South Boston Waterfront discussion

TheBostonian

The South Boston Waterfront is alive with change.

Projects completed in recent years include:

Moakley Courthouse

Convention Center

Silver Line Phase II

Manulife Building

Boston World Trade Center (3 buildings...and another on the way?)

Bank of America Pavilion (spring and summer only, begining in mid 1990s?)

Currently under construction:

New Boston ICA building

And two large buildings visible from the Silver Line...I don't know what they are yet

All this seems pretty darn exciting to me. It is a whole section of the city that is suddenly being built up. But I wonder:

What the heck was at the South Boston Waterfront before all this new stuff? What are those unknown (to me at least) buildings being constructed? What is the status of Fan Pier?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To my knowledge, it was just that, a waterfront. When Boston was more of a major port than it is now, warehouses etc., were there to run the show. Fishermen worked in the area, along with importers and exporters.

I am very excited also about these new developments, but it has been a long time coming. This section of the city seems to have been pretty dormant for decades, acting as a black eye of Boston. Parking lots like these right next to downtown is ridiculous!

One buidling going up next to the Barnes (DoD) building, at 495 Summer St., is a hotel.

As for Fan Pier, the Pritzker family of Chicago (Hyatt) have been battling over the family fortune for the last decade, so they won't develop it and no one seems to want to buy it. There are a lot of city stipulations for its land development. I can't wait till it is developed, though.

Hm. I remember hearing that the city was considering taking some land in the area by eminent domain. Was it Fort Point?

And just think: the Silver Line will forever give the SB waterfront its own flavor, just as the Green Line gives the areas it serves a certain feel.

Hm.  I remember hearing that the city was considering taking some land in the area by eminent domain.  Was it Fort Point?

And just think: the Silver Line will forever give the SB waterfront its own flavor, just as the Green Line gives the areas it serves a certain feel.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is one thing I really like about the Silver Line. The unique station designs, and overall unique feel to the entire line. When I think of the waterfront, I think of the Silver Line. Although from a strictly transit perspective, I would prefer light rail on Washington St, I like what they've done with the Silver Line Waterfront. After seeing the projections for the number of jobs that are going to come to the waterfront, Phase III is starting to make sense to me. It would make it so the Waterfront Silver Line has a direct connection to the Red Line, the Orange Line, and the Green Line (although of course, the Blue Line gets left in the dust again). If the Silver Line had a dedicated ROW along the entire thing then I wouldn't have a problem with it - it does cost a lot less.

For the Urban Ring, though, only rail really makes sense.

"It would make it so the Waterfront Silver Line has a direct connection to the Red Line, the Orange Line, and the Green Line (although of course, the Blue Line gets left in the dust again)."

They MUST have SL1 stop at the Blue Line Airport Station! It seems like a no-brainer, zero-cost MBTA enhancement.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial...the_waterfront/

On the waterfront

By Joan Vennochi, Globe Columnist {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} June 23, 2005

"A NEW BOSTON is emerging on the waterfront. But watching it can feel like watching paint dry or steel rust...."

"The new $700 million convention facility opened a year ago. There are 114 events booked for 2005, according to James E. Rooney, the executive director of the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority. But only 18 events fully utilize the building's massive convention and exhibit space. Fiscal stability requires a minimum of 40 such bookings a year, said Rooney. The breakfasts, law firm holiday parties, and sales meetings that are listed on the convention center's event calendar for 2005 will not balance the books."

"Some day, people will live, work, visit, eat, shop, and revel in the views as a matter of course. Many will have no recollection of how it looks today, or how it looked 25 years ago. They will know nothing about the political maneuverings that set this huge development project into motion, the personal feuds that at times undercut it, or the political connections that got it built and profited from it. They will not have experienced the market shifts that roiled its advocates.

"To them, it will not be the new Boston, just Boston."

• 3 weeks later...

There's a picture of the Westin Boston Waterfront's topping off ceremony on page D2 in today's globe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's a rendering of the Westin:

Westin.jpg

I have to get to Boston sometime soon to take some photos.

$10 million is a lot of money to put on the line...

Lennar makes another Fan Pier bid

Fla. builder offers less as owner faces city pressure to sell

By Thomas C. Palmer Jr., Globe Staff {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} July 26, 2005

"About a year after making an unsuccessful run at the Fan Pier development site on the South Boston Waterfront, Lennar Corp. is making another bid to buy the land -- but it's offering significantly less money.

"Lennar, a Miami home builder, and partners LNR Property Co. and Morgan Stanley have offered about $100 million for the 21-acre site, according to three industry executives briefed on the offer who would speak only on the condition they not be identified.

"The executives said the Lennar group put down about $10 million that is not refundable if the buyers elect not to close a deal."

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/20...r_fan_pier_bid/

Park Lane Seaport residential complex celebrates 'topping off'

July 20, 2005

Boston Business Journal

"Boston's newest waterfront residences were "topped off" Wednesday in ceremonies attended by Mayor Thomas M. Menino.

"The project, called Park Lane Seaport, is a 465-unit residential complex being developed by The Fallon Co. at a cost of $130 million. The luxury complex is being built on Massachusetts Port Authority property at 225 Northern Ave. "

http://boston.bizjournals.com/boston/stori...18/daily34.html

The Silver Line is pretty cool. I've only taken it a couple times, when the weather was too atrocious to cross over the Summer Street bridge... I'll be taking it to the airport in a couple weeks, anything will beat the cab ride there!

And I ran by the Westin a couple weeks ago. Who knew that THAT'S what the final plans were?! Looks great.

• 1 year later...

The Westin Waterfront is under contract to be sold, and will include the adjacent development parcel zoned for another 325-room hotel. The purchaser has said they will likely build another Starwood Brand hotel there. My guess is a Sheraton, since the size-range is right, and it is a good safe bet for getting convention traffic. I think getting two Ws would be a bit of a stretch, and I'm not sure it's the right location for a St. Regis.

Boston Business Journal Article

Archived