Good New Restaurants

3 hours ago, cltheel.sdl said:

Going to Charlotte next week for some business meetings with a colleague who has never before been to the Queen City.  What are the "must take an out-of-towner to" restaurants in town, restaurants that really define Charlotte?

I’d say Mac’s Speedshop BBQ on South Blvd for sure. Also do Soul Gastrolounge, Kiki, 300 East, Dish etc. 

2 hours ago, Temeteron said:

I’d say Mac’s Speedshop BBQ on South Blvd for sure. Also do Soul Gastrolounge, Kiki, 300 East, Dish etc. 

I really love Indaco in SouthEnd, Stir at the Rail Yard, and Seoul Meat Co. Also, randomly, if you like really spice Thai food look at Rai Lay. Ambiance wise it is not much, service is kinda meh, but their fried rice is out of this world. 

27 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

I really love Indaco in SouthEnd, Stir at the Rail Yard, and Seoul Meat Co. Also, randomly, if you like really spice Thai food look at Rai Lay. Ambiance wise it is not much, service is kinda meh, but their fried rice is out of this world. 

I love Rai Lay! 

The Stanley. Crunkleton next door for drinks. Dogwood Room. Cafe Monte for French (Charlotte is not in France). Mimosa Grill if uptown. These are white linen restaurants.

7 hours ago, cltheel.sdl said:

Going to Charlotte next week for some business meetings with a colleague who has never before been to the Queen City.  What are the "must take an out-of-towner to" restaurants in town, restaurants that really define Charlotte?

• Thanks 1

Finally got a chance to try Southern Pecan Gulf Coast Kitchen in Philips Place last night and we all came away impressed.  Service was good.  Cornbread awesome. Oysters on the half shell were some of the biggest I have ever gotten. All our entrees were really good (and big portions as almost everyone had leftovers).  Came away really impressed with the cocktails too (apparently others know about the cocktails as the bar was for the most part full).   

It's owned by Monte of Cafe Monte and we have always been a fan of that place as well.  Worth a trip for sure and we will be back. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2021 at 3:41 PM, KJHburg said:

When in Lexington I stop here.  Family owned locally owned and one of our UPers family restaurant.  After my morning hike at a state park I set my GPS to Lexington BBQ (Honey Monk's) in Lexington.   Absolutely PACKED for a Monday lunch.  Even saw a New Jersey car in the lot.  The waitress apologized for the slow service which took about 6 minutes to get my plate!  Felt fairly normal for me in Charlotte LOL. 

As always thank you for stopping my @KJHburg

• Like 4

On 6/14/2021 at 4:48 PM, tarhoosier said:

I was there and the menu had "Home made peach cobbler". I asked the waitress if it was home made. She said "Marjorie over there (points pencil) made it." Not to disappoint Marjorie I ordered cobbler and was happy I did so.

There it is. There is my Monk "like" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No surprises in the map of chain restraint prevalence. We appear to be in the 50% chain category. The implication of the study is better walkability = better food choices (causality, yada yada)

A1A921CF-7623-44C3-8A90-68262BDB2366.png

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

One big reason we have so many chains is that we are targeted by every chain in the country as our population is growing fast, fairly affluent and great overall demographics representative of larger US population.  (that is why we have served as a test market for many years) 

Good chains will thrive others will not.  There have been plenty of examples over the years of chains with big plans here then they sputter out.  

Slow growing markets with stagnant or declining populations usually don't attract new chain entrants into the market. 

• Like 2

Looks like a map of obesity rates in this country, which also lines up to the areas with the highest rates of Type 2 diabetes and death rates via heart disease. The red areas on the map are basically the counties that live off the Chick Fil A diet. Sit in line for 20 minutes to get your 1,200 calorie lunch, repeat the next day, and then the next day, and then the next day..... and have a bitter dislike of anything that doesn't taste like the MSG in a Chick Fil A sandwich due to habit. Once the person is hooked on the MSG flavor, it is hard to get them off of it. The local habitants taste buds change and anything that tries to cook without MSG can't compete. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Thanks 1

Chain restaurants can be salad places like Chopt  or burritto places like Chipolte so this is about chains not only fast food.  Includes I am sure sit down chain restaurants as well like Red Lobster, Outback etc.  Includes breakfast chains like Snooze also a chain.  Not all about fast food restaurants.   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kermit said:

No surprises in the map of chain restraint prevalence. We appear to be in the 50% chain category. The implication of the study is better walkability = better food choices (causality, yada yada)

A1A921CF-7623-44C3-8A90-68262BDB2366.png

For those interested in the article behind the map: MapLab: How Many Chain Restaurants Are in Your City? - Bloomberg

Also, here's the source map along with some other cool interactive maps (because #mapgeek): Data + Interactive - Friendly Cities Lab (gatech.edu)

Edited by davidclt
  • Thanks 2

couple new restaurants coming to the Southpark area:

""The owner of Seoul Food Meat Co. has nabbed a prime SouthPark space. Plans call for a new concept, Bit by Seoul Food, to debut in the Morrison Place development this fall. It will occupy 3,535 square feet in that development, located at Sharon and Colony roads. The space formerly housed Tandur Indian Kitchen.  “What we wanted to do was have a foothold in the SouthPark market,” says Timothy Chun, owner.  Bit — as in a little bit of the menu — will draw inspiration from Seoul Food Meat Co. Expect a fast-casual restaurant that delivers bao buns, tacos and wings. It will build upon those popular menu items, introducing new flavor combinations and spinoffs.""

Seoul Food Meat Co. owner plans new restaurant concept in SouthPark - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

""Upscale restaurant Limani should open in SouthPark by early next year. That New York City concept has signed a deal for 7,700 square feet at Phillips Place. “We’re very pleased to have them be a part of Phillips Place here in Charlotte,” says Johnny Harris, CEO of Lincoln Harris, which owns that development. “It’s one of those restaurants we’ve had our eye on for a long time.” Harris says the former Upstream space will undergo extensive renovations.  Limani currently operates two locations — one at Rockefeller Plaza in New York City and the second in Roslyn, New York. The Mediterranean seafood restaurant focuses on Greek specialties, incorporating cold-pressed olive oil, fresh fish and seafood, and local organic vegetables.""

Upscale restaurant Limani to open location at Phillips Place in SouthPark - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 3

In case ya missed this morning's broadcast, probably one of the better, most informative Charlotte Talks in recent memory...  

https://www.wfae.org/show/charlotte-talks-with-mike-collins/2021-06-21/the-pandemic-hit-charlotte-restaurants-hard-how-are-they-doing-now

Guests

Cristina Bolling, managing editor of The Charlotte Ledger Business Newsletter

Kathleen Purvis, food and travel writer, formerly with the Charlotte Observer

Gregory Collier, James Beard award-nominated chef, co-founder of BayHaven Restaurant Group, and owner/operator of Leah & Louise in Camp North End

Patrick Whalen, owner and CEO of the 5th Street Group, which owns a number of restaurants in Charlotte, including 5Church, La Belle Helene, and Sophia’s Lounge.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

this has been around for a few years but my first visit.  the Pump House in Rock Hill.  Imagine dining 5 floors 50 plus feet above the Catawba River. the view was great and so was the food.  head south Charlotte and check this out.  Half the cars in the lot were NC plated including my own.  One if the not the only riverfront restaurant in the metro area (we have plenty of lakefront but not on the river like this)   Right over the river in Rock Hill.  Make sure you eat in the open air patios on 5th floor.   Part of the Riverwalk development a huge brownfield redevelopment on the old Celriver chemical plant. 

Welcome (rockhillpumphouse.com)

Even saw a celebrity  Justin Beaver.  

IMG_9275.JPG

IMG_9276.JPG

IMG_9277.JPG

IMG_9278.JPG

IMG_9279.JPG

IMG_9281.JPG

IMG_9282.JPG

IMG_9283.JPG

IMG_9284.JPG

IMG_9285.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this walking the other day. Chex Grill & Wings opened up where the old JJ's was Uptown.  I think this will work well being near the park and stadiums.   Good food and the hours seem to be normal...didn't JJ's have odd/limited hours?   Looks like this new location is opened till 10PM or 11PM every day which is good.

392224340_Screenshot2021-07-14132610.png.7fbd95df0b4398b4286c7ba5fae4835b.png

• Like 2

Today's CBJ:  "Expansion is on Jim Noble's radar as South End chicken restaurant tracks toward fall opening" by Jennifer Thomas

"Charlotte restaurateur Jim Noble has plans to grow his Bossy Beulah’s Chicken Shack brand.   Two locations — one at 2932 Griffith St. in South End and a second in Winston-Salem — are slated to open this fall."  "Noble says he’s been working on the South End restaurant for a while, drawn by the building’s character as well as neighborhood growth, walkability and strong nightlife with proximity to local breweries."  "He anticipates that 2,400-square-foot restaurant could open in November.  It will have indoor seating with roll-up garage doors and an indoor/outdoor bar.  A 1,500-square-foot patio will have picnic tables.  A walk-up window will allow for to-go orders."  "Gensler is the architect for the project.  Doerre has signed on as the general contractor."

Conceptual designs for Bossy Beulah's Chicken Shack in South End.

Edited by QCxpat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1