Good New Restaurants

On 12/15/2020 at 6:55 PM, elrodvt said:

I yen (sic) for an authentic Izakaya with Yakitori! Along with a decent selection of Sashimi. Hard to find a place with Ika or Uni. So, IMHO there is plenty of room for more JP places just don't americanize them to death!

Yume usually has a whole Uni you can get, but they have become really bad at not delivering lately.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Eagle now has “now hiring” signs up at Atherton. 
Here is a time capsule piece from the CBJ from November 2019 estimating a January 2020 opening. In this environment I would say they came pretty close.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/11/27/fried-chicken-and-beer-concept-targets-opening-in.html

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Maybe there is hope for the reopening of the uptown Amelie's according to this article.  And they are also staying put at their North Davidson St location and will not move to 36th St.

Amelie’s French Bakery & Cafe on NoDa restaurant, other plans - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Weird they walked away from the 36th st space, seemed like they had plowed a good bit of cash into it.

• Like 1

I was one of 10-12 people waiting in the drive through line at the new Biscuitville  this morning for about 30 minutes.

I wish I could say it was great, unfortunately it was a classic case of groupthink. It won’t open until the 14th and none of the people in the drive through could figure that out. No biscuit for me (until I got to Salisbury).

I am a moron!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Biscuitville opens today Thursday in the Cabarrus Mecklenburg county line.  More to come but in ring town and cities.  This seems likes it will be the closest location to Charlotte 

Biscuitville to open Concord restaurant soon as breakfast chain ramps up local growth plans - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 2

I'm not sure I should be putting this under Good New Restaurants, but has anyone else been to Alchemy?  We went last night and I was disappointed.  The vegan charcuterie board was good, but it was all downhill from there.  We got also got the Avocado Hummus, which was pretty much flavorless and the Mushroom Trip to share.  I didn't know exactly what to expect from the Mushroom Trip, but it wasn't what I thought it would be.  A kind of mushroom version of a polenta cake topped with what appeared to be mashed potatoes but weren't, and oddly difficult to cut through.  I got the Lion's Mane mushroom fettuccine entree (not shown on the online menu for some reason) and the flavor - I can't even put my finger on what seasoning it was - was so unpleasant it was inedible.  Even the mushroom (and I've never met a mushroom I didn't like) was fried but overly wet at the same time.  Very off-putting.  We also got the S'mores dessert and the presentation is very cool.  A clump of ground charcoal covered in Everclear and lit at the table.  It's served with a large marshmallow and two big doughnut holes that you cut and smush your toasted marshmallow between, but even the doughnuts tasted stale.

The place is nicely decorated and you meet the hostess at the front of a large and sparsely appointed art gallery before walking 30' to the restaurant entrance beyond, which is something different.  I'm not trying to beat the place up, really.  Just giving my honest opinion.  Curious if anyone else has been and what they thought.

Edited by turbocraig
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/21/2021 at 11:18 AM, turbocraig said:

I'm not sure I should be putting this under Good New Restaurants, but has anyone else been to Alchemy?  We went last night and I was disappointed.  The vegan charcuterie board was good, but it was all downhill from there.  We got also got the Avocado Hummus, which was pretty much flavorless and the Mushroom Trip to share.  I didn't know exactly what to expect from the Mushroom Trip, but it wasn't what I thought it would be.  A kind of mushroom version of a polenta cake topped with what appeared to be mashed potatoes but weren't, and oddly difficult to cut through.  I got the Lion's Mane mushroom fettuccine entree (not shown on the online menu for some reason) and the flavor - I can't even put my finger on what seasoning it was - was so unpleasant it was inedible.  Even the mushroom (and I've never met a mushroom I didn't like) was fried but overly wet at the same time.  Very off-putting.  We also got the S'mores dessert and the presentation is very cool.  A clump of ground charcoal covered in Everclear and lit at the table.  It's served with a large marshmallow and two big doughnut holes that you cut and smush your toasted marshmallow between, but even the doughnuts tasted stale.

The place is nicely decorated and you meet the hostess at the front of a large and sparsely appointed art gallery before walking 30' to the restaurant entrance beyond, which is something different.  I'm not trying to beat the place up, really.  Just giving my honest opinion.  Curious if anyone else has been and what they thought.

I enjoyed my meal when I went there for my GF's birthday - but I definitely had the chicken version of one of their dishes. I can't speak to the vegan menu there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

^I haven't been there so can't compare. Definitely would like to check out based on your review. Several people I know also rave about Old Stone in Belmont. It's on my list as well, but haven't been there yet  either. We went to Steak 48 about a month ago, which has locations in Chicago, Houston and Philadelphia. It was on point. I always rave about Capital Grille and Del Frisco's for high end steakhouses in Charlotte,  but Steak 48 was fantastic. Drinks (we had martinis which I'd put there with Capital Grille), apps and Steaks were cooked to perfection. It's probably 10-15% more expensive so just know that, but it's a great option for high end steakhouses if you're into that.. 

• Like 2