Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grurbanguy

Classic 'Googie' Style Restaurant Burns

Check out the G.R. Press Article about the Clock. It even quotes a regular whose last name is Whipple (classic). I loved this place!

It's just such a classic example of those space-aged restaurants, drive-ins, bowling alleys and dry-cleaners that still adorn many parts of G.R. From Plainfield to Alpine to Leonard, you see these curvy behemoths of the 50

It even quotes a regular whose last name is Whipple (classic).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey! Don't squeeze the Sharmin!!! Sorry, it's the only Mr. Whipple I know. :D

I don't know if I'd quite classify the Clock as Googie but it sure is a different style of "coffee shop/greasy spoon" then what we see today. I love eating in those little odd places. Choo-Choo comes to mind as well. I like going up to Rosies and having a burger there once in awhile.

It's definately from a past era. I never did have a chance to eat at the Clock. Probably won't now.

May the Clock and all of the other fallen funky eateries RIP.

Nitro

What a valuable piece of property he is sitting on. Hopefully, he will rebuild, because he brought a nice option to all of the chain restaurants in that area.

I only went there once, late at night, after the bar.

At that time, the food was good. I really doubt that I would have gone back sober though. Somewhere in America this morning a chain restaurant is salivating over the availability of that land.

I used to go there every week when I was younger; they had great food. I'm sure something will be built there soon, because this area is booming with restaurants, retail, and housing. Alpine traffic is a nightmare, though... I don't know how much more it can hold. I hope they save the big "Clock" sign out front... :)

Exactly. The clock out front is what makes it Googie to me (even though a sign doesn't exactly dictate an architectural style).

I'd like to know of any other Googie buildings in GR? Most are gone, but does anyone have any in their neighborhood? Most of the bowling alleys in the area were googie, but have since been update with boring, uninspiring facades. If I'm going to bowl, the place better scream retro-jetson's... :)

The best Googie name in Grand Rapids that is no longer -> The Fanatorium. What a great name. I was sad to see that place go though I never stepped foot inside.

Bring us your pics of kitschy 50's-60's architecture! In another ten years, this style will officially be a jewel worth preserving.

Joe

I used to go there every week when I was younger; they had great food. I'm sure something will be built there soon, because this area is booming with restaurants, retail, and housing. Alpine traffic is a nightmare, though... I don't know how much more it can hold. I hope they save the big "Clock" sign out front... :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. The clock out front is what makes it Googie to me (even though a sign doesn't exactly dictate an architectural style).

I'd like to know of any other Googie buildings in GR? Most are gone, but does anyone have any in their neighborhood? Most of the bowling alleys in the area were googie, but have since been update with boring, uninspiring facades. If I'm going to bowl, the place better scream retro-jetson's... :)

The best Googie name in Grand Rapids that is no longer -> The Fanatorium. What a great name. I was sad to see that place go though I never stepped foot inside.

Bring us your pics of kitschy 50's-60's architecture! In another ten years, this style will officially be a jewel worth preserving.

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That ice cream joint near the corner of 54th and Division is a bit Googie. Don't have a picture of it though.

I always kind of liked that old drive in restaurant closer to 44th and Division that's still there. Somebody should renovate that thing give it a little spit and polish. I bet it would be cool.

Nitro

I happened to catch the Clock as it was burning down. I will post pictures as soon as I fix them up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice! Definitely, the clock sign is what made the joint Googie-esque - not to mention pointing out that the a joint is considered anyplace where you can get greasy food 24/7. I really have to come to admire signs like the one at the clock.

While I did not care for the food, I'll take a joint with paneling over a chain any day of the week. Anyone else have a favorite joint they like to eat at?