Raleigh: A city on the rise - Part 1.

Raleigh-NC

PART I

Welcome to yet-another tour of Raleigh. This time I won't bore you with the few high-rises the city has (Raleigh isn't really known for them), or the same ol' skyline shots. As some of you have seen before, my posts are mostly focused on the street-level activity, or its lack thereof. Since I got my new (and first) digital camera, I would love to share some of the hundreds of pictures I took since last Wednesday :)

This time I want to welcome you to the other side of Raleigh... the common-people side. Sure, it won't be complete until most areas of Raleigh are covered, but I won't waste my time with any sprawled parts, as they all look alike, no matter which city you live in. Although I will cover sprawl in the future, I will concentrate on the areas most residents of Raleigh consider popular and livable. While there will be some downtown shots, they will remain integral part of this tour; in other words, I will keep them "connected" to the rest of the city, and not as separate entities.

Let's begin the tour with a few shots of Cameron Village, one of the oldest (if not the oldest) shopping centers in the entire South-East region:

CameronVillage-RaleighNC-9.jpg

CameronVillage-RaleighNC-13.jpg

CameronVillage-RaleighNC-14.jpg

CameronVillage-RaleighNC-17.jpg

Moving West of Downtown Raleigh (and Cameron Village):

RaleighNC-11.jpg

RaleighNC-27.jpg

RaleighNC-42.jpg

RaleighNC-45.jpg

RaleighNC-50.jpg

RaleighNC-56.jpg

RaleighNC-59.jpg

RaleighNC-60.jpg

RaleighNC-69.jpg

RaleighNC-71.jpg

RaleighNC-73.jpg

RaleighNC-81.jpg

RaleighNC-94.jpg

RaleighNC-99.jpg

RaleighNC-105.jpg

RaleighNC-113.jpg

RaleighNC-115.jpg

RaleighNC-119.jpg

RaleighNC-123.jpg

RaleighNC-124.jpg

RaleighNC-125.jpg

RaleighNC-127.jpg

RaleighNC-133.jpg

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it is a quiet and peaceful place, but not a dead-quiet one. Raleigh missed many opportunities to grow properly, like every 320,000 city should, but it is slowly recovering from the urban sprawl it experienced in the last 20 years. The photos that I posted showed nothing of the heavy traffic that this area experiences... unfortunately. Hopefully, I will cover the less quiet areas, although my two jobs will keep me from doing all that within reasonable amount of time.

Thanks for visiting. Feel free to take a look at other threads on Raleigh.

Archived