewing beer, but it will be handled by the Carolina Brewing Company in a partnership. It opened last night with a charity fundraiser and are doing the same again tonight.

I wonder if I can still use my mug from the mug club.

First post, this was announced on the southend thread a week or two ago. Glad to know that it is already open though, that sure was fast. It will be interesting to see how well a $30+ an entree restaurant does pared with a Brewery. I live in South End, and often was a South End Customer. The question it makes me ask is what happens to the other South End Brewery Locations.

Edited by 83alphaunder

I can't tell you how happy I am that Zada Janes is now open! This is a welcome addition not only to the Plaza-Midwood dining scene, but to the city as a whole. I've always thought Charlotte lacked a good breakfast restaurant that was more than a greasy spoon diner. Nothing wrong with greasy spoons mind you, but sometimes you're in the mood for something a little less "greasy." ^_^

To me it's along the same lines as the Flying Biscuit in Atlanta in that it's good food for not a lot of money and there's actually some creativity to the menu AND the space. They serve breakfast right up until 3:00 PM. I was just in there today and they say they may start opening for dinner in a couple of months, although they want to get their groove going with the b'fast thing before they look at expanding to a dinner menu. But there's something to be said for doing just one thing and doing it well, so I'd be happy for it to stay a strictly breakfast cafe. I just hope there's enough business for that niche because Charlotteans have never struck me as a breakfast-y bunch (sadly).

Edited by PlazaMidwoodGuy

I had lunch at Crisp today. It was good. I wouldn't say that it's too pricey -- my chicken caesar salad was $8. I mean, heck, if I pick one up at the deli at Harris Teeter it's $6. To have it made fresh and tossed in front of you is worth the $2. And the size -- wow, it's a huge salad, as I saw all the other salads were. They have signature salads (like the chicken caesar) or you can do a create-your-own thing, which includes a type of green and 5 toppings in the $6.50 price. Meat (chicken, shrimp, steak) is $2 extra and additional toppings are $0.50. They also have a good sandwich selection. My girlfriend got the Monterrey, which was a chicken sandwich with bacon, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and a cajun aioli. It came with a small side salad of mixed greens and a vinagarette. I didn't have a bite, but she loved it!

There's a nice patio outside on 7th, and the interior has a clean, modern feel. Good spot -- I'll return.

I had lunch at Crisp today. It was good. I wouldn't say that it's too pricey -- my chicken caesar salad was $8. I mean, heck, if I pick one up at the deli at Harris Teeter it's $6. To have it made fresh and tossed in front of you is worth the $2. And the size -- wow, it's a huge salad, as I saw all the other salads were. They have signature salads (like the chicken caesar) or you can do a create-your-own thing, which includes a type of green and 5 toppings in the $6.50 price. Meat (chicken, shrimp, steak) is $2 extra and additional toppings are $0.50. They also have a good sandwich selection. My girlfriend got the Monterrey, which was a chicken sandwich with bacon, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and a cajun aioli. It came with a small side salad of mixed greens and a vinagarette. I didn't have a bite, but she loved it!

There's a nice patio outside on 7th, and the interior has a clean, modern feel. Good spot -- I'll return.

Crisp is only open for lunch, right?

I too am glad that the Cup is in UC, I think it will do very well in that location. The past two restaurants that were in that spot didn't seem to ever be that busy when I would drive past them and I think that location needed a name like the Coffee Cup to get the people to come out.

Coffee Cup, here I come.... :)

Does anyone know what the deal is with the Coffee Cup that relocated to the Cameron-Brown Building on McDowell? Are they ever going to open?

So I made it to Woods on South today and it was pretty good. Met Marvin, funny colored chefs hat and all, he was a really nice guy. They didn't do an extensive renovation, it is still a huge space for moderate sized serving floor, but they seemed to have changed a decent amount in short time. The atmosphere was good, the food was good, pretty close to excellent. I before questioned the pairing between a brewery and $30 entrees, and I still do. However I do not question the pairing with this restaurant, because there is not a single item on the menu for $30. Sandwiches were 8-10, appetizers were 4-13, entrees were 16-26, and pizzas were 9-12. There was a decent wine list and 10 Carolina Brewing company branded beers, which were all very good, I had the $8 sampler of 8 beers, plus the two that were not included in the sampler.

We ate quite early, starting at about 5:30, and they place was pretty slow, but by the time we left around 7, the place was getting pretty packed, and marvin was greeting tables.

Summary: Overall it was a good experience. Two people, an Appetizer, Two Entrees, 2 glasses of chardonnay, and basically 4 beers, 25% tip, and it was a good bit south of $100.

Rating: 4 outta 5

Edited by Guest

So I made it to Woods on South today and it was pretty good. Met Marvin, funny colored chefs hat and all, he was a really nice guy. They didn't do an extensive renovation, it is still a huge space for moderate sized serving floor, but they seemed to have changed a decent amount in short time. The atmosphere was good, the food was good, pretty close to excellent. I before questioned the pairing between a brewery and $30 entrees, and I still do. However I do not question the pairing with this restaurant, because there is not a single item on the menu for $30. Sandwiches were 8-10, appetizers were 4-13, entrees were 16-26, and pizzas were 9-12. There was a decent wine list and 10 Carolina Brewing company branded beers, which were all very good, I had the $8 sampler of 8 beers, plus the two that were not included in the sampler.

We ate quite early, starting at about 5:30, and they place was pretty slow, but by the time we left around 7, the place was getting pretty packed, and marvin was greeting tables.

Summary: Overall it was a good experience. Two people, an Appetizer, Two Entrees, 2 glasses of chardonnay, and basically 4 beers, 25% tip, and it was a good bit south of $100.

Rating: 4 outta 5

i appreciate the review - ive been a bit apprehensive about heading to check it out at $30/entree but ill have to check it out now. THANKS!!!

I ate at G.W. Fins a couple nights ago, a Wednesday night. Located on North Tryon, in the base of "The forgotten tower" 525 N. Tryon. Went to try it out for kicks since I knew it wouldn't be crowded. Its a 2nd location for the New Orleans restaurant, the other being in the French Quarter there. Fresh seafood, flown in, new menus printed each and every day with the date printed on them. Some things they have every day, others change daily. The interior is classy, good bar area and the dining room had huge windows and was spacious. I had the calamari for starters (its not a fried calamari, it was in a tomato based sauce with polenta and strips of wood grilled calamari), seared snapper for main course (fresh seared snapper filet, over lobster butter mashed potatoes, and crawfish etouffee, a stew like mixture of crawfish meat and veggies). Split bread pudding for dinner and a crown and ginger to close out the night. The food was great. Calamari was a little different, but the mixture was spiced right and tasted good together. The entree was what should and what did make the experience. The fish was seared perfectly, the potatoes were delicious and flavorful without being too heavy or thick, and the crawfish etouffee was also great.

The bread pudding was incredible, good portion, topped in a sugary glaze, tasted like I was in New Orleans. They also have very good table bread, little rich biscuits with something in the butter (I think lobster). They never let you go without bread for more than 30 seconds, it was almost comical. The service was great, but the place was slow. Both managers came by and made sure our meal was enjoyable and tasted as we expected. Prices on Entrees range from $21 to $38.

Great place every once in a while (money wise) when you can't get to the coast for good seafood.

http://www.gwfins.com/Charlotte.htm

the Flying Biscuit in Atlanta is good food for not a lot of money and there's actually some creativity to the menu.

A Flying Biscuit opened at Stonecrest Shopping Center this week. I have yet to eat at one so I might just have to check it out. I did go by Zada Janes today. I had already eaten lunch but at least I know where it's at now. :)

• 1 month later...

I went to The Counter today at SouthPark. I'm not sure when it opened, but it must have been a quiet opening because I had no clue about this one until I checked their website this morning. I've known that it has been coming for a while and figured I would have heard something when it opened.

It was a good experience. Kind of like an upscale Johnny Rocket's. You get a clipboard with sheets of paper with all your options listed, and just check what you want on your burger. It's like a sushi menu for your burger. They offer beef, turkey, chicken, and veggie as the meat, and you can get them in 1/3, 2/3 or (!) 1 pound. Then you check off the cheese(s) that you want, the toppings, the type of bun, and the sauce you want on the burger. I opted for 1/3 pound beef, pepperoncinis, baby greens, gruyere, Tillamook cheddar, and the balsamic dijon sauce on a regular hamburger bun. It was great! I also had the fries, which are seasoned and easily enough for 2-3 people. And we started off with some fried pickle chips. They served the fried pickles with an apricot sauce, but that didn't work for me (too sweet) so we got some ranch dressing.

They server beer, wine, shakes, malts, and of course regular soft drinks. It is a bit pricey for a burger. By the time you add on fries you are looking at a minimum of $12. But, it's a damned good burger and not the same thing that you would usually get (if you opt to go for the non-traditional toppings, that is).

The place was packed at 1:00 today. Granted, it is a busy shopping day being the Saturday before Christmas and all, but there was actually a wait by the time we left. Overall, I'm impressed, and will without a doubt be back. The Counter is a good spot.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked out Feast last night. Despite the confusing menu (all the headings in french and there is little explanation of what you are actually going to get when you receive your meal, etc.), this place was quite amazing. I opted for the lentil stew for a start and the Heche Permentier for an entree. The Heche Permentier (which is basically a french version of a Sheppard's Pie) was outstanding. Organic ground beef and mashed potatoes, all blended together in a pot-pie fashion covered with melted cheese. It probably wasn't healthy, but damn it was good! The desserts looked awfully tempting, but I was already full. The prices are very nice -- $3.95 for the stew and $12.95 for the entree. I think the most expensive thing on the menu was like $14 or so. The drinks are what will get you. At $9 each for a liquor drink, it doesn't take too much to turn a somewhat cheap meal into an expensive meal with a couple drinks per person. Grand total for 2: $92 with tip.

The atmosphere on top of it all was outstanding -- nothing else like it in Charlotte. I'm currently residing at the Sofitel in Miami for the weekend, and the French restaurant here at the hotel (granted it is a 4-star hotel with 4-star food) is very similar in almost every aspect to Feast. Except for the price (the cheapest entree here is $30), and the addition of more hearty entrees like a filet or jumbo sea scallops.

My girlfriend and I loved our experience at Feast, and we will most certainly be back very soon (perhaps just for the food next time). I can almost taste the immaculate Hache Permentier now. Mmmmmmm.....

• 1 month later...

Ok guys... I need some suggestions. Taking a new girl out to eat this week (not Valentine's) and I'm looking for a few good recommendations on where to eat. She's lived here much longer than me so she knows a lot of niche places. Me, not so much. We both live in Dilworth and frequent the Sullivan's, 131, Nikko, etc... Looking for something different, but not overly pricey and within a 10 minute drive. Much thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I always recommend LuLu's on Central Ave. Entree's are in the $20-$25 range. Service is exceptional. Food is excellent (it's modern French fare, but in a comfort food sort of way, if that makes sense). Interior is a bit crowded, as its in an old bungalow house, but its pleasant.

For Italian, I suggest Villa Antonio at the intersection of South Blvd. and Woodlawn. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but I think it has the best Italian food in Charlotte by far, and the interior decor is much nicer than you would imagine.

Ok guys... I need some suggestions. Taking a new girl out to eat this week (not Valentine's) and I'm looking for a few good recommendations on where to eat. She's lived here much longer than me so she knows a lot of niche places. Me, not so much. We both live in Dilworth and frequent the Sullivan's, 131, Nikko, etc... Looking for something different, but not overly pricey and within a 10 minute drive. Much thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I really like Sole on East (across from East Blvd Bar and Grill) -- Spanish. Also Zen on the corner of Kenilworth and East (same owners as sole). Feast, mentioned in this thread is downtown where Menage used to be -- probably my new recent favorite for atmosphere -- it is HOT, very modern, you'll forget you are in Charlotte -- with good food with the most expensive menu item under $15. Sonoma in the bottom of BofA corporate center is really good as well.