U.S. Population Shift Map

GRDadof3

I know it's neither here nor there, I know that Metropolitan areas are decided by commuting patterns on a county by county basis. But I don't quite understand the logic behind separating GR and Holland into two separate Metro areas. GR's Urban population extends into Ottawa, and the rest of Ottawas population is 15mins from there. Or Do you think it might make sense to Combine Holland and Muskegon into one? Because From Holland to North of Muskegon it's continuous development, almost like one decent sized lakeshore city. I guess it's just one of those things. It only half makes sense that Rural Ionia county, is considered part of Metro GR. Commuting patterns and such. But that means a person who lives on the east side of Portland, 15 mins from Lansing, 40 from GR, is considered part of metro GR. It's like that all over the country I assume, In AZ someone who lives 20 mins from Tucson, and 90 minutes from Phoenix is still counted as Metro Phoenix. I guess the truth of a city lies in the Urbanized pop.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was interested to see if there was any relation or not. If I was still in college I think a study like this would be very interesting to conduct. The maps do look similar but part of that is that any county within a significant metropolitan area is going to show more foreclosures just b/c of the sheer greater number of people compared to rural counties. The population map is not a perfect comparison b/c its colored based upon just population count and not overall percentages. Still, it is useful. At a quick glance a few things pop out...

-Sunbelt cities have not been immune to the housing crisis. In fact they have been hit just as hard, if not harder, than the rust belt due to overly-inflated home prices.

-I was mildly surpised to see the Denver area have so many foreclosures. I'm guessing, like the sunbelt, home prices have soared to levels that the market could not handle.

-The Great Plains and NW have not been effected nearly as bad as the rest of the nation when it comes to foreclosures.

-The areas of Seattle and Salt Lake City have experienced rapid growth similar to those of the sunbelt cities but have not felt major reprocussions in the housing market and both continue to grow in population.

-The Midwest seems to be worse off than the Atlantic Coast. While the east coast struggles with moderate problems with foreclosures they are still modestly growing in population although not nearly as fast as the sunbelt.

-Minneapolis and Madison seem to be the only two midwest cities that are growing significantly but haven't had a large amount of foreclosures.

A map or maps showing number of new jobs and/or unemployment probably would help round out the story of the condition of the U.S. economy at the moment.

I was interested to see if there was any relation or not. If I was still in college I think a study like this would be very interesting to conduct. The maps do look similar but part of that is that any county within a significant metropolitan area is going to show more foreclosures just b/c of the sheer greater number of people compared to rural counties. The population map is not a perfect comparison b/c its colored based upon just population count and not overall percentages. Still, it is useful. At a quick glance a few things pop out...

-Sunbelt cities have not been immune to the housing crisis. In fact they have been hit just as hard, if not harder, than the rust belt due to overly-inflated home prices.

-I was mildly surpised to see the Denver area have so many foreclosures. I'm guessing, like the sunbelt, home prices have soared to levels that the market could not handle.

-The Great Plains and NW have not been effected nearly as bad as the rest of the nation when it comes to foreclosures.

-The areas of Seattle and Salt Lake City have experienced rapid growth similar to those of the sunbelt cities but have not felt major reprocussions in the housing market and both continue to grow in population.

-The Midwest seems to be worse off than the Atlantic Coast. While the east coast struggles with moderate problems with foreclosures they are still modestly growing in population although not nearly as fast as the sunbelt.

-Minneapolis and Madison seem to be the only two midwest cities that are growing significantly but haven't had a large amount of foreclosures.

A map or maps showing number of new jobs and/or unemployment probably would help round out the story of the condition of the U.S. economy at the moment.

Most of the foreclosures in the southwest are from speculators who got greedy. Alot of the houses foreclosed, have renters in them. If you took that out, it might be a little more in line. But with alot of the industries shrinking and on hold it could get much worse. Florida experienced the same kind of migration inflow that AZ and NV did, which is as I understand it, why it is in the same boat. Florida's house of Cards was the first to fall, followed closely by Nevada, and then AZ. People in Phoenix used there houses as a piggy bank. Growth fueled growth out here. Everyone speculated, that bubble created hundreds of thousands of fake trades jobs out here. It has burst, I think it's a very real possibility that the Phoenix unemployment rate could get just as high as MI. Michigan is in a better position, because it has solid industry infrastructure in place. Also the residents are more used to economic cycles, and tend to be less speculative and live more in their means. Almost the only thing we have out here is growth, and people trying to make a quick buck.

Most of the foreclosures in the southwest are from speculators who got greedy. Alot of the houses foreclosed, have renters in them. If you took that out, it might be a little more in line. But with alot of the industries shrinking and on hold it could get much worse. Florida experienced the same kind of migration inflow that AZ and NV did, which is as I understand it, why it is in the same boat. Florida's house of Cards was the first to fall, followed closely by Nevada, and then AZ. People in Phoenix used there houses as a piggy bank. Growth fueled growth out here. Everyone speculated, that bubble created hundreds of thousands of fake trades jobs out here. It has burst, I think it's a very real possibility that the Phoenix unemployment rate could get just as high as MI. Michigan is in a better position, because it has solid industry infrastructure in place. Also the residents are more used to economic cycles, and tend to be less speculative and live more in their means. Almost the only thing we have out here is growth, and people trying to make a quick buck.

The March 11 New Yorker magizine had a good article about the real estate mess in Florida, calling Florida the Ponzi state. Basically it stated that Florida is heavily dependent on taxes on real estate transactions for revenue which is why their other taxes can be so low. As a result there was rampant speculation and flipping with government encouragement rather than oversight since the state government is so dependent upon the income from the transactions.

The New Yorker requires that you either have a subscription or that you pay a buck to see the whole article online so I can

Archived