Good New Restaurants

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2022 at 7:34 PM, kermit said:

:offtopic: Surprised to see unisex bathrooms in a Jim Noble (Bossy Beullahs)  restaurant today...

Sign of a change of corporate heart, or just limited space?

He knows that CLT isn't what it used to be.  If he kept up his old antics then he'll quickly lose his businesses' ability to attract new business with the rapidly growing population here. See what Chick-Fil-A had to do to survive in Atlanta as an example. 

I'm still not a fan of either though...

Edited by kayman
  • Like 1

in other chicken news Bojangles is heading to the Lone Star state!

from Austin Biz Journal

""Bojangles Inc., the North Carolina-based fried chicken fast food chain, could make its way to the Austin market in the coming years.  Bojangles announced in early January plans to open about 50 locations across Texas, five of which would be in Austin, with others in Dallas Fort-Worth, Houston and San Antonio.  The company said it will target locations on the north side of the Austin metro, including suburbs such as Cedar Park, Leander, Round Rock, Pflugerville and Georgetown.""

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

in other chicken news Bojangles is heading to the Lone Star state!

from Austin Biz Journal

""Bojangles Inc., the North Carolina-based fried chicken fast food chain, could make its way to the Austin market in the coming years.  Bojangles announced in early January plans to open about 50 locations across Texas, five of which would be in Austin, with others in Dallas Fort-Worth, Houston and San Antonio.  The company said it will target locations on the north side of the Austin metro, including suburbs such as Cedar Park, Leander, Round Rock, Pflugerville and Georgetown.""

Calling this as yet another unsuccessful territory expansion for the Bo. 

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...

Great Old Restaurants

This is a "great old restaurants" post. Dinner at 300 East last evening and memories of the decades of fine meals made us consider what other lasting establishments have survived for such a time*. 300 East is from 1985 and was The White Horse as the first restaurant incarnation in the house. Current owner/chef is daughter of long time operator who was server then manager of White Horse before proprietorship. So 35+ years as family owned and run business which sets a standard. With the closing of several long time establishments such as Mr K and Zack we struggled to think of more survivors of the 70's and 80's. The Kokenes family and the Open Kitchen is a special example. Alexander Michael in 4th Ward also comes to mind with the recent listing of the property for sale. The business owner assures everyone the lease is long term and solid. Where might other survivors be in Charlotte. They might be in out of the way locations where the property rent or land value allow survivorship such as West Charlotte or Mint Hill for example. 

In this case survivor means same restaurant appearance with small changes to menu, same site, long service, likely different owners but continued success surviving business cycles, neighborhood changes, economic pressures, ownership struggles/burnout/generational succession and whatever else this type of business must endure. 

Please offer your recommendations as I hope to try some new  old restaurants soon.

*I am aware that the demise of any restaurant is assumed the day the doors are opened. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Great Old Restaurants

This is a "great old restaurants" post. Dinner at 300 East last evening and memories of the decades of fine meals made us consider what other lasting establishments have survived for such a time*. 300 East is from 1985 and was The White Horse as the first restaurant incarnation in the house. Current owner/chef is daughter of long time operator who was server then manager of White Horse before proprietorship. So 35+ years as family owned and run business which sets a standard. With the closing of several long time establishments such as Mr K and Zack we struggled to think of more survivors of the 70's and 80's. The Kokenes family and the Open Kitchen is a special example. Alexander Michael in 4th Ward also comes to mind with the recent listing of the property for sale. The business owner assures everyone the lease is long term and solid. Where might other survivors be in Charlotte. They might be in out of the way locations where the property rent or land value allow survivorship such as West Charlotte or Mint Hill for example. 

In this case survivor means same restaurant appearance with small changes to menu, same site, long service, likely different owners but continued success surviving business cycles, neighborhood changes, economic pressures, ownership struggles/burnout/generational succession and whatever else this type of business must endure. 

Please offer your recommendations as I hope to try some new  old restaurants soon.

*I am aware that the demise of any restaurant is assumed the day the doors are opened. 

300 East is where my wife and I had our first date, almost 11 years ago now. We go back every now and while it's comforting that the menu is still the same it's definitely one of those places that's surprisingly hung on with seemingly NO changes to either menu or interior since even before our first date there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Great Old Restaurants

Beef n Bottle, much like Open Kitchen, always comes to mind when people mention older Charlotte restaurants.

One of my good friends fathers is a long time Statesville resident and always has stories of coming into the city to eat at both places in the 60s and onward.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Beef and Bottle was in our conversation last night. Must there be more or are there only a handful or less?

We went there after reading several good words here. It was mediocre and over priced IMHO. Maybe a bad night but I doubt it. We won't be going back.

Trying Epic in fort mill for VD (ironic that abbreviation) . It was on some top new places list.

I do not know how to internet. Looking for olde restaurants in Charlotte The CO has a quite recent article about the very thing. In addition to those mentioned above most are drive ins, workingmans breakfast-lunch places, takeaway (Brooks, Greens Lunch) and several of those are Greek survivors of longstanding. Just the type of food emporia one would expect from the 1950's in Charlotte. Historic in style, value, and menu.

The seated family and couple evening dining places are Nakato (different than original location but long time at current spot), Gus Sir Beef, Riccio's (not original location I think), Diamond, Providence Road Sundries. This does not include private clubs.

I was at Nakato, then on Independence, an embarrassingly long time ago, Gus Sir Beef since Nakato but still a very long time, Diamond more recently but several years and Sundries some time in the 80's (?) when the place was a hot pick up joint for Myers Park singles or wish-they-were singles. Cocaine in the bathroom era, in other words. We survived, most of us. Parking was always a nightmare there.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-food-drink/article252308573.html

The essence here is that to have an owner/chef driven restaurant with popular menu, steady clientele and long life is possible but rare. I may try Riccio's and Sundries this year.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Some interesting data visualized by WSJ.

Charlotte restaurant dining-in is well above pre-covid conditions. Somehow we are significantly outperforming Atlanta (second chart), but somewhat underperforming Nashville (3rd -- they are probably less affected by declines in business travel than we are). That said, I have some concerns about how effectively OpenTable data reflect actual behavior in Charlotte.

image.png.24caa160072a14062ff3ee8f031703b5.png

image.png.9a3e6b04f823971deebf1f2a6c38773a.png

image.png.657a023903c70cf286cfda0ea338b01f.png

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, navigator319 said:

The delivery apps suck. That said I am a user, but in the last 6/8 months I have dramatically scaled back.

I have taken to calling up the place I want take out from.

The prices are dramatically cheaper for the individual items and then none of the consumer fees as well the apps charge individuals.

The mark up just got to out of whack for the value. I hope more people realize this and the individuals establishments can then kick them out of their operations.

I agree about the apps.  We pay much more than menu price, and still the restaurant gets much less.  After I learned how bad they are -- and they really are much worse than most people realize -- I decided that I should avoid them at all costs.   

But then I found the Toast Takeout app, which is really not a general delivery app, but a customer connection to the point of sale for (almost) any restaurant that uses Toast POS.  When I use the app for carry out, I end up paying the same menu prices, and the restaurant gets the same revenue, just like I walked in to place the order in person.  For delivery, same thing, and Toast contracts with Doordash or somebody to deliver within a set radius of the restaurant for a set fee plus tip (I think it's 2 miles and $7.00 plus tip).  It all feels very honest and above-board. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Food oriented news in Charlotte!!

CBJ Morning Buzz: Enat Ethiopian restaurant debuts at Optimist Hall; 

May 20, 2022, 11:11am EDT
http://media.bizj.us/view/img/11396838/optimist-hall-opening-mk014*304xx5654-3769-0-0.jpg
MELISSA KEY

The sprawling Optimist Hall complex now houses more than two dozen tenants, including a fully leased food hall.

The food-hall lineup at Optimist Hall will be complete this weekend, with Enat Ethiopian opening in the final stall there. The restaurant, which got its start in Charlotte in 2017, will debut its outpost at the former mill on May 22, according to a press release.

“Joining Optimist Hall seems like a great opportunity to help grow the Charlotte food scene by introducing Ethiopian cuisine to a much broader audience of open-minded foodies,” owner Tina Tedla said back in September, when the lease for the food stall was signed.

Enat serves up traditional East African dishes with a modern flair, using recipes inspired by Tedla's mother. The original location is at 4450 The Plaza in east Charlotte's Shannon Park neighborhood.

The sprawling Optimist Hall complex was once home to Charlotte's largest textile mill, according to its website. It now houses 147,000 square feet of restaurants, retail and office space, including a 22,000-square-foot food hall with 19 stalls. Charlotte-based White Point Partners and Atlanta-based Paces Properties led the adaptive-reuse development of the property at 1115 N. Brevard St., just north of uptown.

A second location of barbecue restaurant Noble Smoke opened there in March. Other dining options in the food hall include The Dumpling Lady, Velvet Taco, Harriett's Hamburgers and Felix's Empenadas, to name a few.

I

• Like 3

I'm loving the restaurant scene is reflecting the rapidly growing racial diversity of the Charlotte metro area. Especially, those of the African and Sub-Saharan African and East African (both are considered black) diaspora relocating here in droves.  

Edited by kayman
  • Like 3