Good New Restaurants

I heard Charlotte maybe getting a Whataburger.  They are opening up locations in Atlanta and Nashville so it makes sense to come to NC and Charlotte.
Here are the drive through lanes at a Whataburger in a major Texas city. 
IMG_3028.thumb.JPG.42a4d049603198c1abd11e04c3f09a3e.JPG

I was in Houston a few months ago and was mad at myself for not going to the Whataburger down the street from where I was staying… Haha I hope we do get one!
  • Like 2

A bit off topic here (apologies)...

Southern Living just published its annual listing of the "South's Top 50 BBQ joints."

While, as always, I have lots of quibbles with the list, they at least put Skylight at #4 (B's is better), but their infatuation with Texas 'bbq" needs to end. One thing that sticks out (again) is that Charlotte is really a BBQ desert (Red Bridges (I woulda picked Alston Bridges) and the usual Lexington suspects being the closest citations). To add insult to injury, the Triangle makes a healthy showing, with Southern living clumsily editorializing:

In just the past two years, the Raleigh-Durham Triangle has welcomed a flurry of promising new barbecue restaurants.

Sure, the Triangle is much closer to “real NC bbq” (Eastern style), but  gezzus, this is an existential problem for Charlotte. If our only offerings are increasingly corporatized (Macs and Jim Noble's local branch of Maurice's franchise), or hipster inconsistency (Sweet Lou's)  then what are we even doing here? Without decent Q there is nothing that separates us from Phoenix.

/Rant/

https://www.southernliving.com/food/bbq/barbecue-restaurants-2022

Edited by kermit

On 9/27/2022 at 9:19 PM, kermit said:

A bit off topic here (apologies)...

Southern Living just published its annual listing of the "South's Top 50 BBQ joints."

While, as always, I have lots of quibbles with the list, they at least put Skyland at #4 (B's is better), but their infatuation with Texas 'bbq" needs to end. One thing that sticks out (again) is that Charlotte is really a BBQ desert (Red Bridges (I woulda picked Alston Bridges) and the usual Lexington suspects being the closest citations). 

Skyland? At any rate, on many visits, B's has never been as good or consistent as Skylight Inn for me. Love every visit to Skylight. And Sam Jones BBQ (son-of-Skylight, but with brisket and beer; and also present on that list) is in the same ballpark of quality, and now has an outpost in Raleigh. So I agree wholeheartedly that Charlotte is far behind. I'm personally hoping for a Jones family invasion in Charlotte. I'm also hoping for only 'on' days for Sweet Lew's, since they are really fantastic when they are dialed in. 

FWIW I am also team Alston (though the sign at Red's is really excellent and I appreciate that).

I'm a little afraid though, that Noble's is the 'cue that Charlotte deserves. Big, conservative and corporate feeling. Too expensive for regular folk. Not as genuine or satisfying as the real deal, but flashy and nicely presented. Seems sadly appropriate. 

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, slipperypete said:

Skyland? At any rate, on many visits, B's has never been as good or consistent as Skylight Inn for me. Love every visit to Skylight. And Sam Jones BBQ (son-of-Skylight, but with brisket and beer; and also present on that list) is in the same ballpark of quality, and now has an outpost in Raleigh. So I agree wholeheartedly that Charlotte is far behind. I'm personally hoping for a Jones family invasion in Charlotte. I'm also hoping for only 'on' days for Sweet Lew's, since they are really fantastic when they are dialed in. 

FWIW I am also team Alston (though the sign at Red's is really excellent and I appreciate that).

I'm a little afraid though, that Noble's is the 'cue that Charlotte deserves. Big, conservative and corporate feeling. Too expensive for regular folk. Not as genuine or satisfying as the real deal, but flashy and nicely presented. Seems sadly appropriate. 

Yup, Skylight. My apologies. Every time I see its address in -Ayden- my brain defaults back to the days of a college girlfriend who was from -Arden-, which was next door to -Skyland- (south of Asheville). This is a 30 year old glitch in my BBQ matrix — Julie clearly made a lasting impression on me…

Well said on Noble’s.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, kermit said:

Yup, Skylight. My apologies. Every time I see its address in -Ayden- my brain defaults back to the days of a college girlfriend who was from -Arden-, which was next door to -Skyland- (south of Asheville). This is a 30 year old glitch in my BBQ matrix — Julie clearly made a lasting impression on me…

Well said on Noble’s.

Does your partner follow this group? :⁠-⁠)

Agree on Nobel. It's a meaningless gesture I know but we don't eat at his places after I learned the politics during the bathroom bill madness.

Off topic but I was listening to a money planet (I believe) and they said 25% of Americans boycott places for moral reasons. For example, liberals and hobby lobby or chix filet. I do it but often feel pretentious or virtue signaling about it...

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

• 5 weeks later...

I'm going to put in a good word for Ten Seconds, which is a new restaurant that has opened in Toringdon. I originally tried their location in Atlanta and found out that they were planning to open a location here just a week later -- although it took them several months to actually open. They serve a Chinese rice-noodle soup called "crossing-the-bridge" noodles. This is better than any pho place I've found here in town...

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, asthasr said:

I'm going to put in a good word for Ten Seconds, which is a new restaurant that has opened in Toringdon. I originally tried their location in Atlanta and found out that they were planning to open a location here just a week later -- although it took them several months to actually open. They serve a Chinese rice-noodle soup called "crossing-the-bridge" noodles. This is better than any pho place I've found here in town...

That looks cool! Sort of like a personal hot pot? Might have to go try that.

On 11/2/2022 at 11:22 AM, Madison Parkitect said:

That looks cool! Sort of like a personal hot pot? Might have to go try that.

Sort of! They use stone bowls that hold heat for a long time, but without an active heat source at the table. The noodles use a good bit of the residual heat to warm up, so after you've put in all of the "toppings" and noodles, it's at a comfortable temperature to eat.

On 11/2/2022 at 10:49 AM, asthasr said:

Thanks for the recommendation!  We went for date night and it was great!  Would have never known about this place otherwise but we'll definitely be back

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

this would be great news for someone.  There is a contest for someone to win $1 Million upfit to a building in Burgaw NC for a restaurant.  

https://wraltechwire.com/2022/12/30/cooking-a-deal-ex-hotjobs-owner-offers-1m-to-build-an-eatery-in-eastern-nc-town/

Burgaw is north of Wilmington off I-40 and is the Pender County seat.   For those who think a small town can't support a high end chef driven restaurant I would point you to the very successful Spoon River Artworks and Market in the micro small town of Belhaven NC population which is half the size of Burgaw and further away from any bigger city.   I love this place and drove several times 1 hour from Greenville to dine there.   http://spoonrivernc.com/

Here is the contest page

https://www.ownyourown.com/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A Japanese bakery chain is opening its first location in NC in Southend at the Centro Square building.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2023/01/11/cbj-daily-buzz-beard-papas-south-end.html

""A Japanese bakery chain whose signature cream puffs are known around the globe is set to open its first shop in North Carolina this month in Charlotte's South End.

Beard Papa's announced yesterday that its “dessert destination” will open at 10 a.m. on Jan. 21 at 222 West Blvd. That's on the ground floor at Centro Square South End, a luxury apartment community at West Boulevard and South Tryon Street.  

The brand got its start in Osaka, Japan, in 1999. It arrived in the U.S. in 2004 — due to demand from American customers, according to restaurant industry publication QSR — with a store in New York City. Beard Papa's says it has built a “cult following” for its customizable cream puffs.

Indeed, Eater Chicago reported that a long line formed for Beard Papa's return to the city in 2020 after an eight-year hiatus, with more than 2,000 cream puffs sold on day one.""

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2023 at 11:58 AM, turbocraig said:

Biz Journal reporting today that another Cheesecake Factory is coming to town.  Taking over the old Gap space in Birkdale. 

It's long overdue. The Cheesecake Factory should've long offer more than one location beyond the SouthPark location in a region of 3 million.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

speaking of coffee and for basic coffee Waffle House is great.  Since I am watching the Food that Built America  tonight on the History Channel it is talking about the founding of Starbucks .

Fun fact:  very first Starbucks in NC was in the Elizabeth community where it still stands on 7th St,  (I drink local coffee by the way only go to Starbucks outside of the country or when someone else is paying LOL)

https://www.scrapehero.com/location-reports/Starbucks-USA/#:~:text=How many Starbucks stores are,Starbucks stores in the US.

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2